• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Top 3 Guitarists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I gotta say Clapton and Santana. Both of them, when you listen, just make it sound effortless, and like they're enjoying themselves rather than working at it.

For the third, I'd have to pick Ian Anderson, just because the accoustic Tull tunes are near and dear to my heart. (And he's probably the only flautist who could possibly make the list!)

Edit: Oh crap, how could I have left out Jerry Garcia????????

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I thought because of what is Under my User Name that it was Just Understood.

LOL

OK, color me very confused. I love Tull, but I must confess that the only album cover I've actually read cover-to-cover was "Thick as a Brick". I always thought that Ian Anderson did most of the accoustic guitar (including 0^10). Am I an idiot? (I don't mean to start a poll here, a simple "yes" would suffice!)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
OK, color me very confused. I love Tull, but I must confess that the only album cover I've actually read cover-to-cover was "Thick as a Brick". I always thought that Ian Anderson did most of the accoustic guitar (including 0^10). Am I an idiot? (I don't mean to start a poll here, a simple "yes" would suffice!)

Ian Anderson has done much Acoustic work in Tull. Especially on the Later stuff. But Martin Bare is kinda the Back Bone.

BTW - If you like Tull's Sound, and have never got a chance to check out "Catfish Rising", I would Highly Recommended it. It's very Late in the Tull Discography. But a Great Album.

BTW2 - Tull Triva: Do you know that Ian Anderson never has had a License to drive a Car?

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Ian Anderson has done much Acoustic work in Tull. Especially on the Later stuff. But Martin Bare is kinda the Back Bone.

BTW - If you like Tull's Sound, and have never got a chance to check out "Catfish Rising", I would Highly Recommended it. It's very Late in the Tull Discography. But a Great Album.

Good to hear that track! :) I haven't heard any Tull for many years! Now I have to go and find a CD! - (love the album cover from Catfish rising!)

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Good to hear that track! :) I haven't heard any Tull for many years! Now I have to go and find a CD! - (love the album cover from Catfish rising!)

A great 1-2 punch is Wondrin' Aloud/Wondrin' Again. I made a full CD out of these two songs alternating.

From Aqualung and Living In The Past

Sambuca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Albuquerque
i hope no one minds:

in no particular order:

Paco De Lucia

Steve Howe

Stevie Rave On

runners up, but in leagues of their own:

BB King: who does everyone want to sound like?
Carlos Santana: if guitars had souls, they'd want his.
Mick Ronson: cuz less can be more
John McLaughlin: ok, maybe too fast!
Peter Frampton: but only with Humble Pie, making 3 humbuckers sing, scream and wail (check out the complete Fillmore - freeking rocks!)
Todd Rundgren: in his Utopia days, Ritalin fused mania! (and my personal favorite from '74-'85)
George Harrison: in the 60's and early 70's, cuz it was sweet!
Alvin Lee: primary in Ten Years After pre '75, before it got boring
Les Paul: cuz not many would be here w/o him

honorable mention #1 Zal Cleminson Sensational Alex Harvey Band

honorable mention#2, if he could find some soul: Al DiMeola

you can be upset that Zappa isn't on the list. i'd understand (but i was listening to Todd)

you may now return to your regular programming

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Catfish Rising is just a Good Tull CD. Period. Regardless of Era.

I'm Dyed in the Wool "Songs from the Wood" when it some to Tull. But Catfish Rising is one of those Rare Albums that 20 (or 30 Years - LOL) years later sounds Great.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Steve Howe

George Harrison: in the 60's and early 70's, cuz it was sweet!
Alvin Lee: primary in Ten Years After pre '75, before it got boring
Les Paul: cuz not many would be here w/o him

Hey Right On for some Mention of Yes and Alvin Lee.

Fragile, Close to the Edge and Songs from Topographical Oceans are Great Albums.

Sambuca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Albuquerque
Hey Right On for some Mention of Yes and Alvin Lee.

Fragile, Close to the Edge and Songs from Topographical Oceans are Great Albums.

check out YES symphonic on dvd. for not having rick wakeman, it's awesome. they play close to the edge, gates of delirium and ritual: nous sommes du soleil and you still get and you and i and starship trooper. the new songs, 3 of them, are pretty catchy too. it's almost the best yes album there is, even though seems that impossible w/o rick. but the keyboard player they use is not bad at all and the symphony really helps fill it in for rick not being there.

plus there's some really good yes and ten years after boots.

humble pie complete fillmore has the best peter frampton you'll ever hear. it's why he quit the band. management was making them play really hard, like all the time. they don't even play their own stuff on it. there's only 1 pie original, stone cold fever. so they take some stuff that isn't rock, and pretty much kick the crap out of it. steve gets to be a bit much, but 4 versions of gilded splinters, unedited, is great. that's how they snuck slow music into their sets. they just speed up and slow it down all throughout the song. i've been listening to the 1st cd for 8 months straight now. there's a zillion screw ups, but that just makes them play harder. pete's guitar breaks and steve can't get near the mike after 15 minutes. he gets shocked so many times he just starts laughing and starts singing about it. (after a few ...'s!!) to make up for it all, they just rock the place apart. the original fillmore record sounds really sterile compared to this. (and almost too "perfect".) they edited it too much. this has no editing. just like a boot. it's my favorite live cd now and yes symphonic gets thrown on at least once a week.(cuz the symphony makes gates of delirium and close to the edge sound really, really tasty!)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
don't get the bluray, just the regular dvd. there is animation done for a lot of the dvd. on the regular dvd, it's just an option; on the bluray, it automatically goes to the animation, cuz that's how they made it.

Thanks for the Heads Up.

Sounds like the Regular DVD is a Better Call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread