Top Feed v Bottom Feed - cagematch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tresgay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
St Albans, WV
I still don't understand HOW the bottom feeders work, but know that they do.

I bought a Boge Revolution 2, made vapor love to it for an entire weekend, and managed to short it out. I have some kind of fancy bottom feeder waiting for me at home (I'm on yet another business trip) and I bought two more Boge Body kits with spare squonk bottles & needles. Those will probably get in the afternoon of the morning that I leave for my next trip.

SO, on with the real topic.

How does the vaping experience differ between these two mods? Pick your favourite and tell me what you like about it over the other.

Thanks!

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
that's funny, I used nothing but Reo's for the last year until I found a love for VV so I'm a big fan of bottom feeders I'm waiting for the VV Reo's to be release sometime in the near future. I just bought my first top feeder a VVproV from notcigs but it hasn't shipped yet looking forward to it I think bottom feeding vs top feeding is pretty much the same vaping experience but hopefully I'll know for sure in the next few days, sorry your boge pooped out so quickly that's a bummer
I bought a Boge Revolution 2, made vapor love to it for an entire weekend,

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
There's a few feeder types out there. For instance, your Boge Rev2 is a gravity feeder. Let me try to explain the best way that I can.

*Gravity Feeder

This also has a bottle inside of the body. But, there isn't a tube in it. So, the user has to invert the mod and then they lightly press the bottle. With the help of gravity and pressure this pushed the juice either into the atomizer or a chamber. When it's back upright. Then it helps to press the bottle again to get the juice all the way into the atomizer.

ex. Boge Rev2, Phidias, Vmod

*Top Feeder

They usually have a tube that goes from the bottom of the bottle. All the way to the top of the atomizer. Usually have a special cap/drip tip with the tube attached to it. When you either press the bottle or a button (like the VVPV). Then a drop or two goes in directly to the top of the atomizer. Which is exactly like dripping.

Ex. GLV3, VVPV

* Bottom Feeder

There is a tube that is connected from the bottom of the bottle to the 510 connection. Some have a spike that goes up and some others don't, like a REO. The way this works is when you lightly press the bottle. The pressure pushed the juice up through the feeding tube. Up through the atomizer connection and comes out of the little vent holes that are there. Then all the person has to do is perform some primer puffs. To pull the juice into the atomizer itself.

Ex. REO, Red Sky Mods, Grip

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Using an atty, there is a flavor difference between a bottom and a top feeder. I have trouble explaining it because I can't figure out why... but it's true. There is a flavor difference from dripping and bottom feeding and top feeding is dripping.

I really enjoy my REO. I've only had it a couple of months, but it has found a regular place in my daily vaping. I carry it at least 8 hours a day. I had an old goat before that and used it literally to death. I had another plastic bottom feeder I traded for and only traded it away recently because I have a REO.

I had a plastic top feeder for a while about a year ago. It was probably among my favorite mods ever even though it was just a plastic box. The only complaint I ever had about it was that it was a little tough to control how much juice I was feeding. I often flooded attys with it. It was a serious bummer when it got broken, and I've been hoping someone would build a more durable top feeder some day. -- That day has come.

I have a new top feeder on the way. In fact, it shipped today. I'll have a notcigs vvpv in hand next Tuesday. That mod should address both issues the plastic top feeder presented - fragility and juice feed control. It's a metal top feeder with a mechanical pump. The pump delivers 2 drops per button press. - It also happens to be VV, but VV isn't the feature I'm excited about. Only a few people have them in hand so far, and a couple of issues have come up. But, it seems that those issues have been addressed and fixed in the ones shipping now. I'm really looking forward to it.

Another top feeder out there is from Great lakes Vapor. Their GLV-3 has some options. It can be either a bottom or top feeder or used without the feed option entirely. It's unique. I haven't tried that one because the feeder option seems to be plastic and the price tag is substantial for something that isn't all metal or wood. I have read good things about it, so I think it is worth looking at if you are considering a top feeder.

RocketRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
I also get confused on feeders. The only one that I find is a top feeder is this one from Super T; Super T Manufacturing, Innovative manufacturer of electronic cigarette products.

What I think is a bottom feeder is one that pumps the juice into the well where the atomiser and battery connect. Those are 2 very small holes and I don't think its as effective as it seems. But I could be wrong. What I would like to see is a graphical representation of each type.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
What I think is a bottom feeder is one that pumps the juice into the well where the atomiser and battery connect. Those are 2 very small holes and I don't think its as effective as it seems. But I could be wrong. What I would like to see is a graphical representation of each type.

The well and two little holes are only part of it. Some bottom feeders have a needle that delivers juice through the center hole, and those without the needle still deliver juice to the center hole. I don't have graphics for you. There are a couple of kinds of connector - sealed connectors like you'll find in an eGo don't let juice through them - non-sealed connectors have about a 10 gauge hole through them. Bottom feeders require a non-sealed connector.

RocketRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Six! I think I've seen a bottom feed bottle like you described. I have 3 atomizers that are shaped like a normal cartomizer that have a restrictive as all get out draw. That is one big reason for me not to go to that type mod. The eGo T atomizers I have (4 cone shaped) all draw as easy as a carto. Thats the reason I like the Super T type top feeder. But I have the standard tanks for ego T too. They work well and don't leak.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I've been using the Sgt Army Tank for the last year. It's a vv bottom feeder. I really love it! I also use carto tanks but I will always keep a bottom feeder for those juices I don't want in a tank for some reason. Take attys for example.. I used to drip, for 6 months I dripped. It got old. If I'm going to use an atty, I've got to have a way to feed it other than constant dripping. For me bottom feeding is the way to go. I've got a 3.7 Old Goat and while it works great with cartos, I find that with atty, the juice leaks on the inside of the box.. not so with the army tank. So when I'm in the mood for an atty, I have my bottom feeder. It works great with cartos too.

Also you can use your bottom feeder with a carto tank on top with different (compatible) flavors and when you want to change flavors.. give the bottle a squeeze and you instantly have a different flavor. You can control the flavor by how much or often you feed the carto from the bottom to mix with the flavor in your tank. :D

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Donna you are allways showing new toys I want to have! Haha.. I just need a feeder mod now!

LOL.. patience grasshopper.. It took me quite a while to get to the point where you are now! :D I've been loving this dual flavor setup so much that I haven't picked up my Provari in 2 days!

chibi tank.jpg

Last edited:

Lacedolphin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2012
Harrodsburg,Ky.
I didn't like dripping ( too much hassle for me), tanks ( leaky and fiddley) tried cartos ( ok but they don't hold enough for me) and ce2s ( dry hits anyone??) so I bought a wooden bottom feeder.

Hello baby! No dry hits, no mess (condom filling method) and no needles! It has a feeder system like a REO and I never put it down! I can fill a bottle and vape all day without topping off or not having a syringe nearby. I charge my battieries in the evening, in the morning I change the battery, fill the bottle and I'm off vaping like a fog machine. ☺

I just can't go back to a regular PV again!

jnnfrlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
East Central Ind
I didn't like dripping ( too much hassle for me), tanks ( leaky and fiddley) tried cartos ( ok but they don't hold enough for me) and ce2s ( dry hits anyone??) so I bought a wooden bottom feeder.

Hello baby! No dry hits, no mess (condom filling method) and no needles! It has a feeder system like a REO and I never put it down! I can fill a bottle and vape all day without topping off or not having a syringe nearby. I charge my battieries in the evening, in the morning I change the battery, fill the bottle and I'm off vaping like a fog machine. ☺

Which one did you go with. I am looking into buying a feeder mod.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
LOL.. patience grasshopper.. It took me quite a while to get to the point where you are now! :D I've been loving this dual flavor setup so much that I haven't picked up my Provari in 2 days!

View attachment 82112

+1 on the VV Army Tank. It's a great mod to have in the arsenal. The battery life and performance is out of this world.

Archnemysis

Aug 6, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Lacedolphin:5460364 said:

my sentiments exactly. I just got my first 3.7 volt wood mod and love it. A friend sold me his Ali'i. With an LR atty, I am in vaping heaven. No hassles, just vapes.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I've used a variety of bottom feeders. Some I made myself. I've dripped. I've also used a DOD which is pretty much a top feeder. It may be because I prefer 901 atomizers but, I don't see a lot of difference between to and bottom feeding. The amount of juice you get in the atomizer is a lot more critical.

Six, the only thing I see not to like about the VVPV is the 14500s. Seems like the battery life would be pretty short.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Six, the only thing I see not to like about the VVPV is the 14500s. Seems like the battery life would be pretty short.

Battery life is actually extraordinarily long. It ships with 900 mah protected Trustfire Flames. They were getting me between 6 and 7 ml at between 4.3 and 4.5v with a 2.0 ohm hh.357. After the first 35 charge cycles, I decided to replace those batts with some new AW ICR 750 mah Protected 14500s that I bought before I understood the VVPV would ship with its own batteries. I'm getting almost exactly the same run times out of those. I can drain the 5ml bottle and get well in to the next before the unit needs charging. Also mentionable is the fact that the charger is pass through so you can vape while it's charging.

Run times on my VV REO Woodville with AW 700 mah IMR 18350s are almost identical to the run times for the VVPV. I'm running at around 4.0v with a 1.8 ohm cisco 306. But I have a couple of sets of other IMR 18350s that go an extra ml or more. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is, but I'm guessing they are BDLs (BDL normally should be avoided, but these work really well).

At higher voltages even with higher ohms, I only get between 4 an 5 ml with both the VVPV and the VV REO. If I'm running over 5.0v, battery life does take a hit, but is still quite good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread