TPriv 3 firmware OOPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as the title says, I have made a serious mistake with my Tpriv 3 and I feel really dumb. It's rather new, but, in my half awake state, I decided to look up a firmware upgrade in case there is one. There isn't, that I can find. The one I found, and without triple checking like usual, LOADED, was the 1.08 for the original TPriv. Oops. I did it right, but it's not for my mod. Now when I put in batteries I get no screen turning on, the colored lights are red, and nothing happens..... back to the backup mod for now. I feel about as intelligent as a dead bug under someone's foot. I can't find ANYWHERE online that offers up the original firmware to reset it, and I'm having trouble getting to support with smoktech because I can't find my receipt. Anyone that can help me, Please, I'm begging you. I can't afford to replace it, and normally I never brick ANYTHING. This is the first time I've done something this ridiculous and I feel an inch tall, my wife's gonna shoot me! >.<

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
So as the title says, I have made a serious mistake with my Tpriv 3 and I feel really dumb. It's rather new, but, in my half awake state, I decided to look up a firmware upgrade in case there is one. There isn't, that I can find. The one I found, and without triple checking like usual, LOADED, was the 1.08 for the original TPriv. Oops. I did it right, but it's not for my mod. Now when I put in batteries I get no screen turning on, the colored lights are red, and nothing happens..... back to the backup mod for now. I feel about as intelligent as a dead bug under someone's foot. I can't find ANYWHERE online that offers up the original firmware to reset it, and I'm having trouble getting to support with smoktech because I can't find my receipt. Anyone that can help me, Please, I'm begging you. I can't afford to replace it, and normally I never brick ANYTHING. This is the first time I've done something this ridiculous and I feel an inch tall, my wife's gonna shoot me! >.<

Without the original firmware to re-flash, I don't think there is anything you can do. Maybe try to find someone else with that mod (and a receipt) and get them to contact SMOK to get a copy of the original firmware for you.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Actually I just looked at the SMOK support site and it looks like they only need the QR code off the box (not a receipt) to provide support. I don't have a device to plug in to be sure though.

Although the Chinese New Year time off lasts 2 more days, so you may not get anyone until the 24th anyway.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Here's a thread with some advice to Erase, then reinstall.
Smok t priv new update issues

Yeah that only lets you completely delete the firmware that's on it, to do a fresh install. Without a working firmware to put back on it, that isn't going to help. So obtaining a usable firmware if going to be required.

Speaking of, does anyone make a 3rd party firmware for SMOK products that could maybe be used?

Yeah I actually had already done that 3 times prior to reaching out. lol. It's for the original Tpriv. Not the Tpriv 3. I've sent a support claim in, with hopes to get something done, but if I can get it figured out before they get back to me it's just that much better at this point, really appreciate the advice from everyone. As for the hole at the bottom of the mod, no such luck, the bottom of the mod is just the battery door, and there isn't a reset button anywhere on it. I'll never do another firmware update, so long as I don't NEED to do one from this point forward lmao.

*sigh* sorry to drag my post back up from the ashes, but I wanted to update everyone, so if anyone googles this problem maybe they'll run across this and have better luck than me. While the problem with my mod is entirely my doing, I have yet to hear from SmokTech, and I have contacted them multiple times. No response, not even a generic. I've called the support line, and gotten only the automated system every time. I found my reciept, and attempted to contact the company I purchased it from but in bold letters, they don't support anything except during the return dates and do not have a real warranty. That's fine. Most places I buy from end up that way for some reason. However I cannot endorse a company that will not return any form of contact for their customers. I will not support nor recommend SmokTech products ever again. I'm sad about this, because I LOVE their stuff. The tfv12 with the t-3 rba I'm using is my go to, has been since the rainbow was released! With that being said, it's only strictly because of their lack of customer service that I am saying it. If anyone else has ever dealt with them, and has had a positive response, please let me know what you did so that I can try again and hopefully have better luck. I really WANT to love this company, their mods look awesome, and I absolutely love the TFV12.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Oh and as an added extra, I'm in the market for a new mod. Something extremely well built that pushes over 200 watts, tc, would love a 3-4 battery simply for not having to swap them out so fast. I'm not worried about size, prefer 18650 as that's what I have but am seriously willing to consider something else if it means longer battery life, life expectancy, and less heat for the same watts. I vape twisted, at 3 coils, pushing anything from 120 - 175 watts (depending on the mood at the time but average at 130) and 5.2 volts when I push the higher end. That being said I am the most concerned with quality of a mod, over price for my next purchase. I want this thing (so long as I'm not stupid enough to do THIS again) to last for a minimum of a year, but wouldn't mind it lasting 2-3 this time around. I love the trigger design of the T-priv 3 too, damnit I loved this mod period and that's why I'm upset. lol.

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Get a DNA 200 chipset one since you are into TC. Lostvape makes good ones

Actually at this point I would wait a bit and get the new DNA 400C: high powered, color screen, super easy menu, best TC in the business, 1yr warranty, AND they are adding a new feature called "recall" (I think) that replicates your best vape in watts mode. They just released the board, so we have to give mod makers a bit of time to incorporate it into their new mods.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I will not support nor recommend SmokTech products ever again.

Seems a bit harsh given your mistake on a mod that may be out of store and factory warranty, but......

You might contact an Aloma vape shop. From what I have read, they claim "All Alohmas are Certified Smok Warranty centers." I think the closest to you would be Sioux City, but might be worth the cost off a phone call to ask.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Seems a bit harsh given your mistake on a mod that may be out of store and factory warranty, but......

You might contact an Aloma vape shop. From what I have read, they claim "All Alohmas are Certified Smok Warranty centers." I think the closest to you would be Sioux City, but might be worth the cost off a phone call to ask.

Good tip on the warranty shops, maybe they can provide the firmware.

As far as him not recommending SMOK anymore, I see your point, and if it was hardware related (like he dropped it or took it apart) I would 100% agree. However for firmware upgradable mods, I see no reason the original (baseline) firmware should not be available on the website or at least by request even if NOT in warranty. The issue is compounded by them not returning emails or phone calls.

Let's say you bought an HP laptop and after the warranty period ran out, you accidentally deleted your sound and video drivers. You can go to their support site for YEARS after the warranty and still DL the drivers to reinstall for free. That is service after the sale. IF however, HP said, "Nope, you are out of warranty no drivers for you, buy a new laptop", and/or refused to return emails, or phone calls (aka 0 support response at all) then I would never recommend HP computers to anyone either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread