This is worse than buying toilet paper....

Status
Not open for further replies.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Mini, Mini dry Mini this mini that.

1. Is there a site where I can experiment with snus and snuff? Samplers?

2. Who has the best shipping rates?

I am experimenting and would like to try smaller amounts vs take out a mortgage.... I know it isn't that expensive but who has the best start up deal with shipping? I have over $1000.00 in ecigs.... I should be able to just try this on for size. I have tried the getsnus sampler... and other than the minishave to split them and spit and it's kind of a pain...

So links to suppliers that address both would be appreciated.
I thought wine was complicated.
I got through ecigs too, but this is crazy.

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Mini, Mini dry Mini this mini that.

1. Is there a site where I can experiment with snus and snuff? Samplers?

2. Who has the best shipping rates?

I am experimenting and would like to try smaller amounts vs take out a mortgage.... I know it isn't that expensive but who has the best start up deal with shipping? I have over $1000.00 in ecigs.... I should be able to just try this on for size. I have tried the getsnus sampler... and other than the minishave to split them and spit and it's kind of a pain...

So links to suppliers that address both would be appreciated.
I thought wine was complicated.
I got through ecigs too, but this is crazy.

my first sampler was from swedishsnus.com
they are in sweden tho, so it took around 2 weeks to get my orders to arrive in chicago

northerner.com also has some try-out boxes
same issue with the sweden thing

As for shipping, I think getsnus.com is the way to go, and they have different samplers available. You can get the free sample pack for just $1 shipping, and then they have different flavored sampler boxes. I'm waiting for their loose los snus sample box to be back in full stock.

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
the above was just for snus^^^

northerner has a little bit of snuff, but nowhere near the variety that other sites have.

for snuff, I like:

nicotinerush.com - tom, the owner, ships out orders same-day, and I usually get them in 2 days. Shipping isn't free, but the prices are so low that I usually make it worthwhile. Also, you get a free sample each time you order, so you get a mystery snuff which I always end up enjoying and ordering regularly.

mrsnuff.com - this is another site that's raved about, but I haven't ordered from yet

toquesnuff.com - this site has free worldwide shipping, but they only sell toque brand snuffs. if you are new to snuff and worried about shipping, why not give a few toques a try.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Hi 42109, here's a post from last October Kitabz made and is the best rundown on snus I could ever imagine:

By Kitabz

"Portioned snus is tricky to explain because there are several subtypes and further categorisations within those. This is further complicated by multiple uses of the word “portion”. The word “portion” is used to describe all portions in general, also one of the sizes, also one of the strengths and also one of the styles/finishes so this can be somewhat confusing to start with.

Sizes
The easiest way to describe the choices available is to first divide portions into three main categories according to size:

1. Mini – these contain around 0.5g of snus – the second most popular size
2. Portion – these contain around 1g of snus – the most popular size
3. Maxi – these contain around 1.7g of snus – this third most popular size

Cigarette analogy: 1) original/short size, 2) king size and 3) superking size (these are UK descriptions)

Nicotine Strengths
Nicotine strength can be added to the above as follows and describes the nicotine content per gram except for purified portions. Because purified portions have no water content at all, they weigh considerably less; their nicotine content is described in absolute terms (per portion) rather than per gram.

1. Purified only – 6mg per portion
2. Portion or unstated – around 8mg per gram
This strength is available in all sizes and is the default; if it is not stated, this is what it will be
3. Strong – around 11-13mg per gram (also know by the Swedish “Stark” or “Sterk”)
This strength is only available in mini and portion sizes (not maxi)
4. Extra strong – around 15-17mg per gram (also known by the Swedish/Norwegian “Ekstra Stark/Sterk”)
This strength is only available in portion size (neither mini nor maxi)

Cigarette analogy: 1) eclipse, 2) light, 3) regular, 4) high strength

The thing to bear in mind with the strengths is that, aside from the purified portions which are a special case, the descriptions above are relative to the portion size in terms of overall nicotine delivered. A regular portion will have 8mg of nicotine (because it weights one gram) but a strong mini will also have around the same or slightly less because it weighs half as much but has nearly twice the strength of tobacco. Similarly a strong one gram portion will deliver around the same nicotine as a maxi portion because the higher strength nicotine in the strong one gram portion is equalised by the maxi’s larger size.

Finish or Style
For some of the above there are further subdivisions to describe the finish or style:

1. Purified – these contain purified tobacco plus cellulose filler and are completely dry. This style releases the nicotine relatively quickly but also lasts for the least amount of time. Because they are made from purified nicotine, there is no tobacco flavour at all. Any flavours that this style of portion may have are added during manufacture (and there is one brand which is completely flavourless by design).
This type only comes in the mini size, indeed it is thinner than a mini but around the same width and length.
2. Portion or regular – these have been lightly sprayed with tobacco liquid. The causes the nicotine to be released more quickly but has the side effect that they can be a little "drippy". Although spitting is not technically required with snus, some portion snus in this category can cause quite a bit of saliva to be produced.
This type comes in all sizes and strengths.
3. White – these have not been sprayed with tobacco liquid and are mostly dry to the touch however they are still around 50% water (inside the pouch), similar to previous item, it is just that the teabag material has not been additionally sprayed. This type comes in both the mini and the regular size but not the maxi. White portions have a less noticeable taste to start with and take longer to "kick in" than regular portions. However, the flavour and nicotine tend to last for longer.
This type comes in all strengths except extra strong (to date).

Cigarette analogy: 1) eclipse, 2) unfiltered, 3) filtered

You can see from the above where the multiple use of the word “portion” becomes confusing:

Q. Was it a mini? A. No, it’s was a portion.
Q. Was it an extra strong? A. No, it was a portion.
Q. Was it a white? A. No, it was a portion.

In the beginning there was only one type of portion. The minis and maxis were added later, the different strengths were also added later and then the non-sprayed (whites) and purified portions were added later so all of the additional choices have new names whereas the original variety does not, it’s just a portion and this covers size, strength and style.

Colour
Finally, there is colour which describes the colour of the teabag material. Originally there was just one type of material which, before spraying with tobacco liquid was white in colour. The sprayed portions naturally become a light brown colour after treatment. The portions that are not sprayed remain white in colour hence the name “white”. The ones that are sprayed are of course just called “portion” and not “browns”.

So far, so good.

But, to further complicate matters, some manufacturers decided to release teabag material in a black colour so there is now the paradoxical situation where a so-called “white” portion is actually black in colour. This would be straightforward if it could be said that all “blacks” are actually “whites” but sadly this is not the case. There is at least one portion (sprayed) which comes in a black colour (LD Black by Gallagher) so it is best to think of colours as a distinct (and largely irrelevant) category to the finish/style one detailed above. It is said that the black material is softer than the original white material so it’s best to mention why there is a distinction at all (other than aesthetics or marketing).

By this point most people have given up trying to understand everything and have gone back to smoking

Here is a table showing the various permutations (I’ve included “n/a” gaps where there are currently no products in the marketplace but where some could be in the future).

Size______Strength__Style_____Colour__Example brand
Purified__Purified__Purified__White___Oomph Citrus & Menthol
Mini______Portion___Portion___Brown___Granit Mini Portion
Mini______Portion___White_____White___General Mini White
Mini______Strong____Portion___Brown___Taboca Strong Mini
Mini______Strong____White_____White___n/a
Portion___Portion___Portion___Brown___Ettan Portion
Portion___Portion___Portion___Black___LD Black
Portion___Strong____Portion___Brown___Nick (& Johnny) Strong
Portion___Strong____Portion___Black___n/a
Portion___Strong____White_____White___Skruf Stark White
Portion___Strong____White_____Black___General Onyx