• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Top 3 Guitarists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Just got the new Guitar World magazine July issue in the mail with Jimmy Page on the cover. Inside he talks about Zeppelin from the early days onward and how the first albums were put together in the studio. Pretty interesting stuff.

Guitar World: July 2014 Gear and Lesson Videos | Guitar World

0714_Page620.jpg

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
Just got the new Guitar World magazine July issue in the mail with Jimmy Page on the cover. Inside he talks about Zeppelin from the early days onward and how the first albums were put together in the studio. Pretty interesting stuff.
Does he mention Willie Dixon at all? You know, the guy they stole almost all of their early songs & lyrics from...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Having Seeing Zeppelin a couple of times, I put them as some of my Favorite Albums to listen to while being my Lest Favorite to see in Concert.

Too many Looong, Unorganized Solos and at times Confusing Improvisations.

I've not seen them in person. Being a lead guitar player, I hang on every note and watch their technique. OTOH, I know what you are saying. I never became a Grateful Dead "DeadHead" just because the soloing goes on and on and on with little recognizable structure ....

I learn something every time I watch Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes or Dickie Betts and Duane Allman.

16 bars is enough to build a solo and take it somewhere. If it goes somewhere really good ... another 16 bars. If it gets repetitious or turns into a train wreck, my mind wanders.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think what made the Concerts I saw so Bad was I was Very much Into Zeppelin at the Time.

If you go see someone you are so-so about, and they put on a so-so concert, eah, it's kinda what you thought it Would Be.

Someone told me Once that Hard Core Zepp Fans Don't go to Zeppelin concerts. Because it is a Let Down to them. I couldn't Fathom this until I saw them in Concert for the 1st Time.

Jeddy5

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2014
South Wales UK
Where would Drop D tuning be without the great Ty Tabor?

Pleiades-Gretchen Goes To Nebraska-King's X(1989) - YouTube

Or how about Paul Gilbert?

Paul Gilbert - Scarified - YouTube

I like all those old rock and blues guys but this is 2014. Stuff has happened since the late 70's. :p

Love kings x. Saw them in Cardiff around 89.

Paul Gilbert is insane! Saw him early 90's and met him too. He seemed a little grumpy but Billy Sheehan was lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I think what made the Concerts I saw so Bad was I was Very much Into Zeppelin at the Time.

If you go see someone you are so-so about, and they put on a so-so concert, eah, it's kinda what you thought it Would Be.

Someone told me Once that Hard Core Zepp Fans Don't go to Zeppelin concerts. Because it is a Let Down to them. I couldn't Fathom this until I saw them in Concert for the 1st Time.

I saw Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention in concert as well as Santana back in the early 70s. I wasn't that impressed with their live performances. The studio produces perfection most of the time. Anything can happen in concert venues.

I liked the Allman Brothers best on an outside stage. The Coliseum/auditorium environment just didn't do them justice. They were knockout tight during the summer of 69 when our group played in the same club they did. I know, pictures or it didn't happen.

We were house band in this club. ABB agreed to play one Saturday night a month in return for practice hall use on weeknights. That night, we alternated sets and had our equipment on stage with theirs. You can see my Fender Bandmaster in the back on the left. Purple Haze was our band name and it's in the overhead backdrop on either side of the peace symbol. This picture is my only evidence to being almost famous. Capricorn Records came by to audition us and told us we were ready, but we needed to come back in two years when we were 21 and could legally sign contracts. I'm kind of glad they didn't sign us. ABB and some of the other Capricorn bands ended up with substance issues on the road. :)

Here is the photo for sale on EBAY by the original photographer. There's a magnifier that appears when you hover over the picture. Click the link to see the big picture. If you click the thumbnail, it's tiny.

From right to left, Duane Allman, Butch Trucks, Dickie Betts, Jaimo, Berry Oakley, and in the dark on the left behind the B3, Greg Allman.
Allman Brothers Band Vintage ON Stage Purple Haze Candid Stephen Paley Photo | eBay

Attachments

• Allman Brothers Band at the College Discotech 1969 Portrait.jpg
    Allman Brothers Band at the College Discotech 1969 Portrait.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
I saw Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention in concert as well as Santana back in the early 70s. I wasn't that impressed with their live performances. The studio produces perfection most of the time. Anything can happen in concert venues.
Zappa's concerts were pretty hit or miss. Adrian has told me some horror stories as well as some success stories about shows on the tours he was on.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Zappa's concerts were pretty hit or miss. Adrian has told me some horror stories as well as some success stories about shows on the tours he was on.

The night I saw Santana, Carlos apologized for his percussionist being sick that night. No percussion with Santana is kind of bland.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Maybe a Little Off Topic? Or maybe this is Right on the Money?

But Something I consider when thinking about a Musician is... "Can they Do It Live?".

I've seen a Lot of Shows. A Lot. And some of the people I really Enjoyed listening to on my stereo, just Didn't cut it when the Lights were On.

So then I sit back and Wonder? Yeah... That Guitar Solo was Wicked, but how many Times did they have to do it to Get what was on the Vinyl? Let alone, can it be done Outside of a Studio with All the Members of a Band standing on the Same Stage?

Maybe being able to do Something Live is a Different/Higher Standard than being able to Make a Something in the Studio?

Being able to do it live is an art, that's for sure. I know that when we were playing every weekend and rehearsing one night a week we were tight as could be. Everyone knew the material and could play it in their sleep. When we were on, it was second nature to knock out those tunes with precision. You know it's tight when you can hear a fragment of dead air between accented licks.

During the end of year holiday season we played 3 and 4 gigs a week and got really tight ... and exhausted. We all had day jobs, too. The band money was extra and part of the toy budget for me.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Being able to do it live is an art, that's for sure. I know that when we were playing every weekend and rehearsing one night a week we were tight as could be. Everyone knew the material and could play it in their sleep. When we were on, it was second nature to knock out those tunes with precision. You know it's tight when you can hear a fragment of dead air between accented licks.

During the end of year holiday season we played 3 and 4 gigs a week and got really tight ... and exhausted. We all had day jobs, too. The band money was extra and part of the toy budget for me.

I remember reading in Interview with Alex Lifeson of Rush and the Interviewer commented that Lifeson didn't do many Extravagant Solos which would Showcased his Guitar Talents.

Lifeson replied that Rush's Philosophy about preforming live Wasn't so much about Showcase Talent, it was about Playing the Audience what they came to hear. Rush Songs as they were Recorded and as the Fan was Accustom to hearing them. It was also about Not Being Selfish.

He went on to say that even though he was a Much Better guitar player Now than when Rush originally recorded much of there early albums, And yes, we have Much Better Equipment Now than we did then. But Fans come to hear us play a Song from the 80's. Not and 2000's version song from the 80's. And that sometimes that Double High Hat tap that Neil does right before I do a Finger Crush is the Highlight of the Song for a Fan. It's about what our Fans want to hear than what we Want to play when we go on Stage.

---

I really liked this way of Thinking. That a Band might be Able to do something Technically more advanced because they are Better players now. But want to Keep a High Level of Originality to there Music when they Play Live.

Rush to me is the Bench Mark for Live Performances. I have seen them Play on Many Tours. And have seen Multiple Nights of the Same Tour.

They Start On Time. Fantastic Sound. Lighting that Isn't Over the Top. Visual Effects that Doesn't detract so much as Enhance. They also Make VERY FEW Mistakes. And are Completely Ready to Play when they hit the Stage.

But Most of All, they Play what I came to hear. Rush Songs Spanning Different era's that Bring me Right Back to that Time. With breaking the Spell by Altering them much.

Last edited:

Moodyfisherman

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
City of Destiny, Wa
Alex Lifeson from Rush has some of the best riffs that have lasted thru the years

Robin Trower for that unique sound and hypnotic sound

and Robert Cray because because he would play in a neighborhood band next door to where I grew up...right next door....I think I smoked catnip or something with him even. :D

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Alex Lifeson from Rush has some of the best riffs that have lasted thru the years

Robin Trower for that unique sound and hypnotic sound

and Robert Cray because because he would play in a neighborhood band next door to where I grew up...right next door....I think I smoked catnip or something with him even. :D

Yeah... When you go to Wikipedia and lookup "Required Music for Headphones", this is Going to be High on the List.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Yeah... When you go to Wikipedia and lookup "Required Music for Headphones", this is Going to be High on the List.

I started playing the video (for Web surfing soundtrack) but the whole album deserves to be played.

I'm queing the LP up on my Grado/Technics/Marantz/KlipshKG5.2s as soon as I hit post reply

one of my top 10 albums of all time - Bridge of Sighs - Robin Trower @ AllMusic

The gold CD is worth getting. In gold I have:

RT ~ BOS
Ten Years After ~ SSSSH/Cricklewood Green
Who's Next
Rush ~ 2112
Steve Miller ~ Fly Like An Eagle
Lynyrd Skynyrd ~ Pronounced & Street Survivors
Traffic ~ Low Spark & Shootout At The Fantasy Factory
Jethro Tull ~ Passion Play

I don't have many in Gold but what I do have is worth it's weight :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread