This is not good (my two cents)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrick

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
South Florida (Broward County)
yea I still step outside to enjoy my vaping. i feel like im being an ....... if im blowing smoke in a closed facility. People see smoke and its automatically got a bad connotation to it. even if you say its odorless its still rude in my eyes. I would never have the indecency to vape in a hospital or even a local shopping center.

I feel about the same. It's still a social habit to me, and I will still be social with smokers at bars/restaurants while I'm vaping. Most of them become highly interested, and that is nothing but good. They also throw me the whole "But you can use that inside,right?", at which time I tell them I still follow a smokers etiquette. If it was 10 below zreo and snowing out, I might push the owner/manager to let me use it inside, but seeing as I live in Florida, that is not a problem. Taking 5-10 steps to walk out the door for my own reasons is totally acceptable in my eyes.

Vaporista

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
Well it's going to be a challenge for acceptance. So if one's going to vape in public then one must be prepared to meet the challenge. I attend a culinary school where analog smoke breaks are few and far between and they are banned to the outdoor fringes of the campus and one of the written rules specifically states absolutely no smoking anywhere near the principal. So after a demonstration class I approached the principal and explained she might want to relook at her smoking policy. When she said why I pulled out my e-cig and gave her a dem. Then I explained gently and the end result was she was fine with it. My approach is to anticipate there will be a problem somewhere. Identify the likely objector and then placify the objector with concise, gentle and firm education. Interesting enough it's the analog users who want to take up vaping and most of the questions in public places where I live come from them. Gentle confrontation works if you confront likely objectors first. But only years of analog smoking can give you that second sense:D

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
if there is a ban it will come from the fda on a national level. the local towns and municipalities can enact local restrictions but i doubt it will be based on the behavior of vaping in public. my 2 cents
How we present ourselves will affect whether we're seen in a positive or negative light. It may well have an impact on future regulations - not only by legislating bodies, but also in the private sector.

People who think its acceptable to laugh and blow smoke in someone's face, or get testy when asked to stop vaping are wrong. On a purely human level, its just plain obnoxious and rude.

Our right to vape is like other civil liberties, and subject to restriction by both government entities and private business owners. If a bar, restaurant or store manager, etc. says we cannot vape in their premises, we have no right to anything beyond politely attempting to explain in the hope that they will change their minds. When it's time for decisions on our right to vape our attitudes will be remembered, and will hurt our cause if we're rude.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
I showed my coworkers and the ceo's wife (who also works here, though not daily) my 510 this am. The big boss' wife has been pushing me to quit for years....

She asked me to show here, and wanted to see how it didn't smell. Then, "Wow, thats great! No more smoking for you! You can do it at your desk, too - just don't when clients come in so they don't get the wrong idea!"

Being polite about showing it, and your intentions, goes a long way :)

Vickery

Aug 16, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL
After reading through the majority of the "Public Reactions" boards I know that I am not going to flaunt my e-cig where it shouldn't be flaunted.

Outside? Sure. I can puff, puff, puff away ^_^ But at resturaunts and such - I will most likely just sneak a few puffs in a bathroom stall.

My personaly opinion is that people generally have no idea what this is yet and that it is unfair to tobacco smokers. Why? I know when I see someone smoking a cig I want one too. Instantly. Even though I'll be vaping - it looks so darn close to the real thing that I get urges to smoke cigs from watching people vape.

I do have a friend that may be fairly obnoxious if he switching to e-cigs. He wants to get the pipe and a sherlock holmes costume. o_O;

I have a feeling that if he chooses to pursue this holmes option - he might not be able to get into his favorite bars for some time x)

Scooter Bob

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
I was kinda waiting for a post like this(my first post, new guy on the board.) I've had the e-cig for three days now, but let me tell some history about the Dallas area and the pool room I play out of(used to anyway.) Their was a total cigarette ban put in place early this year, including billiard venues. Well, the place I play mostly kept smoking under the guise of becoming a retail sales place for cartons of analogs, but some lady came in and stated she'd shut the place down if it wasn't stopped, so it was stopped. Management told me they were pursuing other loop holes, and other pool halls in the adjoining cities went to a "private club" status, hence you could still smoke. Apparently Dallas itself is more strict, cuz still no smoking after a few months.

Now to the e-cig part. I was in there the other day, but didn't glare into players faces with the e-cig, and finally went to the bartender to explain what I had, not a cigarette, and even though management had explored ways to let their old clientele have their nicotene fixes, buy drinks, pay table time...I was put on hold for permission. I began to explain that the E-cig could be good for them, heck sell or rent them out, but all I got was a dodge of eye contact like I was trying to make pot smoking legal or something.

It just seemed contradictory to me that mamagement could explore extremes to allow smoking, yet wouldn't approach an easy way by allowing e-cigs for their cuctomers. This is not a family rec room, 99.9% of players are serious to some degree...I don't think any of the familiar faces there.

First, they evade the new law, now they chicken out on perfectly legal e-cigs. I'm not saying I won't go back to play there, but I feel that it really sucks that they have to be so CS about the question. I do feel though, that since these are not illegal, management is missing a business opportunity. The hint that they could possibly retail these was a spontaneous comment, yet serious money players needing that edge when needed, will buy anything, so a Cheap Chinese EC kit marked up to say $25 might really be a cash cow. Regardless, I lost some respect for the bartender by him quickly saying I wasn't allowed to use my device.

I have to re-iterate, the simple suggestion of the rent and sell opportunity was a brief sentence, and the guy had already gone "Hear no monkey, see no monkey" at the git-go, so that is NOT my issue, nor should it have been reason for being ignored IMPO. S-Bob

Oh, HELLO ALL! I'm going to like it here.

:D
So far the reaction to my e cig has been extremely positive. When I go out if I think anyone has a problem with it, I just strike up a conversation with them. I show them the device and give a brief explination of how it works. It seems if you tell them its like a "fog machine" they understand it better. The last order I placed with my etailer, I had them include a bunch of business cards. I just hand them out like candy. I have even generated some sales for the website by just conversing with patrons.

Scooter Bob

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
Ok, so if one of the cowboys and their girlfriend was making out at the bar, would that have been an "In your face attitude"? What you are saying is highly offensive. If they want to hold hands or make out in a bar, just like straight people do, they shouldn't have to limit their choices of bars to go to.

Bigots only see things in a one sided way. No offense to you since you don't know any better.

Oh and I forgot... if it were two hot women, I'm sure that you'd still have a problem with it, right? Yeah, didn't think so.

I think I am a very liberal thinking hetro, so my answers to over-petting, , can certainly be under patron's scrutiny, and asked to be halted, including hetros. We are getting away from the subject at hand though, e-cigs, which is a far cry from where these posts here have headed. Bob

Scooter Bob

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
Scooter, hundreds of pubs are closing every month in the UK since the smoking ban, yet every time I try and offer some simple PV advice to landlords/landladies they get very uppity:mad: Just cant understand it:confused: Almost at the stage of "why bother"

Uppity is a good word for my experience with their response. Stupidity comes right on top of uppity, since IT IS THEIR LIVELIHOOD they ignore to consider. If it was me, I'd change the business sign to "VAPORS" and let the cops try and create an illegal law quickly, BUT in the meantime, patrons would flock and spend money. Just like the stock market bubble in 2000, someone's going to capitalize in this sweet period of time.

Maybe we should invest in a closed down business, cheap of course, reopen, gather revenues until the FDA "possibly" rules against ECs, and cash out! Quick ventures like this happen all the time. Bob

Superstargoddess

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
After reading through the majority of the "Public Reactions" boards I know that I am not going to flaunt my e-cig where it shouldn't be flaunted.

Outside? Sure. I can puff, puff, puff away ^_^ But at resturaunts and such - I will most likely just sneak a few puffs in a bathroom stall.

My personaly opinion is that people generally have no idea what this is yet and that it is unfair to tobacco smokers. Why? I know when I see someone smoking a cig I want one too. Instantly. Even though I'll be vaping - it looks so darn close to the real thing that I get urges to smoke cigs from watching people vape.

I do have a friend that may be fairly obnoxious if he switching to e-cigs. He wants to get the pipe and a sherlock holmes costume. o_O;

I have a feeling that if he chooses to pursue this holmes option - he might not be able to get into his favorite bars for some time x)

I think that most people are seeing it in the light of that we shouldn't be made to be around other smokers and be around their smoke anymore. Why should we be banished to the "smokers section" for this when it isn't smoking? I noticed that the other day when I was at a bar that had a patio. I hadn't been out on their new patio yet, so I went to check it out, but decided not to stay since I didn't want to be around all of the real smoking and didn't NEED to be.

As long as the place I choose to eat is alright with me vaping, I'm going to do it right there in the center of it all. If they say that it isn't alright, then I will go to the bathroom or outside.

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
A very simple solution which could alleviate any conflict and at the same time allow us the opportunity to educate others. My Dad doesn't allow smoking in his house but on my last visit, I showed my new e-cig to him & my older sister and they were so happy for me that I found this once I explained the concept! I no longer have to go outside to 'smoke' when I visit.

For 16 years I have gone over my brother's house every Saturday night for our usual get together. I've never been allowed to smoke a cigarette in his house, although he has smoked "other" stuff himself. His house, he can do what he wants. Since I've dropped cigarettes and started vaping, this has changed. I think mainly because there's no cigarette smell, but, he lets me vape away now. Plus, the cat is just fascinated by the blue led.

Last edited:

catwoman19

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
Orlando
Hey guys, I really don't believe in being an in-your-face type, but all kidding aside, vaping is not illegal, smelly, or offensive and I personally do not think I need to sneak off like a thief in the night to vape my 510. I find that it causes more curiosity than anything else. I am always ready to explain what it is and how it works with the hope that I will talk one more person into saving his/her life.:thumbs:

50 days analog fee

titanflyer

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I have ordered myself a supply of the new "vaporless" e-juice to try and stave off the plumes that give me away in public. I don't vape in the middle of a group of people unless its that type of environment (bar or outdoor event), I always hold the vape in long enough to get rid of most of it, and since I use screwdrivers and other mods exclusively (no led and certainly doesn't look like a cig), these two things combined may allow me to do something I love doing where I want to do it...but at the first sign of discontent or displeasure with my vaping, I educate by explaining it if possible, then stow it.

The thing that always allows me to put myself on the other side of the coin is to picture that the person shouting at me (never happened to me, but it could) or giving me the stink eye has lost a loved one to cancer....I know its cold and more than a little dark to think that about any one, but it always calms my temper as I can then turn it to empathy for the situation and person... try it, it works.

Vaping is a bad habit, or extension of one anyway... there is always going to be people that don't approve or outright hate it... and they have their rights as well... we ain't gonna win this one in my opinion.

Last edited:

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
Can one not buy these things in the shape of an asthma vapouriser? Surely it's the cylindrical shape and glowing end that ticks the badness boxes, when people see us?

Go to the mods forum. Look up Janty Sticks or Prodigy or Silver bullet. As you state, shape and the vape is what gets noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread