Too much Nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preluder77

Aug 1, 2013
Ohio
My wife and I have been using our halo g6 for about a week now with no analogs at all. She has been getting hot flashes and dizziness and just notbfeeling right. We are using 18mg juice and carts? Is it easy to over nicotine yourself.? Would it cause these synptoms or is it possible she is withdrawing from the regualr cigs and there extra chemicals?

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Hard to OD on nic....just stop and the feeling goes away quickly. We are self-preserving, after all. Nicotine overdose and nicotine withdrawal have very similar symptoms. After all, they both cause detoxification in the body, so how could they not be similar? Occasionally, we hear about an allergic reaction to either the PG or the VG, but not often the case. Nicotine OD is extremely rare from vaping. Almost always, these symptoms appear as withdrawal detoxification. When we quit smoking (and start vaping), we are replacing the nicotine, but through a different mechanism of action. 30 seconds to the brain, instead of 5 seconds with smoking. This actually reduces our dependence on nicotine over time. Our body goes through a more severe w/d with the chemical additives in analogs. Over 100 of the 599 additives are there to enhance nicotine uptake and absorption, so there's no way to avoid w/d, no matter how you vape at first. Many of those chemicals are addictive as well, and far more dangerous.

You can always lower the nic level by adding a bit of PG or VG, diluting the solution. Try a small batch, say 3 - 5 ml, vape that and see if you're feeling better. Could be too much nic, but that is not the same as nicotine OD. Try it, you'll probably find the answer there. If the symptoms persist or get worse, it's always a good idea to get checked out by a medical professional. Over time, it's very easy to reduce the nic content in your juice. Many vapers enjoy zero nic, and my family is heading there. We're down to 12 now. At first, though, I needed 36 (first two weeks). All depends on what your smoking habit was like, and certainly, one size does not fit all. Good luck and best to you! welcome and congrats on quitting smoking!

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
If not vaping for 30 minutes and, drinking a big glass of water doesn't "cure" the symptoms, it isn't from too much nicotine and, the best thing to do is see your doctor.

Quitting analogs can cause similar symptoms and, for women so can menopause, PMS, hormonal changes and such. So the best thing to do is see if 30 mins of no vape fixes it and, if not go to the doctor. If it does, then lower nicotine juice is in order.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
My wife and I have been using our halo g6 for about a week now with no analogs at all. She has been getting hot flashes and dizziness and just notbfeeling right. We are using 18mg juice and carts? Is it easy to over nicotine yourself.? Would it cause these synptoms or is it possible she is withdrawing from the regualr cigs and there extra chemicals?

Yes, it is possible to overdo the nicotine. Especially when you first get started and are adjusting to this new thing called "vaping". I know I had to cut my nicotine level back early on if I wanted to get to sleep at nights. Nic is a stimulant and I'd be wide awake until well past three in the morning or something insane like that. Didn't feel bad just... wide awake.

I think, myself, most people need more than one strength handy. I was a heavy smoker (2 packs a day) and keep some 18mg around for times I would usually "crave" a cig big time. Like first one in the morning with coffee. Or after meals. Times like that. But I switch over to 6mg to "coast" most of the day.

(In fact, I just switched. Later than usual. It's 11 in the morning. I'd usually come down sooner than that. Hm.)

I would get some low nic soon as possible. Better to go low and come back up than start high and get too much. Too much nic is not fun. Headaches. Dizziness. Nausea. Bleah!

I also suspect that one thing that gets in the "mix" is that since we smoker types are used to having some level of nicotine in our systems, when we switch to vaping, we throw ourselves a "curve" and there's an adjustment period. We don't do the "inhale" quite "right" for the vapor at first. We're too used to an inhale that works for smoke.

But since the nicotine triggers the "reward" neurotransmitter (dopamine), we unconsciously start adjusting our inhale to fit this new thing and get better at getting the nic into our systems. Problem being, at first you vape a lot to try to get the nic then you get better at getting the nic but you don't realize you're getting better at doing that so you keep going just as fast as before but get more nic. Derhuhwhaaa? :D

There aren't any "hard and fast" rules so you have to kind of wing it. I vape low, low nic (6mg and may go to 3 soon) but if I start having a vague, "Gosh, wouldn't a cigarette be nice?" feeling, switch back to 12 or 18 for a while. Then back down.

Also, myself, I just like vaping (just as I liked smoking even with the ill health effects) so I know I vape a lot. So even though I was a heavy smoker, I have to keep my regular nic level low. Because I know I'll be going, "ooo, yummy" and vaping a lot. :)

...is it possible she is withdrawing from the regualr cigs and there extra chemicals?

Yeah, there is that. There are some 4,000 chemicals (that they've counted so far) in tobacco smoke. Who knows what the heck they all do? I had all kinds of zany things go on in the early days and some going on right now. The weirdest being the dreams. I think the goofy, weird dreams are back. I woke up twice last night convinced a bug was crawling around in my bed. Jumped up, turned on a light... thought, "you idiot go back to bed!" and did. :)

And the "drowsies" are back. I had a week where, wow, I could not wake up. And three days in that week I could have slept right through. All three days. Just not get up at all. The past week or so, I've been waking up really, really, really slowly. Slower than normal. I've always been one of those types that wakes up slow and getting going in the morning takes a while. But this is ridiculous. Coffee don't cut it either.

I sleep a million times better than I have in decades (no, seriously, in decades... I'm 51 and I haven't slept this well since at least my early thirties if not college days). But getting started in the mornings? Oh boy.

(Fortunately, I do "home office" and my commute is just down a hallway. I still almost had a wreck this morning though. :) )

Long winded (I am) story short: go low nic. See if that helps. If you get "cravings", vape the higher stuff a while then go back to the low. It's possible you've not found your "sweet spot" on nicotine levels and such. You did just get started. There's "tweaking" to do.

Yes, there are a bazillion other chemicals that you have suddenly stopped taking into your system. Your body will be doing some adjusting. In the long run, it's good adjusting but it can be weird to get through sometimes.

Most importantly...

Don't neglect the possibility of coincidence.

Just because something happened around the time you started vaping doesn't mean it's the vaping. It could be something we call, "getting sick".

Preluder77

Aug 1, 2013
Ohio
Thanks for the information everyone. We are gonna plat it by ear and make adjustments and see how everything goes for the rest if the week. Going ti try lowering the nic leveks, figures I just ordered a bunch of 18mg juice buy ill try and find some juice to dilute it down with and see what happens. Any idea how long the withdraws might last from no analogs and only vaping and if that's is the issue.

Gautama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Normal, IL
The list that Caridwen linked to is very informative and I would suggest that anyone new to vaping give it a read. For me the side effects from withdrawal were an absolute beast when I tried cold turkey. I had every possible side effect imaginable (migraines, nightmares, sweats, shakes, etc.). When I quit using PV's, I still had many of the symptoms as before, but they were tolerable. In fact, I started vaping (all of 13 days ago) at 24mg and got violent headaches. I was scared that I was od'ing on nic (I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac :blush:) so I moved down to 18mg. I was still getting headaches so I've since moved to 12mg. I've still been getting a few headaches but I know I'm not getting too much nic at 12mg. Since I still get the occasional headache even after I haven't vaped in a while, I've come to the conclusion that my body is getting rid of all the toxins I put in it while on the vile weed. Just my :2c: (I really am enamored by smileys)

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Hard to OD on nic....just stop and the feeling goes away quickly. We are self-preserving, after all. Nicotine overdose and nicotine withdrawal have very similar symptoms. After all, they both cause detoxification in the body, so how could they not be similar? Occasionally, we hear about an allergic reaction to either the PG or the VG, but not often the case. Nicotine OD is extremely rare from Vaping. Almost always, these symptoms appear as withdrawal detoxification. When we quit smoking (and start vaping), we are replacing the nicotine, but through a different mechanism of action. 30 seconds to the brain, instead of 5 seconds with smoking. This actually reduces our dependence on nicotine over time. Our body goes through a more severe w/d with the chemical additives in analogs. Over 100 of the 599 additives are there to enhance nicotine uptake and absorption, so there's no way to avoid w/d, no matter how you vape at first. Many of those chemicals are addictive as well, and far more dangerous.

Generally I agree but I'd bet money (if I had any), that there is an adjustment going on and the amount of nic the new vaper acquires goes up as they get better at doing the vaping.

There was a "study" once that was frankly idiotic where a guy declared all e-cigs to be a "fraud" because no nicotine reached the blood stream. What he did was just get smokers to try e-cigs then test for nicotine in their blood.

Recent studies with experienced vapers showed amounts of nic in the blood stream comparable to smokers.

I would bet (and would love to see a longer term study) that when a "noob" switches, what happens is at first they're not "experienced" in getting the nic. The absorption is different and their habits are geared toward smoking which is a very different way of absorption (much faster for one). But since nicotine triggers the "reward" neurotransmitter (dopamine), even just fumbling around on your own with vaping, you'll start to get better at getting the nicotine. I can see people "overshooting" their personal level of nic in the early stages of vaping.

Not "OD" per se. But enough to be a pain in the keester. Like I had major insomnia at one point and had to drastically lower my nic level. If I use my 12 or 18 before bed, I might as well not go to bed. Nic is a stimulant. Never made myself sick but did disrupt my sleep habits.

That didn't happen at very, very beginning. I suspect as I unconsciously adjusted my habits to fit vaping instead of smoking, I learned how to acquire more nicotine "per puff". But wasn't aware of it and didn't realize I need to adjust some things to fit. In fact, I was finding more liquids I enjoyed so my vaping increased.

Also, since the absorption is slower, with habits geared toward cigs, that makes it easier to overshoot. Cigarette smoke, the absorption is very fast. So you have unconscious, habitual behaviors to cut off your intake when you're approaching the level your body has become used to. With a slower absorption rate, you could easily be misjudging your "cut off" point and, again, overshooting.

Heh. Okay, who wants to write a grant proposal? :D

(Not me. I hated doing those things!)

I had a similar issue. I was vaping 24mg for two weeks then all of a sudden started getting headaches. What I did was get some 0mg of the same flavor and mix 50/50 to get a 12mg juice. So far everything has been going great. The only time I get a little headache is when I'm chain vaping like a mad man. Hope this helps. Oh if you lower your mg it will take some of the throat hit away-FYI.

timinftl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale
If you don't mind perhaps you'd give me some pointers and thoughts.
Only a taste over 4mos at this so kinda squirrely more often than not on thinking; seriously spacing out at times on craving an analog even if I have just spent an hour vapin' I STILL want a darned old cigarette. When I switched over it wasn't to quit smoking at all. The idea was that I could toke up some nic anytime and anywhere. I'm using 50/50mix and it's 24mg per ml. I am getting to a weird frame of mind about the whole thing; I switched my habit from cigs to vaping. If I'm going to vape I often find I need an ashtray and sometimes get nuts behind the fact that I can't find my lighter, also if I am really out there my friends have had some great laughs when they see me reflexively flicking my ashes in their ashtrays. Also I don't this every day but some days I think cigarette smoke smells really foul and the couple times I slipped at first it would remind me just why I didn't like smoking, taste; smell; hassle etc the list gets longer and longer again'st cigs yet I still get to where I think just one wouldn't hurt me nah just one....sigh

You can always lower the nic level by adding a bit of PG or VG, diluting the solution. Try a small batch, say 3 - 5 ml, vape that and see if you're feeling better. Could be too much nic, but that is not the same as nicotine OD. Try it, you'll probably find the answer there. If the symptoms persist or get worse, it's always a good idea to get checked out by a medical professional. Over time, it's very easy to reduce the nic content in your juice. Many vapers enjoy zero nic, and my family is heading there. We're down to 12 now. At first, though, I needed 36 (first two weeks). All depends on what your smoking habit was like, and certainly, one size does not fit all. Good luck and best to you! welcome and congrats on quitting smoking![/QUOTE]

Preluder77

Aug 1, 2013
Ohio
Wow, amazing amount of info you guys have shared, I've learned alot and realize there are things we had not considered and will have to make adjustment and see hiw it goes from there.

I just ordered a 30ml of tribeca 18mg and will want to dilute it. I am assuming if i order some zero nicotine tribeca and mix it 50/50 I will have about 9mg? What if I mix the 6mg 50/50 with the 18mg will that give me 12 mg?

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Wow, amazing amount of info you guys have shared, I've learned alot and realize there are things we had not considered and will have to make adjustment and see hiw it goes from there.

I just ordered a 30ml of tribeca 18mg and will want to dilute it. I am assuming if i order some zero nicotine tribeca and mix it 50/50 I will have about 9mg? What if I mix the 6mg 50/50 with the 18mg will that give me 12 mg?

Yeah, you got the right idea. 50/50 should work as exactly you describe above. Of course, you'll wanna mix the same flavor. Unless you're feeling adventurous. :)

I would be sure to shake the mixed juice well and maybe let it sit at least overnight so it blends decently. Though I do my own mixes from plain nic juice and get away with vigorous shaking of the bottle most of the time.

(By the way, you can get plain nic to cut strong flavors as well. I have a few premade juices I've mixed with 6mg plain nic to bring the flavor down. Like I've a "blue ice" I think from MBV that was 18mg and the flavor was nice but pretty overwhelming so I mixed with 6mg plain and brought it down to 12mg and cut the flavor back. Vaping it right now. Which is what made me think of this.)

Last edited:

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
I have only made a purchase from halo so far, can you point me in the right direction to get the plain Nic? This sounds like a great idea as i can reduce the strength and the flavor if needed so i would def like to have some on hand.

Check Wizard Labs or High Desert Vapes for good prices on unflavored nicotine. The only issue buying from HDV is they only offer 60mg for DIY, I think Wizard has lower concentrations, and if you get stuck there as well, I know Mt. Baker has 6-36mg in fairly large bottles, but unfortunately they're a little expensive.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I have only made a purchase from halo so far, can you point me in the right direction to get the plain Nic? This sounds like a great idea as i can reduce the strength and the flavor if needed so i would def like to have some on hand.

Wizard Labs is my favorite now though I used to buy mostly from Mount Baker. Wizard is less expensive but the Mount Baker might be easier to start with (I started calling it the "easy bake" DIY :) ).

The MBV plain is here: 236-ml-unflavored-nicotine-juice-usa-made. And flavors this way: flavors. They also have the little dripper bottles and other DIY supplies. I use cheap little hypos (you can get at pretty much any pharmacy) without needles (of course) to measure flavors with. The basics are just squirt some flavor into a bottle, top with plain nic, shake well (after you put the cap on of course... I forgot this step once... okay, it was on, just not well).

Mount Baker's plain is more pricey than Wizard but you can pick your nicotine level (all the way down to 0) and your preferred mix of PG/VG so you don't have to worry about that part of the mixing. It's mostly just adding flavors to the plain nic. Easy stuff.

Wizard is over here: Wizard Labs. Great prices. I just got a liter for around $45 (counting shipping cost). But they only have 100% PG or 100% VG and only go down to 12mg/ml. So I ordered a half liter of 18mg/ml PG based nic and a half liter of 100% VG with no nic which I can mix to make 50/50 9mg/ml. Getting any other combo out of it will take some math and I tend to like 50/50 so I'd probably have to order some 100% PG too and I'll think about it later. :)

I'd say start with MBV. Then as you get into it and figure it out, move up. There's a DIY liquid section here on ECF and they do recipes and all and get quite sophisticated with it. I'm not that advanced myself yet. I'm still doing simple stuff.

But I'm saving a ton of money. I have some pretty simple flavors that are big time favorites of mine and mixing up a batch is really easy. Tried a wintergreen from MBV and it reminds me of the candies my grandma always had in her purse when I was a kid. :) Can't seem to get enough of it. It's just one flavor. Squirt some in the bottle, top off with the plain nic, shake. Easy.

And I figure I'm getting down to around maybe ten cents a ml. Bringing my monthly down to, oh, $20 to $30? As opposed to the OHMIGAWD amount of money I was spending on cigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread