Thoughts on the Smoant Cylon 218W Box Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
FWIW I did ask Smoant today if warranties would be honoured if buying from three specific sites:

3F Vape
Ali Express
fast tech

What email did you email to, and might I have a copy, as I was told my FT "warranty" was unacceptable because they "consistently undercut us." If you don't want to PM the email I understand but I'd love to at least know which division responded to you. Because that is internally inconsistent.

This is making me hate Smoant more. I mean... :( I still love my Cylon but if they have a policy they should stick to it,.

Anna

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
What email did you email to, and might I have a copy, as I was told my FT "warranty" was unacceptable because they "consistently undercut us." If you don't want to PM the email I understand but I'd love to at least know which division responded to you. Because that is internally inconsistent.

This is making me hate Smoant more. I mean... :( I still love my Cylon but if they have a policy they should stick to it,.

Anna

I had a response from a guy called Ryan Kurnia who is an admin on the Smoant Global Facebook Page. If you click Join Group you'll see it. Along with posts who've had responses to their failing Cylon screen issue, including some who've had replacements and some who are less than impressed at getting the DIY offer they gave you. In all honesty, the Charon, when it arrives, will be the last involvement I have with Smoant.

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
I will give that a shot later. Thank you. I thought the "we can't support FT thing was bogus. I just set up to join.

Anna

I see you joined OK and given the responses from Smoant admins (that you'll also be able to reference) hopefully you'll be able to get a better resolution and a replacement. As you can see from the 'me too' responses it's not an isolated problem. Another member also posted about the same issue today, again with 'me too' responses. Publicity I guess they don't want, but at least the posts don't get deleted. They definitely need to standardise their response to the issue though and not fob people off with DIY screen replacement. Replace a failed screen with yet another screen (oh and by the way, here's two for when the first fails), good call! I guess the replacement programme is proving costly, hence some damage control measures.

Hard to fathom the mind-sets of some folk who say it's just a $50 mod, what do you expect, move on. I expect it to last more than just a couple of months that's what! Plenty of other manufacturers seem to manage it! Saps like that must be a manufacturers wet dream, by a $50 mod, fails, buy another, fails etc etc etc. Idiots. Sure you won't get Vicious Ant quality for $50, but two months! Just makes you wonder, for those with working Cylons, whether it's just a question of time. I hope not, but makes you think.

As I said before, I like their mods but not the QC. Paint flaking off Battlestars (happened to every one of my friend's Battlestars too - 7 in all) and Cylon screen failures / leather peeling, the Charon will be the last Smoant for me (and I wouldn't be bothering with that if it wasn't a free replacement but I do believe it's better). Too much of a crap shoot.

If you get a replacement I'd suggest hammering hubby's too, sooner it fails the better, if it's going too.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
The numbers of failures we're seeing would hopefully mean this issue will be treated differently than a simple warranty yes / no.

A recall in ecig land? :lol:

LOL I got my smoant "offer" just now. Apparently FT is not an "authorized reseller" because they "always undercut us" and like, Smoant would like to offer me a video about how to replace the screen, and also 2 pieces of screen for 10 dollars.

Sigh. Has anyone replaced their screen? My thought is, "If it's going to go, it will GO already," and also, "ten dollars seems like a WHOLE LOT to me right now.

I might watch the video and see how much of a PITA it is, I guess....

Anna

I could go for the screen. For me that would beat paying $20 to ship a new one, unless that was $10 plus shipping.

They really should be doing something for the issue without cost or at least much cost to the consumer.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
The point I'm making about it being treated differently is more related to the fact that it seems they have released a mod where it's questionable that it was fit for purpose so in that regard they should perhaps be less strict about in / out of warranty and in particular about which supplier warranties they intend to honour. And yes, at less of a cost to the customer.

Luckily for me the replacement was mailed for $15, doubtless due to a SE Asian location. But that was for a replacement mod. $10 or whatever for a couple of $1 screens, and DIY! Seriously! For me, I'd rather pay $20 for a new (and hopefully fault free) mod than $10 for a new screen that might still not fix the issue if the issue is not the screen itself. As ever, YMMV :)

Sure forums will always have the complaints of failure but Cylon issues are all over the place. I've certainly never seen a failure issue of this type reported to this extent. You can also read it another way, how many folks who have failed units either haven't reported in anywhere and just wrote it off, or got it sorted without reporting it anywhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Cylon is discontinued and is only kept on their site due to the stock vendors hold that's already out there.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a replacement Smoant anything, even if they gouge me for shipping. I think they've discontinued it, which is why they want to charge me $10 SHIPPING for like, 2 tiny, light, probably insubstantial pieces of screen, they have a BUNCH LEFT OVER, and want to charge me to get rid of it. I cannot believe it costs 10 dollars by barge to like, send gossamer-like insubstantial screen that weighs negative 0.0003 ounces.

We care has not emailed back by the way, so I don't think their caring is timely.

I could make an annoyed post about this like every time I am on Smoant Official but I imagine that would get old, quickly, even for me.

My favorite was the dude who patronizingly told me to get "not cheap things" such as a Legend. I informed him I had a legend, but it's facebook, so I am going to have to leave the group at any moment, I was also shocked and apparently "changed" by THIS forum, I was all shocked and horrified that someone used the "S" word, and like I used to use it NON stop. My lack of swearing has carried over into many areas, I was all like, "Holy goodness he said the S word oh Mah God." LOL

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
My favorite was the dude who patronizingly told me to get "not cheap things" such as a Legend. I informed him I had a legend,

I have found cheap stuff to be more value than expensive stuff. It's easy math. One DNA mod is roughly $150. I could get 3 cheap mods for that. I've only had the Cylon die early. I haven't heard of DNA having zero failures.

If he was saying the Legend isn't cheap, it's the same price as Cylon, both are built to feel rugged.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a replacement Smoant anything, even if they gouge me for shipping. I think they've discontinued it, which is why they want to charge me $10 SHIPPING for like, 2 tiny, light, probably insubstantial pieces of screen, they have a BUNCH LEFT OVER, and want to charge me to get rid of it. I cannot believe it costs 10 dollars by barge to like, send gossamer-like insubstantial screen that weighs negative 0.0003 ounces.

We care has not emailed back by the way, so I don't think their caring is timely.

I could make an annoyed post about this like every time I am on Smoant Official but I imagine that would get old, quickly, even for me.

My favorite was the dude who patronizingly told me to get "not cheap things" such as a Legend. I informed him I had a legend, but it's facebook, so I am going to have to leave the group at any moment, I was also shocked and apparently "changed" by THIS forum, I was all shocked and horrified that someone used the "S" word, and like I used to use it NON stop. My lack of swearing has carried over into many areas, I was all like, "Holy goodness he said the S word oh Mah God." LOL

Anna

I'm guessing more that the screen fob off is damage control and trying to keep costs down, hence offering some folks screens instead of mods. Even if the Cylon is discontinued , which I suspect it is, they could have just as easily offered you a Charon, as they did me and several others. I think it's just getting costly so they're offering screens if they can get away with it. Any company that honours it's warranties on a botched device by offering DIY replacement screens that they expect you to pay to ship can take a hike as far as I'm concerned, certainly won't be pushing my money their way. As to not mailing back, I'd give them at least 24 hours to take account of time zone differences.

Last edited:
  • Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Actually my legend was less than that, LOL, I got it for free. I didn't tell FB dude that, and I'm just going to ignore the whole situation for now, since turning up the brightness again seems to have worked, I mean, it is what it is, and maybe I will get sick of it before it dies even and retiree it to my med closet.

I have plenty of mod and the Smoant kept me happy enough for the price but I any of y'all have turned down the brightness, turn it back up. I don't know why that would work but it is for now. I think they probably are in damage control it's just infuriating when folks get different responses. Oy.

WTG, Smoant, you are doing well for your brand because there is no way I am going to fall in love with another Smoant mod and have it do this, no thanks. LOL.

Anna

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Good luck, hope you get a better resolution. Agree with you WRT the Facebook group. I will also ditch it once my Charon arrives (still in transit). I find they don't add much value except in a couple of cases plus I get sick and tired of the relentless flow of hand-check posts (definitely a 'notifications off' group) that TBH I find about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Actually my legend was less than that, LOL, I got it for free. I didn't tell FB dude that, and I'm just going to ignore the whole situation for now, since turning up the brightness again seems to have worked, I mean, it is what it is, and maybe I will get sick of it before it dies even and retiree it to my med closet.

I have plenty of mod and the Smoant kept me happy enough for the price but I any of y'all have turned down the brightness, turn it back up. I don't know why that would work but it is for now. I think they probably are in damage control it's just infuriating when folks get different responses. Oy.

WTG, Smoant, you are doing well for your brand because there is no way I am going to fall in love with another Smoant mod and have it do this, no thanks. LOL.

Anna
Did they get back to you?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No, they did not. It's fine though, it still seems to be working despite all odds. I'm moving on with this one there's no point. :) It is still working though, and turning up the brightness seemed to more or less halt everything (which makes no sense, really) but I'll take it. Etc.

I just killed a radius so I'm more focused on that and If/when I can afford to get it fixed hopefully at some point, but it's the board so it's definitely gonna be expensive, although I guess I have no one to blame but me and my hatred of coffee lids. LOL. I'm buying a new coffee cup with a lid and starting to use it next time I'm out, because I really hate drowning a radius more, I had my coffee in its safe place on the floor, and managed to drop three mods which slid across my coffee table, and bullet like, shot to the floor and comingled with the cup of coffee which of course created an intermingling of coffee and vapes .I think. I wasn't super with it this morning. The other ones are, of course, fine.

Oh well now I'm glad I didn't sell my other P3 yet, I can put my P3 threaded Kabuki on that. Still sadness, etc., etc.

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Annoying they didn't get back to you. If it were me I wouldn't let it go, at least not without a sarcastic 'OK tried contacting we care (who obviously don't), no reply, next suggestion? Or is Smoant customer service as good as their mods?'. That's just me though, I can understand why you might think 'ah screw it'. Gets to the point where the return isn't worth the effort. So much for the much vaunted customer support from Smoant! Crap shoot. Same as their mods! Not sure if you saw it but some guy posted a Charon hand check with a nice wallpaper. Few folks posted up along with another guy whose screen is obviously nerfed who said mine beats the lot. Obviously not a problem confined to Cylons but maybe much less widespread.

I'm wondering if they've got to a point where they're just gonna ride out any customer backlash and draw a line under the Cylon. Proving expensive I'm sure. Given the way some folks get treated, their selective honouring of warranties and for some, p**s poor customer service, I wouldn't touch another Smoant mod with a barge pole!!

Annoying about the coffee collision too :( I've always been ultra careful with stuff like that but ever since I accidentally knocked a full glass of water over a new MacBook keyboard it's been a rigid policy of different tables for liquids and electronics, and my coffee cups have screw on lids. Amazingly the Mac survived. Between trying to start it and see if it worked, then a trip to a dealer who told me where the closest service centre was, it seemed to have overheated trying to start and dried everything out, likely before the water had had time to penetrate components. Talk about lucky. Not sure how I'd have explained that to get it done under warranty. Good luck sorting it out.

Last edited:
  • Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thank you. It's still working so I can't really complain too much. To be fair, their initial (and final) offer was the two screens for 10 bucks. I mean... I just rebuilt my Siren V2 24 mm on there with a SS Clapton build (.9) and it's fantastic.

I learned my lesson yesterday, my coffee table is completely CLEARED off and so far no knocking over of vapes. Next time I go out (not quite sure when) I am GETTING a coffee cup with a lid even though I hate them. I totally hate killing a radius more.

Most of my disasters are when I wake up, so most of my setups are now on the other side of the table, and that's what I vape until I wake up. I don't think my Legend would even FIT in my cup, and even if I knocked it over, it's not gonna die (the Legend I mean).

I sincerely learned my lesson, indeed. This seems to be working out better, the husband annoyingly commented that it was his idea (to be fair, the table was) but well, until the lid, it's me and the Legend and also to be fair to Smoant IDK what is going on with the brightness setting but even my clock has no returned to pre line status. . So if they even WANTED me to send it back, I'd have to put it on low brightness for a while, but I expected it to die long ago, so I'm not super stressed.

I only got a Cylon due to everyone who one won saying it was so great, so I'm not overly troubled, to be honest. Not sure I'd buy another Smoant mod but that has more to do with the fact that they wouldn't warranty it from FT, I don't think that's at all reasonable, not so much the quality of the mod on its own. Stuff happens.

I still love my Cylon and will vape it until it dies, probably, and hopefully that will be some far off date, honestly I thought it would be already dead. So, I'm not utterly dismayed.

Anna

• Optimistic
Reactions: Mysteron

dmska

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Fwiw, I received my cylon the third week of July and this past Saturday it stopped firing. It displays a "too hot" error, according to the manual it's overheated. I was outdoors overnight Friday and I do live in Florida but I didn't do anything with this mod that imo should have caused overheating. It may be an isolated issue, but food for thought for anyone considering buying. I did send an email to the wecare address, I'm curious for a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread