Thinking of Quiting Cigarettes? How I Did It...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezzum

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2011
Conroe, Texas
First, my advice has a price. When you have quit cigarette's, and you will quit, come here and post. Help others, answer a question or two, others helped me, my time to pay it forward.

We humans learn things differently. For most, 15 days to start a habit and 15 days to break a habit. For smokers, we create a few habits. Hand to mouth, drinking and smoking, morning smoke, etc.. you get the idea. Breaking habits can be hard, but substituting habits is much easier. Smokers are experts at "justification" thinking. "It's just one, what can it hurt?" "I was stressed, so I smoked" "I will start tomorrow", again, you get the idea, I have used them all. "Justification Thinking" is your worst enemy.

So what to do? Here we go!!!

Educate yourself -
Before you start on your path to vaping, do your research. ECF is filled to the brim with outstanding people who make it their mission to help you, but ultimately, it's you who has to do the work, just remember, your never alone here. Learn about everything!! I bet I watched 500 videos on YouTube, and still do today to stay up to date, but I am strange that way, and too much time on my hands. Once you understand what vaping is, and what you will need to start, your ALMOST ready.

Pay yourself -
I can not stress this enough. Do the math. How much do you spend on analogue cigs a month, Find a number and stick with it. Next, figure out your daily spending, cut it in half and this is the amount you Pay Yourself every day, and I mean every single day, get the cash out of the bank, and put it somewhere where you can see it, touch it ect...

Seeing only half of what you save will shock you, and motivate you!! The other half is what you buy your supplies with. My first six months I bought an IPad 2. Woo hoo!

(Note - Your first few months might consume most if not all your calculated savings from cigs, but that's o.k. Because the savings continues forever!!!!)

Mind Tricks -
DO NOT let your mind tell you anything, during the first three days, your mind it will TRY to convince you that vaping sucks, it does not work, you wasted all this money on this stuff, I could go on and on. DO NOT stop Vaping.

After those three days, you will be a Jedi Master over your own mind. Wave your hand and say, "The cigarette smoker your looking for is not here.". Remember, justification thinking is your enemy. There is no reason in this world to smoke another cigarette. Period.

You Are Not Alone -
I stated this before, but it's important. The world of Vaping can be overwhelming for some, we are here to help. If these great people here can help me, your going to be easy. :)

Educate Yourself, Pay Yourself, Avoid Mind Tricks and Knowing Your Not Alone.

That's my formula, what's yours?

Hope it helps, and please, pay it forward.

Stormiefury

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Wylie, TX
I have to say this is an awesome post!!! And my favorite Justification Thinking was "I was stressed" I used it every single day. And the funny thing is now I don't even vape when I'm stress, I've also been a lot happier since I started vaping and I let things roll off my back way more than I used too. I didn't have the 3 day problem. The minute I found the set up and a few flavors that I liked (started with the BLU ecig *yuck*) I was hooked completely. Good Luck Everyone and Happy Vaping!!!

Stormie

RedZone

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2009
Denver, CO, USA
+1 on the make the 50% that you are saving accessible!!! Nothing like watching a pile of money growing right before your eyes.

Only one thing I would add to the end: Don't let triggers that you previously associated to analogs (Going out for a drink, stressful moment, etc., etc., etc. etc.) bring your guard down to thinking that you want/need an analog, even just one!

The majority of ex-smokers that have even just "ONE" analog, after quitting, go back to them full time!

arbogast

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
Norway
Good idea for a thread!

Had an interesting conversation on the subject of NRT, with a physician a cpl of days ago. He agreed with most of what I said (=have learned here at ECF). But added an interesting nugget of info to my knowledge: The amount of money a smoker spends on NRP correlates with the rate of succes.
What has this to do with vaping? For my part vaping's almost became a hobby cobbled with an insatiable gearlust: "I'm off the cigs - now I need this mod to stay off, and must try those cartos... wait ...a passthrough - need that too & a cpl of attys to try this dripping thing they're all talking about etc.

All in all it mounts to a significant initial investment. So my advice:
Spend money on vaping gear!

Stormiefury

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Wylie, TX
Good idea for a thread!

Had an interesting conversation on the subject of NRT, with a physician a cpl of days ago. He agreed with most of what I said (=have learned here at ECF). But added an interesting nugget of info to my knowledge: The amount of money a smoker spends on NRP correlates with the rate of succes.
What has this to do with vaping? For my part vaping's almost became a hobby cobbled with an insatiable gearlust: "I'm off the cigs - now I need this mod to stay off, and must try those cartos... wait ...a passthrough - need that too & a cpl of attys to try this dripping thing they're all talking about etc.

All in all it mounts to a significant initial investment. So my advice:
Spend money on vaping gear!

I'm spending I'm spending......just ordered some drip tips today HAHA

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Cool post! I did some of the same. The self education part, big kudos.

Other notes I believe help:

-Don't be afraid to ask questions! Sometimes doing a search on ECF is really confusing because what you're searching for doesn't always like to come up. If you are confused and at your wits end, just ask if its coming down to you possibly going to the corner store for a pack of nasties. People around here want to help which makes it such a great community.

- A sometimes forgotten part of the site, Blogs. Blogs are your friend here and can for sure help you find a simple answer before you resort to asking a question.

-BEFORE, long before I discovered ECF and affordable e-ciggs I had to really be honest with myself. I knew I wanted to quit, but I had to do some self discovery so to speak. What was holding me back? I came to the realization I loved cigarettes. Well, not cigarettes I loved the habit. This gets a bit philosophical but for me it helped a lot. For the next 6 months before discovering the real world of e-ciggs, I told myself " I hate cigarettes, These things are killing me, That cough? Make no mistake its the smokes, I need to stop" I think conditioning myself to be ready to quit helped make the transition that much easier.

-When I started using my PV I wanted to quit. Big part here. You have to want to quit. Someone can hand you the best bottom feeder mod available, the sicked 24k gold provari, but unless you want to quit going electronic probubly won't help you that much. Okay it might some but most people will stick to the smokes because going to e-ciggs does take effort on your part to learn new things.

-From reading on ECF a lot I noticed so many people saying after they had vaped the taste of an analog was disgusting. When I started using my PV I was always reminding myself "Cigarettes will never taste the same after this. It's just not going to be the same and using my e-cigg is FUN"

-See your PV in a positive light. A fun hobby. Tons of crazy flavors you gotta try! When did you ever smoke a cigarette that tasted like REAL strawberries? At the same time, remember that cigarettes made you sick, made you cough, made you STINK! Plus they cost a friggin small fortune. About $7.50 a pack here! Reminding yourself you are saving yourself money to boot doesn't hurt either.

-The brown phlegm you are bound to cough up. Ya, that's what those cigarettes were doing to you. Do you wanna go back to that?? The answer was easy for me, no.

------

So that's what worked for me :eek:) Sometimes, very rarely I'm tempted for an analog. Then I take a big vape on my eGo... Think about it and know that was just a momentary bout of lunacy.

Last edited:
I quit traditional cigarettes and started vaping 2 months ago today (12/1/2011). The main reason was the fact that my mother in law had just gone through a massive heart surgery and her cardiologist said ecigs were fine. I watched her for a full day after she came to stay with us for recovery and decided it was something I wanted to try...and so far I haven't looked back. Now I mostly just look for flavors to try. Love that I don't feel like I've licked an ashtray all the time. :)

theWayISshut

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2011
Peel Region, CA
Educate yourself -
Before you start on your path to Vaping, do your research. ECF is filled to the brim with outstanding people who make it their mission to help you, but ultimately, it's you who has to do the work, just remember, your never alone here. Learn about everything!! I bet I watched 500 videos on YouTube, and still do today to stay up to date, but I am strange that way, and too much time on my hands. Once you understand what Vaping is, and what you will need to start, your ALMOST ready.
Most of us didn't discover ECF till after we bought our first kits, which are usually the inferior types. Our first instinct is to buy the ones that look exactly like a cigarette. After the first kit, we thought there's another one better and last longer, again with the same size, look and feel, rinse and repeat. We forget that a battery that small can only last that much. Nothing more, nothing less.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Feeling inspired after reading all of your posts. Love the phrase "insatiable gear lust." I've got IGL too :ohmy:. Maybe we could start an IGL Support and Therapy Group. I'm thinking we could put it in the classies. Did you SEE the Orion?

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your story and reminding me how much I like ECF Land. As I've said many times before, we need to start our own country. People here are, without soundy too corny, righteous. I'm inspired every time I see an honest transaction, unselfish words and support shared by total strangers from around the world.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

Happy Vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread