total newb needs help getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch44

Jul 23, 2013
New York, NY, USA
Okay so I'm brand new to all this. I have tried quitting analogs on and off, but I always come back... the other day I was about to buy a pack at a gas station but I saw an electronic cigarette and a light bulb turned on in my head. I bought it and gave it a shot. It was a tobacco-flavored disposable Blu.

To provide some background info, I have only been an analog user for a few years and I usually do somewhere between 5-7 analogs a day. So I'm not up to the crazy high levels like 2ppd, but I am hooked enough that it's tough to stop.

Now, the Blu disappointed me, it was kind of a novelty but

1.) I killed it in just over a day. (Keep in mind what I said above - I'm not a crazy heavy user!)
2.) It just didn't satisfy enough. I had to pull for what felt like an eternity to get any kind of a decent hit and I still couldn't get a buzz like I usually do from an analog (provided I haven't had one for a few hours.) The Blu did take the edge off but not really any buzz going on. The buzz is 80% of why I use analogs. (The other 20% is habit, enjoying playing with something in your hands, playing with the smoke, etc. It's soothing to me in a strange way.)

I have been reading on this forum and other sites for hours but honestly I am getting really confused... Some places seem to suggest buying a kit of e cigs that are essentially the same as the disposable Blu I tried - only you can recharge them and replace the nicotine cartridges. I read recommendations for Tesla Air (not sure if I spelled that right?) and Green Smoke. I looked at these and the actual devices in the kits look like what I picture in my head when someone says e-cigarette.

However, on this forum everyone seems to be using crazy contraptions that look bigger and much more complicated. People are talking about wicks and eliquid and cartonizers / clearomizers(?) and a bunch of other stuff I don't understand.

I want to get something good to get me started, I don't want to make a huge newbie mistake and I don't want to have to buy a whole new setup a month from now when I realize I bought the wrong stuff because of my ignorance. Money is not really a huge issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, can I purchase what I need in a store or do I absolutely have to order everything online? I am trying not to get more analogs... so time is a factor lol.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
Riverside, California, USA
The most common starter kits are with eGo style batteries. They have a decent battery life (compared to the disposables and other cig-a-likes like the Blu) and are relatively cheap when compared to some of the mods out there. Your first setup should be something like an eGo style battery and a couple of clearomizers. AltSmoke and MT Baker Vapor are two retailers you can look at to kind of figure out what you want. MBV also has a live chat feature which can make it a little easier to pick some stuff out as it is much more like actually visiting a vape shop in person.

The BEST thing you can do at this point is read, to make the best decision yourself you have to gain more knowledge and the only way you'll do that is by reading. Of course, youTube videos can be helpful. GrimmGreen and PBusardo are the guys that got me started.

Of course, if you need help picking out some items from a vendor, most people here will be happy to make suggestions/comments.

Last edited:

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
First off: Welcome to ECF.

2nd, to find a store near you check out: Electric Cigarette|Eliquid|Supplies|Electronic Cigarette|Ejuice|Smokeless|Vapor Search USA

3rd: online prices are usually less than retail brick and mortar stores. But if you need hands-on-advice and demonstrations, the B&M are the way to go. It can be confusing getting started.

EFC is a great place to find information. Youtube is also a fantastic way to watch someone reviewing/using the product you are interested in. That's how I made my first major e-cig purchase of the Halo Triton Tank kit coming from a FIN cig-alike.

Basically the e-cigalikes only last a few hours; their are ways around this like a Personal Charging kit (PCC) that will allow you to charging on the fly. The better way is to start with a larger battery like EGOs, that can last up to 13 hours depending on the size (mAh = duration, 650 mAh = 6.5 hours, 900 mAh = 9 hours).

Filling a tank with eliquid isn't difficult and helps to save money over pre-filled cartomizers like on those cig-alikes.

My personal systems of choice would be Halo E-liquid USA | E-Cigarette Liquid | Electronic Cigarette | Halo E-Cigs

The Triton Tank assured my quitting smoking, and I haven't looked back. And their line of juices are fantastic. Quality all the way.

Feel free to ask any questions -- we are all here to help.

FlavorPuff

Moved On
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: Unreg. Supplier

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
+1 on the Mt. Baker recommendation. The company is easy to deal with, has great flavor liquids and sells only genuine name brand equipment. Pricing is great, customer service is great and shipping is fast.

Another good one is DiscoutVapers.com. They also only sell name brand equipment at great prices.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I'd say go with an ego battery and a clearomizer tank for starters, around 50 to 60 USD for the starter kit, and it is a good kit to start on. manual batteries that you can turn off, look at the MAH, 650 for about 6 hours of use time before charging, 950 for 9 hours, and 1100 for 11 hours.

Later you might want to go with a mod, but for starters the ego is a good way to go.

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
Riverside, California, USA
I love them. They have amazingly priced liquid and the fact that you can add flavor shots is awesome. Some of the devices they have are a little over priced but when you factor in how much you're saving on the juice you still save a ton of money, and everything is quality so it's worth it.
+1 on the Mt. Baker recommendation. The company is easy to deal with, has great flavor liquids and sells only genuine name brand equipment. Pricing is great, customer service is great and shipping is fast.

Another good one is DiscoutVapers.com. They also only sell name brand equipment at great prices.

Dbabbster

Jul 9, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Welcome....If you have a local Vape shop in your area, I would suggest maybe stopping in for a little one on one, I did that out of curiosity a few weeks ago,:2c: I too was totally unaware of the whole scene other than what exposure I had with a disposable that I had tried from the local gas station. I had no intentions of quitting my PAD 20+ year habit, just wanted to check it out. I started on this site and my curiosity grew. I was not sure where to even start, not knowing if this was for me.

So I looked up on yelp and found some good reviews of a BM near me. After about an hour with the guys at the local Vape shop, they explained all my questions, showed me some options, and tried many of there flavored juices. Walked out with a simple ego stater kit and a few flavors...have not had a analog since ( over two weeks now ).

Over the past few weeks, I have scoured this site up and down, and have gained so much info from all the great people here, Plus have the understanding of what I would like to proceed with and have already ordered some upgrades and ejuices online with confidence.

Good Luck:toast:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
There is a popular saying on ECF that the more the device resembles a cigarette, the less it will perform. I have found that to be quite true, and couldn't quit the first time I attempted this in 2009 with these devices. Even with smaller ego/stick (small pen sized) batteries in 2011, I just couldn't make the transition. Granted I was a much heavier smoker then you are. Finally, entery 2013, attempt number 3, and big variable voltage ego/stick batteries, some good tanks for the liquid (clearomizers) and some strong juice (24 mg/ml for me), and I finally had the power and punch to overcome my severe 35 year, 3 PAD, American Spirit Black, addiction. So, I always recommend a similar kit to get started. The problem is, of course, that there are dozens of devices out there that fall into that category. Let me list the most popular, and most successful products for your review and consideration:

Stick Batteries, known as eGo Style Batteries (entry level, backup, out and about, stealth, primary):

Trusted Vendors shown, but NOT selected based on pricing, you'll still need to shop around. You will need device specific battery chargers (which often come in kits) for these devices. Also, kits often provide two batteries allowing for simultaneous vaping while charging of the backup. Each of the eGo style batteries below have both 510 and eGo thread connections. As such, they are compatible with most toppers, including most Kanger products. Additionally, each of these devices has at least variable voltage, which allows you to adjust and regulate the battery output voltage, providing customizable vapor production, temperature, throat hit, and finding the "sweet spot" for your juices to suit your individual vaping preferences:

1. Innokin iTaste 3.0 vv/vw, usb passthrough, ohms reader, etc. - https://ivape.net/index.php/iTaste-VV-3.0-Variable-Wattage-Device-Pearl-Chrome.html (variable power, LCD display, +/- buttons, Usb passthrough, 3.3 - 5.0 volts, 6.0 - 11.0 watts, 800mAh)
2. SLB KGO VV - http://www.hoosierecig.com/Mega-KGO-VV-1200mAh-3-6v-_p_441.html (LCD display, +/- buttons, Usb passthrough, 3.0 - 6.0 volts, 650 - 1200mAh)
3. Vision Spinner - Vision Spinner VV eGo Battery 1300mAh (3.3 - 4.8 volts, 1300mAh)
4. Joyetech Twist - eGo Twist 1000 Mah Battery in Black (3.2 - 4.8 volts, 650 - 1000mAh)
5. Smoktech Winder - Smok eGo Winder 900mAh Variable Volt Battery (3.2 - 4.8 volts, 900 - 1100mAh)

Best Starter Combo kit out there, imho, provides two batteries, i.e., the twist and/or spinner, and two toppers, i.e., the eVod and/or MT3s, among others: http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm.

Recommend two EVOD toppers with two Spinners to start. BTW, you can spend less and get a fixed voltage battery, but you'll have much less vape flexibility and it won't be long before you'll want to upgrade to variable voltage, more than likely, and the difference initially is only a few dollars per battery anyway.

Regarding juice, two words: Sampler packs! Suggest Heather's Heavenly Vapes, MyFreedomSmokes, and Mt. Baker Vapor.

Anyway, hope this info helps. Good luck, best to you, Happy Shopping, Power up and Vape On!

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Welcome to the forum, ch44, and kudos on trying ecigs! The trick to a good vaping experience is to find the equipment you're comfortable using, and the flavor(s) that satisfy. And vaping can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

jefsview gave you a good link to vaporsearch, which hopefully will help you find some "brick and mortar" vape shops in your area. I saw an article a few days ago about the first vape shop to open in Manhattan (will try to find it and post it here), and it mentioned that there were several in Queens. I'm sure there are others as well. If you do have a shop near you, by all means check it out. Yes, it probably will be more expensive, but you'll have the chance to examine a variety of devices and get an idea of how they work. Buying online usually costs less, but it helps to have done some research and made some prelininary decisions on what you think you want to try.

Be sure to check out ECF's InfoZone, which has several articles on general ecig info, vaping "lingo," and what you can expect if you switch from smoking to vaping. Also check out CASAA's website (casaa.org) for additional info. Once you have some idea of what equipment you might be interested in, check YouTube for reviews and how-to videos. PBusardo has a good "ecigs for beginners" video to get you started (A PBusardo Video - Beginners Guide to E-Cigs and E-Cig Tech - YouTube).

And above all, don't be afraid to ask questions here! ECF members are a trove of good information, and we're mostly quite passionate about our vaping.

Edit: Here's the info on Vape NY in Manhattan: Manhattan Gets First Dedicated Vape Shop | Ecig Advanced News, and their website: Vape New York - New York's choice for e-cigarettes

Last edited:

ch44

Jul 23, 2013
New York, NY, USA
Update - checked out a local vape shop and got an egoT (I think?) it's the kind that sort of looks like an ballpoint pen but a bit larger. The battery lasts me all day and it only cost me $35 with one free disposable cart. But the carts were doing it for me so I went back and they sold me a "cutie" tank which is slightly better, and FINALLY I got an atomizer and drip tip and cone, now I am seriously loving this thing!! With the drip tip I get nice hot blasts of vapor that actually mimic the smoking experience. Since I got the drip tip, I haven't used analogs - very psyched!

Bmannator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Washington USA
Welcome, I agree with the previous posts. You'll be glad you got name brand gear, my joyetech batts are over a year old and still going strong. The brand x egos died a long time ago.
B+M stores are geared to keep it simple. That's all you need to get started. Read the forums and learn as much as you can. Once you get used to vaping, you can try new hardware. And don't stress if you need to have a smoke. The longer you vape, the worse cigs taste. It all works out in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread