Took kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
hi all,

So I am getting into rebuilding my own tank, and making my own coils.

To be safe I got some pre-made coils before going whole hog into getting the wire and such. To that end what do people here recommend as far as a beginner kit for making your own coils?

I’ve seen some good reviews on the coilmaster v3 but I’ve also heard some bad feedback (mostly because they say it’s too basic or the tools aren’t up to scratch) so I’m hoping to get some more opinions on other kits as well.

KC0YNU

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
McPherson, Kansas
I just recently started building coils for RTAs and am using Coil Master V3 kit, and 28 ga A1 Kanthal wire to get my feet wet.

So far only additional tool acquired was one of the ceramic tweezers with the multiple inserts for loosening tanks.

Hope this helps @Letitia any other items this vaper needs?

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I have a Tupperware with my stuff. Beyond what has come with toppers, I have a toenail clippers for cutting wire and trimming the ends. I got a wire scrub brush (paint scrapping) and cut off the wooden handle. It is great for cleaning the burnt gunk off of a coil when re-wicking. Oh, a good, small pair of scissors for trimming the wick. I have a metal dental probe for "nudging" the wick around. I did use a smallish flat-tip screwdriver.

Seems like a lot of other stuff in my box, but, it collects as needed.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The toolmaster kit well, the tools aren't titanium, but they are sufficient for my needs. I do use most of the tools in there (except, OMG, the scissors) and I'm guessing you could get higher quality components by buying them separately, but I do use most things in mine. Though I don't love the coil jig (I get better results just hand wrapping on one piece of the jig and using my own ability to use uniform tension (but, my grandma taught me to knit when I was about 4 and that is also necessary for good knitting, so kind of an ingrained skill, I guess). I love my 510 tab for building, not because it is oh-so accurate, although it's decent, but because I can build my RTA, wick it, and fill it and even test vape it while watching out for catastrophic leaking that I don't want to do all over my far more expensive regulated mod.

I have hand tremors, so that stable base is extremely useful (for me). Your mileage may vary and I'm not that impressed by the screwdrivers, honestly, but it's a decent option if you are looking for something not very expensive to get you up and going.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Anna

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
A coilmaster toolkit is a great place to start. All the tools in it are useable, but they are not the highest of quality. It is worth buying to start with, but you will most likely swap out a couple of pieces for better stuff later down the road, assuming you stick with rebuildables. A tip (which goes with what stols0001 said) the coil jig can be better used without the winder. I find that simple round wire the winder does not do as good of a job as wrapping by hand, but the winder does do a good job with fancy large wire like clapton or alien.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I find the wire snippers work great on wicks, especially wet wicks, which is where I'm usually at when I start snipping and whatnot. Sewing scissors are good for wicks, too.

The "scissors" in the coilmaster kit are probably the ONLY thing I don't use, they're dreadful. (IMHO). But yes I keep everything dedicated to coiling and wicking in that kit and all together. It's easier that way for me....

Anna

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Thanks for all the advice guys (and gals) it’s fantastic. I can see that my guy feeling about the CoilMaster was on the money. I wasn’t expecting much because let’s face it - entry level kits are designed to fill a need at a pricing bracket, so the only thing I was/am expecting is I can get by and learn..... though learning how to make coils will be on par with learning which tools work, don’t work and should be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread