Thinking of trading my ELA for a Simplicity - have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
Hi david. I have your ELA to replace my P18 that I had for years. With my hands I can't use the lock button on the ELA, and I don't need the airflow cap at all because I use rba's without an air hole at the bottom (Phoenix rba)

Looking at a video of the Simplicity, it looks complicated to unscrew the bottom button if I wanted to add washers to the throw, and to add O rings for battery adjustments. I always had trouble getting those in/out of the Precise. This is where the ELA makes it easy with it taking any battery.

Questions:

How hard is it to unscrew that bottom button? I saw a video of it and it looked like it was hard to line everything back up to put the bottom button back on.

If I got the 18650 Simplicity could I use a Kick (clone) and an 18490 or 18500 battery (what I use in the ELA) as far as length fit, or would I have to get a Kicklet to use a kick at all? I don't really care about 18650 batteries, so if the kick and smaller battery would fit down the 18650 tube, that would be ideal for my needs. The SigK (kick clone) fit in my P18 with an 18500 battery just fine, so maybe you can compare your specs of the 18650 Simplicity and the old P18 for me?

If I have to get a Kicklet to use my Kick because it won't fit in the tube with an 18500 battery in the 18650 Simplicity, how MUCH Longer would the Simplicity be? Say compared to my old P18....

Is the diameter of the Simplicity similar to my old P18?

The other option would be an 18500 with a Kicklet?

Probably the most important question >>> The kicklet has a brass connector and the Simplicity has the Rhodium (?) connector = would that decrease the voltage by much?

I *know* I'd be trading down, but I totally trust your craftsmanship, David. I loved my P18. How does the Simplicity compare to the P18? I know the Simplicity has more refinements, but the bottom button may be a prob for me.

sorry for the questions. I don't see many videos on the Simplicity, so I figured you would be the one to know.

Bmannator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Washington USA
PS- forgot another question : are there any air vent holes on the Simplicity? My old P18 had them on the sides of the tube.

thx david. sorry for all the question!!

I'm not sure what the ELA/Simplicity exchange rate is these days (David?)... but I will hook you up... I have several to choose from, in your choice of finish...

Heck, I'll even set it up with the batteries of your choice (am I drooling??? I hope she doesn't notice me staring at her ELA)

Did I mention??? you have beautiful eyes...and a nice ELA as well...

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have bad hands and Im a chick too. ITs a tuff decision. ELAs locking button is a bit stiff, but if you take it apart and wash it and even sand the sides a bit, it will be much easier. ELA is heavier but its very easy on the hands to take apart, adjust the top pin etc.

Simplicity is much lighter but, it takes a lot of turning to lock and take apart and adjusting the top pin is stiffer and you need a screwdriver.

So you have to decide lighter wieght but more hand use to adjust, take apart, and yes the bottom button is tricky to take apart and much harder to screw it down, especially if you end up with the 18500 or longer, you will need a much longer screwdriver. Its not real hard but if your hands and eyes are not so good it can be tricky.

If you have the money Id try both and sell the one that is harder for you. Id hate for you to give up the ELA only to find out it was easier in the long run. Maybe once I get my ELA back I can loan you my SImplicity 350 to "try out"

Just noticed you want a longer Simplicity. Maybe Bman can send one out to you to "test" before buy or trade. Simplicities are going to be around for a while, but ELAs might not be produced again.

Just remembered David mentioned he might make a simplicity type button for ELA, so that might be the "fix" for you:)

Last edited:

Bmannator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Washington USA
I have bad hands and Im a chick too. ITs a tuff decision. ELAs locking button is a bit stiff, but if you take it apart and wash it and even sand the sides a bit, it will be much easier. ELA is heavier but its very easy on the hands to take apart, adjust the top pin etc.

Simplicity is much lighter but, it takes a lot of turning to lock and take apart and adjusting the top pin is stiffer and you need a screwdriver.

So you have to decide lighter wieght but more hand use to adjust, take apart, and yes the bottom button is tricky to take apart and much harder to screw it down, especially if you end up with the 18500 or longer, you will need a much longer screwdriver. Its not real hard but if your hands and eyes are not so good it can be tricky.

If you have the money Id try both and sell the one that is harder for you. Id hate for you to give up the ELA only to find out it was easier in the long run. Maybe once I get my ELA back I can loan you my SImplicity 350 to "try out"

Just noticed you want a longer Simplicity. Maybe Bman can send one out to you to "test" before buy or trade. Simplicities are going to be around for a while, but ELAs might not be produced again.

Nice "save" Pris... Just as I was about to accuse you of "modblocking" me... People can be so quick to judge... I hope you'll forgive me

I know I'm gonna hate myself for this... but If you checked the classifieds right now??? maybe entered super t in the search???
I think I just "blocked" myself??

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I would never want to 'mindblock " you sweetie. I guess in my wierd head, its not a matter of what is is worth but if I cant use it, its worthless to me. I have many times traded down to make sure I get what I want. I just dont want anyone to have "sellers or traders" regret. If she can "test drive" on of yours that might work out great for everyone.

Oh just in case when I said Id let her test mine, it was not so I could get her ELA, but just to let her have peace of mind that she was doing the right thing :) I cant let my SIimplicity go, it was a special gift from a special person.:)

Bmannator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Washington USA
I would never want to 'mindblock " you sweetie. I guess in my wierd head, its not a matter of what is is worth but if I cant use it, its worthless to me. I have many times traded down to make sure I get what I want. I just dont want anyone to have "sellers or traders" regret. If she can "test drive" on of yours that might work out great for everyone.

Oh just in case when I said Id let her test mine, it was not so I could get her ELA, but just to let her have peace of mind that she was doing the right thing :) I cant let my SIimplicity go, it was a special gift from a special person.:)

Oh sure... Do the right thing....That's soooo you... In my defense, can you blame me for trying to talk her out of it BEFORE she came to her senses???
Did I say that out loud??? Thanks a lot Pris... I meant to say she had beautiful eyes...

Hey, I have "bad hands" too... It's more like a carpel tunnel thing.. I probably shouldn't have brought it up...

Last edited:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I'll say this about the Simplicity, it has a very smooth button. The one I had was smoother than my ELA. As for replacing the battery, also super easy threading but not as easy as replacing the ELA's since the finger "grab" area on the Simplicity is much smaller. I would say that anything that the ELA gives you trouble with, the Simplicity will be worse. Don't get me wrong, they are both super quality but the ELA wins in over all simplicity. The Simplicity wins only with weight and an easier to push button. One note in terms of user comfort, the ELA with the flat bottom is a joy to use. No worries about locking it and it stands flat.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
Keep you ELA.

If you want I'll sell you my flat bottom cap at retail. You will never need to lock it.

The airflow cap was an free extra, most sit unused.

You will regent it if you let your ELA go...

What he said...Keep your ELA.. And get the flat bottom button as you will never have to lock your ELA, plus it makes it's upright stance "Rock Solid". I have seen a Simplicity and yes they are nice but not in the same league as an ELA/Precise+18....

Last edited:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Juice
If you decide to sell your ELA, do it the right way. Collect $200 from each entrant and then have them battle it out in a last man standing, no holds barred cage match (ok, two holds barred - no junk hitting and no ramming anything in any orifices. We're not savages after all). Anything past two entrants and you can give the money away to your favorite charity. There is nothing like two people beating each other to a pulp to raise money for a cause.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
thank you anavidfan. yes the ela is heavy for me compared to my old p18. Not insurmountable, and i like that it doesn't roll off a table easily like the P did. I've tried and tried with the ELA locking button, but i think the only way is if my husband works it back and forth for me to break it in. it's not a deal breaker for me, but i just can't use it.

that would be very cool to have a precise type button on the simplicity. if that was an add-on down the road it would make my decision easier for sure. The only reason i would need to get to the button would be to clean it. once set up with washers and spring, i never fiddle with buttons too much. I do like that the simplicity has an adjustable center pin versus my old P18, because i hate using adapters. I can raise up the ELA button to meet the atomizer easily, as all my Phoenix's have different depths. I don't care like most ppl do about whether I have clean lines from atty/tank to mod. On my p18 I'd use stacked aw 3.0's or 18650 of different varieties, or an 18500 along with a SigK. The top would have gaps depending on the config, and as long as it fired i was good to go.

the reason I've been leaning towards an 18650 Simplicity is so that i can use my SigK without having the extra length of the kicklet, so i'm hoping david will know. it should be fine as long as i can screw the top cap down enough to hold it.

Just remembered David mentioned he might make a simplicity type button for ELA, so that might be the "fix" for you:)

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
LOL Bmannator!

I'm not sure what the ELA/Simplicity exchange rate is these days (David?)... but I will hook you up... I have several to choose from, in your choice of finish...

Heck, I'll even set it up with the batteries of your choice (am I drooling??? I hope she doesn't notice me staring at her ELA)

Did I mention??? you have beautiful eyes...and a nice ELA as well...

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
you are SO right anavidfan and that's what makes the step down a hard decision. My husband told me to make sure i don't regret it, as i probably wouldn't be able to get another one. I have the ELA in hand now and it is an absolute beautiful piece of machinery. I happened to take the top cap apart the other day and was amazed at all the intricate work david has done to design this. For those waiting for theirs, it is totally worth the wait.

Because I have it in hand, I am in no real hurry to decide, but i saw that the Simplicities are back in stock so if i can find out if the 18650 will fit an 18500/490 along with a kick i'll be able to figure it out. One of these days I need to roll a 1.2 coil and try it at 3.7 volts. that would probably be about right for me. On my old P18, my perfect vape was 2 AW 3.0's from david stacked with a 2.0 coil. I know not safe to stack, but this was pre-volt days and i'd always unscrew it before putting it down ;-)

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
I hadn't thought of that HauntedMyst. I'll have to go back and look at the Simplicity pics so see how much grab there is. I think it's a small top like the P18 was. David doesn't have many clickable pics on his site. hey david what's up with that? lol

I'll say this about the Simplicity, it has a very smooth button. The one I had was smoother than my ELA. As for replacing the battery, also super easy threading but not as easy as replacing the ELA's since the finger "grab" area on the Simplicity is much smaller. I would say that anything that the ELA gives you trouble with, the Simplicity will be worse. Don't get me wrong, they are both super quality but the ELA wins in over all simplicity. The Simplicity wins only with weight and an easier to push button. One note in terms of user comfort, the ELA with the flat bottom is a joy to use. No worries about locking it and it stands flat.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
I know matty. you're right. I just find myself going back to my Young June that is about worn out, because of the higher volt vaping. Do you guys know if the new Volt2 that goes up to 15 watts (I think) is less troublesome than the original volt, or are they all throw away items from use?

Keep you ELA.

If you want I'll sell you my flat bottom cap at retail. You will never need to lock it.

The airflow cap was an free extra, most sit unused.

You will regent it if you let your ELA go...

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
What he said...Keep your ELA.. And get the flat bottom button as you will never have to lock your ELA, plus it makes it's upright stance "Rock Solid". I have seen a Simplicity and yes they are nice but not in the same league as an ELA/Precise+18....

thank you Riverboat. that's what i was wondering if the fit and finish was as nice as my old P18. from the pics, i would say not, but it is a very good simple mod and i trust david's craftsmanship 100%. he stands behind his product

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
thank you Riverboat. that's what i was wondering if the fit and finish was as nice as my old P18. from the pics, i would say not, but it is a very good simple mod and i trust david's craftsmanship 100%. he stands behind his product

The Simplicity fit is good..But the finish isn't as fine as an ELA/P+. Also I don't know if you Kick your mods? But if you do there is nothing as Kick2 friendly as and ELA..Insert it from the bottom of the extension tube and forget about it..When you change batteries it does not need to come out, where as with a Simplicity it does. And you know what that means it passes by the threads causing wear and tear on the Kick.. You could always use a Simplicity Integrated Kiklet but it adds a lot of extra length IMO... Other then that the Simplicity is a great mod..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread