Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
@rosesense I found the VPC to be interesting when I was considering pods. Saw one reviewer show how to open it up to change the battery. Tho it CAN be done it's not intended to be as you have to break the faceplate off to access the screws to open the device.

Like you I came to the conclusion that my VV Evod batts with GS air tanks would be just as good as a pod. Actually thought they were better cuz they had everything, variable power, adjustable AFC and replaceable coils. I passed on pods and just dug out my old stuff from the vape chest.
Then I won my first Zero and found out myself that, at least some, really are a step up from the old gear.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I don’t build low, so do I need a kick?

No, but a Kick provides regulation that a straight mech doesn't have. So you're not locked in to battery voltage but can still adjust it (although a pain, since you do have to take it out to adjust.) So a nice option to have available, imo. And some protection against overcurrent in the event of a fault, also missing in a true mech.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
No, but a Kick provides regulation that a straight mech doesn't have. So you're not locked in to battery voltage but can still adjust it (although a pain, since you do have to take it out to adjust.) So a nice option to have available, imo. And some protection against overcurrent in the event of a fault, also missing in a true mech.
I agree, I have several mech's as back ups and bought a bunch of kicks just incase :)

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
I is here! What's the question?
Dreamer? At $76... and do I really need a kick? I build one side or the other of 1.0

I also have an older mech, correct type of tanks, printed out @Baditude ’s mech safety guide (in case I get senile), use coil builder and Mooch as guides .... before you ask

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Ok... Read back throught the thread a little bit... Only a little bit...

What mechs are in use and with what atomizers?

Without knowing that info, I can state that a 1.2Ω coil on a single battery mech without a kick will yield around an 11 to 15 watt vape across the life of the battery. That's calculating voltages between 3.6V and 4.2V, and not accounting for any voltage drop. I might suggest a 1.1Ω build, but that's start out a little warm... Although the amp draw on these builds is under 5 amps, I'd still suggest a 15-20Amp cell such as the Samsung 25R, LG HG2, Sony VTC6, or Samsung 30Q so there's plenty of buffer should a coil go bad.

A single 2.5 mm 6 wrap 28 AWG Kanthal A1 coil with 3.5 mm legs will yield this. A dual 8 wrap 30 AWG Kanthal A1 2.5 mm 3.5 mm leg build will yield the same resistance, but be a much cooler vape.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Dreamer? At $76... and do I really need a kick? I build one side or the other of 1.0
The Dreamer is a hybrid top cap mod. I would not recommend a kick on a hybrid top cap device. So, no...

I'd recommend the NATO or Broadside/Admiral over a Dreamer as they have a 510 pin.

Additionally, to use a kick, old school mods came with a kick ring that lengthened the mod to allow for the kick's inclusion with an 18650. You'd likely be forced to use a 20650 and a spacer to get a kick to work in a Dreamer.

If your heart is set on using a kick, there are external kicks that can be installed sitting between the mod and the atomizer.

If you want the protections of the kick and don't care about the regulation, you might look at vapesafe fuses.

Note that in this day and age of lower and lower subohm resistances requiring more and more wattage, kicks are relatively hard to find as are vapesafe fuses.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
The Dreamer is a hybrid top cap mod. I would not recommend a kick on a hybrid top cap device. So, no...

I'd recommend the NATO or Broadside/Admiral over a Dreamer as they have a 510 pin.

Additionally, to use a kick, old school mods came with a kick ring that lengthened the mod to allow for the kick's inclusion with an 18650. You'd likely be forced to use a 20650 and a spacer to get a kick to work in a Dreamer.

If your heart is set on using a kick, there are external kicks that can be installed sitting between the mod and the atomizer.

If you want the protections of the kick and don't care about the regulation, you might look at vapesafe fuses.

Note that in this day and age of lower and lower subohm resistances requiring more and more wattage, kicks are relatively hard to find as are vapesafe fuses.
Broadside Admiral was the other one I was looking at. Never used a kick, just making sure I don’t need one to stick in the closet. Both it and the Dreamer are @ the same $. But the Dreamer also takes a 21700. TY for answering so quickly. Always appreciate your endless knowledge!

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Hoosier ecigs still has them for only $4.00! The Kick
My mech's are Nemesis and they take a kick. I bought them at Hoosier 2 years ago when he had a real deal on them, they are really pretty mech's. I think I bought 2 or 3 because they were so cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread