Top air RTAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Any followers of Greek / Roman mythology? Athena was the daughter of Zeus...
Yes, my BIL calls me Artemis because I'm always trying to get into the boys' club.
upload_2019-5-17_0-10-48.jpeg

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Bought a bunch of 'em for side by side comparisons. So far, I have the following:

Wotofo Sapor 25
    OBS Engine
    OBS Engine Mini
    OBS Engine Nano
    OBS Engine II
    GeekVape Zeus
    GeekVape Zeus Dual
    Kaees Solomon 2
    Digiflavor Themis Standard
    Vapefly Horus
    QP Juggerknot
    Augvape Intake
    Aspire Cleito EXO (with RBA)
    Smok X-Baby (with RBA)

ON ORDER:
    UD Athlon

Have I missed any? If I have, speak up and I'll add it to the collections for testing.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna start building and vaping these in earnest. I'll post my thoughts...

G'day Shawn.
    I'm looking to build my first RTA and noticed you have a nice collection of them!
    I would like I top airflow as well.

My questions to your good self are
    1. Which tank would be the easiest to build?
    2. Which tank would be your Favourite?!
    I would prefer a nice easy build been my first time.

Any help is great help:):)

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    G'day Shawn.
    I'm looking to build my first RTA and noticed you have a nice collection of them!

Top air and easy? If you can find one, the Smok TFV8 X-Tank or Baby Beast Brother.

SMOK TFV8 X-Baby Tank | Baby Beast Vape Tanks

It's a sub ohm tank with an available RBA section. This way, if you have a bad build you can switch to a coil head. The RBA section has a pretty simple velocity deck making it quite easy to build. Because it's an RBA, the barrel will slip on one off without having to manipulate the entire tank. There is an available, aftermarket bubbles glass for it, too.

If you really feel you must have a dedicated RTA, the original OBS Engine is quite easy to build... again, it has a velocity deck. You will have to manipulate the tank a bit to get it together.

A great deal of the remainder of the tanks are postless decks. They're actually quite easy to build, but can be a little fiddly to wick, and there's some mucking about trying to get the right leg length. Avoid the OBS Engine V2 for a while. It has an T-post setup that's a PITA to use.

I've written this reply off the top of my head without looking at the wall-o-tanks, so I reserve the right to change my mind if I happen to think of something later :)

Forgot to say which one was my favorite. The answer there is a solid resounding I dont know. There are still a few I haven't reviewed, and going through so many over the last few months... well, I've not given all of 'em the run time they truly deserve to make such a determination. I can tell you which are my least favorite. I could also tell you which I've used most.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Top air and easy? If you can find one, the Smok TFV8 X-Tank or Baby Beast Brother.

SMOK TFV8 X-Baby Tank | Baby Beast Vape Tanks

It's a sub ohm tank with an available RBA section. This way, if you have a bad build you can switch to a coil head. The RBA section has a pretty simple velocity deck making it quite easy to build. Because it's an RBA, the barrel will slip on one off without having to manipulate the entire tank. There is an available, aftermarket bubbles glass for it, too.

If you really feel you must have a dedicated RTA, the original OBS Engine is quite easy to build... again, it has a velocity deck. You will have to manipulate the tank a bit to get it together.

A great deal of the remainder of the tanks are postless decks. They're actually quite easy to build, but can be a little fiddly to wick, and there's some mucking about trying to get the right leg length. Avoid the OBS Engine V2 for a while. It has an T-post setup that's a PITA to use.

I've written this reply off the top of my head without looking at the wall-o-tanks, so I reserve the right to change my mind if I happen to think of something later :)

Forgot to say which one was my favorite. The answer there is a solid resounding I dont know. There are still a few I haven't reviewed, and going through so many over the last few months... well, I've not given all of 'em the run time they truly deserve to make such a determination. I can tell you which are my least favorite. I could also tell you which I've used most.

Thanks for that.
    I shall have a look:D
    I was having a bit of a gander at the OBS Engine:thumbs:

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    G'day Shawn.

I am obviously not Shawn. :) I do have my own opinions about the top AF RTAs that I have used and my favorite of the bunch is the Augvape Intake. Super, super easy to build and wick. If you decide to buy one, I like the wicking method that Lightning Vapes uses in their video.

For me, this RTA has better flavor than the OBS Engine, Engine Nano, and the original Zeus. I think the only other top AF RTA I have used is the Dead Rabbit, which I like but would not recommend to a beginner as it is a PITA to get right.

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
    Apr 30, 2019
    Gulf Coast, TX
    Sorry to threadjack, but I have never used a top AF atty before, can anyone explain the difference in how it feels/vapes compared to a bottom AF? I am under the impression that top AF is a bit more restrictive but I don't think that is necessarily true since it would depend a lot upon the design.

Reactions: Letitia

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I am obviously not Shawn. :) I do have my own opinions about the top AF RTAs that I have used and my favorite of the bunch is the Augvape Intake. Super, super easy to build and wick. If you decide to buy one, I like the wicking method that Lightning Vapes uses in their video.

For me, this RTA has better flavor than the OBS Engine, Engine Nano, and the original Zeus. I think the only other top AF RTA I have used is the Dead Rabbit, which I like but would not recommend to a beginner as it is a PITA to get right.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Sorry to threadjack, but I have never used a top AF atty before, can anyone explain the difference in how it feels/vapes compared to a bottom AF? I am under the impression that top AF is a bit more restrictive but I don't think that is necessarily true since it would depend a lot upon the design.
    The devil is in the details, as they say...

Some can be quite restrictive... down to MTL. Others are quite airy. The difference initially came from HOW the air hit the coils. In early iterations, it hit the coils on top, and flavor wasn't the greatest. Spit back was also a problem. Newer designs with double wall chambers bring the air all the way to the bottom and sides of the coils. To me, at this point in the game, there is very little difference between top air and other RTAs in terms of performance. Leaking, on the other hand, can be nearly completely eliminated by using top air RTAs. Don't get me wrong... I still use a wide variety of RTAs with vastly different designs (using an OG Griffin tonight), but I am beginning to lean heavily towards top air...

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    ExVape Expromizer V4
    20190520_151516_compress97.jpg

This was a surprise!

It's a 23mm RTA standing 56mm tall with a 2ml capacity. In the box, there are o-rings, spare phillips screws, spare glass (it comes with an ultem tank installed), and a spare black drip tip insert (remember the 2 part Kayfun V5 drip tip? Yeah... like that... it comes with an ultem too installed.

This makes the third MTL top air atty I've reviewed. The OBS Engine MTL, the Geekvape Ammit MTL, and this. The Geekvape Ammit has the most air, this has the least, and the Engine sits right in the middle. Where the Engine and Ammit can manage a VERY restricted BL hit when wide open, this - even wide open - is tight. Dialed down, it's very tight indeed.

There are 6 pinholes on one side covered by a long, thin cyclops eye that allows anything from one to six to be open. I'm running it at 3. The air that enters here is passed through a double chimney to come at the coil through one small hole underneath.
    20190520_151608_compress88.jpg
    20190520_151812_compress38.jpg
    The deck is a two-post affair such as those seen on a plethora of single coil tanks. There are two large screws capable of trapping small round wire as well as small exotic builds (I'm running 6 wraps of 26AWG SS316L 3mm. There are notches under the pieces that rise to either side of the screws that allow the wire to be bent around and snipped inside to avoid grounding out on the chimney.
    20190520_151821_compress66.jpg
    Wrapped around the deck is a collar with three holes for juice flow. I'm finding that I can run it with just one hole open and still get plenty.
    20190520_151608_compress88.jpg
    Building is easy. The coil can be wrapped either direction, and tucked under the screws. As with other atties like this, I recommend putting one under the screw, and lifting the other one into place with the screw backed out a bit more.
    20190520_152715_compress64.jpg
    Once installed and tightened, fold the wires back and snip them. Positioning the coil is simple, too... center between the posts and just above the central airflow hole.
    20190520_152809_compress23.jpg
    Wicking is likewise easy. Place the cotton in the coil, cut just shy of the full atty width, and tuck. No need to comb... there's plenty of room for the cotton. Make sure that all three holes are filled (not stuffed) or flooding might occur.
    20190520_153147_compress72.jpg
    Assemble and fill. Although this is a MTL tank? The fill ports would do many a sub ohm tank proud.
    20190520_153433_compress35.jpg
    Vaping it is the best experience for the three I've reviewed for MTL. I don't typically MTL (you read the disclaimer in the previous MTL atty reviews, right?), and I will reach for this one frequently in spite of that. The flavor is good, there's no real spit back (I do, on occasion get a drop or two in my mouth but it's not scalding hot, making me think it's condensation in that tight drip tip), it's easy to build and fill... I can almost find no flaws.

Almost... I find the inclusion of JFC to be rather unnecessary and annoying as the tank will often spin around when what I wanted to do was adjust the AFC. That, and the AFC is quite stiff.
    20190520_153723_compress82.jpg
    Honestly, if you're an MTL vaper, I think you're gonna like this one. Not that the Ammit MTL and Engine MTL are bad... they're not... but this is better.

Attachments

• 20190520_151704_compress15.jpg
      20190520_151704_compress15.jpg
      221.3 KB · Views: 68

hiclass

ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2016
    Just ran through the list and realized that I've left one off...

The Advken Owl is a top air sub ohm tank, but it will use the Smok Baby Prince RBA section...

I'll add it to the list...

I have avoid buying any SMOK product for years, so I am unfamiliar with them now.

Is it possible for me to buy just the Smok Baby Prince RBA section alone? I am eager to try it in my Advken Owl.

muth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA

Quite an interesting wicking method. Thx for the vid.

Reactions: PJReid

muth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA
    I have avoid buying any SMOK product for years, so I am unfamiliar with them now.

Is it possible for me to buy just the Smok Baby Prince RBA section alone? I am eager to try it in my Advken Owl.
    Sure. Here's one place. There are others. Google fu.

Prince RBA Deck

• Useful
    Reactions: Letitia

muth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA
    G'day Shawn.

I look forward to seeing how it fairs for you. Post some pix when you're ready. And ask away with any questions. We're happy to help:)

hiclass

ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2016

Intake is mean only for restrictive MTL vaping, even with its AFC fully open, you can't use it for DL nor big airflow vaping. Have you tried GeekVape Ammit MTL? It is similar to Intake, who knows, you might like it more than Intake... Btw, installing a coil by the Intake's clamp like posts is not easy, at least not for beginners. That kind of posts:
    AugVape Intake deck.jpg

seems to suit an octopus rather than human (with only 2 limited hands)

OBS Engine Nano can have real big airflow if you open the AFC fully, but its airflow coverage and its deck design (posts and juice holes positions) are mean for 3mm or smaller coil.

Original Zeus can be used for both MTL or DL with great flavor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread