Thoughts on the GGTB - first week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Well, I finally got my batteries for my new Christmas GGTB!

It's just perfect. Everything I was hoping for and better.

It's the Nickel Shiny with brass endcaps. The finish is beautiful and it feels very solid and indestructable in my hands. It also looks insanely classy. I am way less self-conscious walking around vaping this thing than I thought I would be, simply because it looks so good. It's like vaping a diamond ring.

While I was waiting longingly for my batteries to arrive, I took the whole thing apart and put it back together again. It is so cleverly machined, and yet extremely simple. I understand how everything works, just looking at it. This is really comforting, on the off chance I ever have to diagnose a problem.

I am vaping LR 510's and LR 306's at 3.7v with a 901-501 adapter, using AW IMR 14500's and Protected Li-Ion AW 17670 batteries.

The 17670's fit snuggly, with no telescopic battery needed. The 14500's are both short and narrow, so with them I use the telescopic battery fully closed. There is no battery rattle whatsoever, no matter how hard I shake it. And I'm not afraid to shake the hell out of it.

I was really excited to see the 901 connector is adjustable. It's an extra bit of flexibility for certain battery combinations. It also suggests it's possible to make a universal connector that can just screw in without replacing the whole top cap (pretty please, Imeo?). Though I was worried, since it's not a standard 901 connection, that my 510 adapter wouldn't work. I've read plenty of horror stories about non-standard mod connectors.

My 901-510 adapter works great. No problems at all.

I do notice, however, that when I use the 14500 + dummy, I need to screw the conductor on the top cap up a bit, which pushes the connector up a bit too. This results in a small gap between my adapter and my atty. Functionally, it's a non-issue. The atty still fires every time. But it does seem to make the draw a bit more airy.

The button lock, and the button itself, are very smooth. It's easy to lock and unlock it, it stays where you set it without unscrewing, and the button fires every time with no wiggling or sticking like the Kr8's and eGo's I'm used to. I can actually hear the slight "clink" when it makes contact with the post. I don't think it's possible for it to fail to fire.

I was also worried, with mods, that I would struggle with the buttons. I have a repetitive stress injury, and a stiff or finicky button would be really hard on my hands. Even my eGo gave me the occasional twinge in my thumb. The GGTB button is fairly light, and easy to press simply by gripping it.

I just really, really love this thing. It's exactly what I wanted - very tough, very reliable, and looks fantastic while it's doing it. I read endless stories of people having problems with their mods, sending them back over and over just to get them returned with even more problems, and I really can't see that happening with my GGTB. There's just nothing to break!

Thank you so much, Imeo, for making a fantastic mechanical mod that normal people can actually get. I know you sell these on a very slim margin, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Also to e-cigz.co.uk for helping work this out.

I'd also like to thank my vaping Santa for such a wonderful gesture. I love this thing to pieces. And it reminds me of you, and the kindness that exists in the vaping community, every time I vape it - which is all the time now!

And finally, also a shout-out to Lighthound, from whom I bought my batteries and charger, for very fast service and the free keychain flashlight!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go marry my mod.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Very nice first thoughts mistress glad you happy with your GGTB,one thing tho I'm not sure I understand about the conductor issue I have the same set up and my firing pin is fully tightened.I usually screw my 510 into the adapter then screw that onto the 901 connector,hope that helps.

With the 14500 + dummy combination on my GGTB, it's a tight fit, So if I screw in the conductor plate a bit more, it gives me a couple more mm of space so I don't have to put quite as much stress on the spring, but it also pushes up the pin on the 901 connector.

So my adapter doesn't screw down quite as far, and when I screw the atty onto the adapter, there's a slight gap. Like I said, functionally a non-issue. But it does change the draw.

clavit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2008
EU
Hi Nomad.
Congrats on your GGTB.
I've also got a GGTB shiny. I use 14500 or 17500's, and they fit perfectly using only one half of the battery dummy! Unscrew the battery dummy all the way, and then only use the tallest part. On mine, the internal thread on the dummy sticks out a bit, and allows me to use my flat-top 17500 :)

sahara4evr

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Georgia
Yeah, adapter first. I could close the gap by screwing the atty on the adapter, then the adapter on the connector. But then the adapter wouldn't screw down as far. Does that matter? Not sure.

I'm with John. Mine screws down about two full turns and seems to work great - well as great as can be with an adapter! Like you, I'm waiting for a 510 end cap.

sahara4evr

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Georgia
Hi Nomad.
Congrats on your GGTB.
I've also got a GGTB shiny. I use 14500 or 17500's, and they fit perfectly using only one half of the battery dummy! Unscrew the battery dummy all the way, and then only use the tallest part. On mine, the internal thread on the dummy sticks out a bit, and allows me to use my flat-top 17500 :)

I never would have thought of doing this... Very cool.

Krisb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
OH
If you ever want to go up in voltage, the ikenvape 901 HV attys paired with the Tenergy RCR-123a Li-ion 3.0V Protected 900mah batteries (2-PACK) @ $4.99 at ikenvape, also is just an incredible vape! I've always been a 510 vaper and was skeptical at wasting money on something new when I was happy with the 510...but ikenvapes 510 HV attys are always sold out, so went with the 901 and I get great vaper, low heat and great flavor. Granted, I do go through juice quicker at the higher voltage!

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Yeah, adapter first. I could close the gap by screwing the atty on the adapter, then the adapter on the connector. But then the adapter wouldn't screw down as far. Does that matter? Not sure.

I got a brand new GGTB about 2 weeks ago and I have/am having the same trouble....it's that Imeo made the center pin longer on this batch. Anyway, Rob at Vapor Kings (where I got it)is going to fix it. It affects the draw...and not in a good way. It's way too airy. I already added two o-rings and it didn't make much difference. I think Rob's going to grind my center pin down. I'm waiting to hear from him about mailing it back. There's a thread about this "batch" (we got them within a week of each other) having longer pins. Someone said it shorted out his atty and Imeo addressed it. There's a picture of where to put the 0-ring to fix it....

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/147733-ggtb-nickel-shiny-top-cap-shorting-901s.html
I just wanted to let you know about that. I don't like the airy draws....my eGo actually vapes better right now....but Rob's working with me...it's in progress.

Last edited:

sahara4evr

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Georgia
I got a brand new GGTB about 2 weeks ago and I have/am having the same trouble....it's that Imeo made the center pin longer on this batch. Anyway, Rob at Vapor Kings (where I got it)is going to fix it. It affects the draw...and not in a good way. It's way too airy. I already added two o-rings and it didn't make much difference. I think Rob's going to grind my center pin down. I'm waiting to hear from him about mailing it back. There's a thread about this "batch" (we got them within a week of each other) having longer pins. Someone said it shorted out his atty and Imeo addressed it. There's a picture of where to put the 0-ring to fix it....

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/147733-ggtb-nickel-shiny-top-cap-shorting-901s.html
I just wanted to let you know about that. I don't like the airy draws....my eGo actually vapes better right now....but Rob's working with me...it's in progress.

Could you see that your center pin was not flush or was not slightly recessed as HoPe described? I think mine probably came from the same batch as yours - received it a couple days before Christmas - but my pin doesn't appear to be too long. However, the draw on my 901 attys is airy. I've never used a 901 before getting the GGTB so I just assumed it was a characteristic of the atty, not a fault of the GG. Also, the 510 is a bit airy, but again I assumed it was the adapter. My 808 cartos work fine, so I'm guessing my pin is not the same as yours. Let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread