Timeless Question....... Who is the Greatest???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree... Little wing and Voodoo chile were profected by Stevie Ray

I'm with these guys - Stevie Ray is the best guitar player of all time (so far) ... and I say that even though I'm old enough to remember Jimi at Woodstock, and must have seen that Woodstock movie 25+ times. Whoever said that Hendrix started it, and Stevie Ray Vaughan perfected it has got it right.

I'm really glad that I caught this thread. You made my day! I just went to fill up the CD player, and the first 5 that I grabbed were: Texas Flood, Soul to Soul, In Step, A Tribute to...; and one Clapton - Riding with the King. That'll get me motivated this morning!

Two thumbs up.

mace bewley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2009
Rogers AR
Riding with the King is a great album. I seen B.B. last year and he has to be .... what 70's
and he was GREAT. Also Got to see Buddy Guy and I have some of his albums and have seen him on the tribute to SRV, but to see him live is an honor. I have never seen someone do such overbends, it was amazing.

Mace

mace bewley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2009
Rogers AR
Last edited:

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
Wow, so many of the GREATS have already been listed.

Just off the top of my head, and glancing at CDs on the rack... these are some of my favorites:

Eric Johnson
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Yngwie Malmsteen
Steve Vai
John Petrucci
Edgar Cruz
Erik Mongrain

It's a nice mix. Maybe a couple of not-so-greats... but I like 'em.

Wow, it's amazing to see a friend of mine's name in this thread. Yeah, he's an amazing player and it's nice to see his fans outside the OKC area praising his style. :)

Another thing to consider about Cruz is that he has composed and arranged like 500+ songs, mostly adaptations of modern songs for classical guitar. That accomplishment alone is outstanding. :thumbs:

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
As much as I love Jimi, listen to anything he did, followed by SRV's cover.
Jimi might have inovated it, But Stevie perfected it.
Mace

Yes Jimi was the innovator and SRVs imitation was the sincerest form of flattery. I agree SRV played a mean guitar but Hendrix would take the first three places for me and we must remember that Jimi was playing with some relatively primitive equipment, Wah & Fuzz, Marshall Stack and an unearthly control of feedback and sustain. His Star Spangled Banner in 1969 at Woodstock was the pinnacle in my ears and he struggled after that to find the same level of inspired playing.

1. Most innovative and avant garde musically.
2. Most technically gifted and experimental.
3. Most inspirational and moving.

Brian May.
A true guitarist builds his own guitar out of washing machine parts and mantlepeices. :D

.....and his hair out of tumbleweed!!!;-)

While Jimi Hendrix and many others are great, this dicussion begins and ends with David Gilmour, the most underrated and greastest guitar player ever. His guitar solos on almost every Pink Floyd song make my heart melt.

Good choice and a great shame that Syd never made it past the 60s.

JimiHendrix2.jpg

File:Syd.jpg
425px-Syd.jpg

BiteMe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
Stanwood, WA
Ahhhhhh.... Fresca... you finally mentioned the guy I was thinking of when you said John Petrucci....Absolutely fantastic!
SRV has got the blues Nailed!!!
Hendrix ... wayyyyy too far ahead of his time
David Gilmour... Innovation extreme

Way too many others that get overlooked, like Kenny Wayne Sheppard..(Granted, he's a copy cat)

One other thing I'd like to bring up here is bass players..... the only reason I do that, is because people like Victor Wooten can solo on a bass and do things that even the great guitar players can only think about!! Check him out on U-Tube!! "Amazing Grace" for starters, then go from there.:thumb:
YouTube - Victor Wooten bass solo & Amazing Grace - Budapest 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread