Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Well shame on me for attempting to assist somebody with a smok problem! I'll do my best to toe the line in the future!

Seriously? I liked your post and said it was a good tip. I just happened to disagree with one thing and stated why. I honestly have no idea why you took that so harshly. It is OK for everyone to have a different opinion. You have yours and I have mine. We can still get along, can't we? :toast:

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Seems a bit harsh given your mistake on a mod that may be out of store and factory warranty, but......

You might contact an Aloma vape shop. From what I have read, they claim "All Alohmas are Certified smok Warranty centers." I think the closest to you would be Sioux City, but might be worth the cost off a phone call to ask.

Nah, the chip should never allow incompatible firmware to be written to it.

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Nah, the chip should never allow incompatible firmware to be written to it.

There is no way for the chip to preemptively know if what you are about to send it is compatible or not. If that were the case then Computers could be made to reject all virus code at the hardware level. It's just not possible.

Now it should be possible to make the tool used to upload the firmware check the hardware version and validate if the firmware is compatible or not. I doubt many vape companies do this though.

• Agree

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
There is no way for the chip to preemptively know if what you are about to send it is compatible or not. If that were the case then Computers could be made to reject all virus code at the hardware level. It's just not possible.

Now it should be possible to make the tool used to upload the firmware check the hardware version and validate if the firmware is compatible or not. I doubt many vape companies do this though.

Device Firmware is not the same as general purpose software. Try loading the BIOS for an Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 on a Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X. The X370 Gaming X will not allow it.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Device Firmware is not the same as general purpose software. Try loading the BIOS for an Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 on a Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X. The X370 Gaming X will not allow it.

The tool that does the uploading is what does not allow it. The tool queries the X370 and asks for model, hardware revision number, and possibly serial number on more advanced patchers, and determines compatibility. If not compatible the tool will throw an error and not allow the update.

Think of it this way: Your buddy calls you up and says "I need to tell you something". You (the chip) have no way of knowing what is about to be said or if it is compatible with your interests, until it has been said. Your buddy is the tool that has to know if what he is about to say is compatible with your interests or not.

Yeah if they returned my emails or calls, even with a "we can't help you" I wouldn't feel that way. I'm not considering it being burned or ripped off, but in the event I have a manufacturers defect (which I've read stories on more than once, and I don't seem to be alone in the lack of communication department) what then? It's a risk. And to me if a company is going to leave their customers hanging, they aren't a reputable company anymore. Again, it's my opinion, and it's not based on the fact my mod stopped working, because I admit that fault is all on me. I'm just disappointing in the lack of customer service. I should likely look into an American based company and product that I know I can get warranty work done or just a really good company known to be reactive and responsive when it comes to their customers, so I'll be digging. I'm not hard to please. I just like to know that when I've spent money at a company and need support, they'll attempt to make sure to let me know what's going on, good or bad so I can move on. I shouldn't have to sit there waiting twiddling my thumbs and hoping. It also doesn't help that the app for smoktech's new "authentication process" doesn't work for crud. Not sure if it's any other companies or not though.

• Agree
Sidenote, TC isn't OVERLY important to me, as I only use it off and on, but in the random chance i decide I want to use it, I like having it. In the winter, when my juices are thicker because of cold temps outside, I like having temp control so I don't chance burning cotton as fast. Nothing worse than being a couple miles from home on a shopping trip and burning out the cotton to the point I can't vape till I replace it (3-4 hours later) lmao

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Sidenote, TC isn't OVERLY important to me, as I only use it off and on, but in the random chance i decide I want to use it, I like having it. In the winter, when my juices are thicker because of cold temps outside, I like having temp control so I don't chance burning cotton as fast. Nothing worse than being a couple miles from home on a shopping trip and burning out the cotton to the point I can't vape till I replace it (3-4 hours later) lmao

If you use wattage mode most of the time then the new DNA is going to be THE board to have. I mentioned before the "Replay" feature, here is more about it. It sounds like it will be a complete game changer. It will be called DNA 250C in the US due to FDA Regs, and DNA 400C elsewhere but it is the same board either way.

Last edited:
I'm sold. LMAO, the worst thing ever is when you get that burnt taste from one hit too many, be it on an RDA/RBA or RDTA, or even a standard coil. I've been experimenting with stainless 316L lately, so it seems like this is just going to be the best there is in terms of quality for me. I've heard good things about DNA boards, but always got turned off by the price. I was always told they weren't what the hype stated them to be. I almost feel like a fool for having listened all this time. Thank you to everyone who tried to help even if you couldn't. I appreciate you all very much. Keep vaping. Meanwhile, I'll just stick to my banged up scratched up (almost no paint left) Ipv3 li as long as possible till I can get my hands on THIS beast. So long as it's in a solid build, I doubt I'll look at changing until there's another huge leap in technology after.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Seriously? I liked your post and said it was a good tip. I just happened to disagree with one thing and stated why. I honestly have no idea why you took that so harshly. It is OK for everyone to have a different opinion. You have yours and I have mine. We can still get along, can't we? :toast:

The "one thing" you disagreed with has to be on my opinion that "not recommending Smok, ever again" seemed "a bit harsh" followed by your reasoning why my opinion is/was wrong. Then you proclaim "it is OK for everyone to have a different opinion???" Getting along? I actually thought I was until making what I thought was a relatively innocent post in this thread.

We don't even know for sure yet if OP will receive any response or not. Is two weeks slow, delayed, taking too long, however else to describe it? Maybe so. But it might be just a bit too early to proclaim it a lost cause and refuse to recommend Smok.....ever again.

Speaking of which, apparently OP ignored my suggestion. If so, I could/should have saved myself the trouble and avoided commenting.

The "one thing" you disagreed with has to be on my opinion that "not recommending Smok, ever again" seemed "a bit harsh" followed by your reasoning why my opinion is/was wrong. Then you proclaim "it is OK for everyone to have a different opinion???" Getting along? I actually thought I was until making what I thought was a relatively innocent post in this thread.

We don't even know for sure yet if OP will receive any response or not. Is two weeks slow, delayed, taking too long, however else to describe it? Maybe so. But it might be just a bit too early to proclaim it a lost cause and refuse to recommend Smok.....ever again.

Speaking of which, apparently OP ignored my suggestion. If so, I could/should have saved myself the trouble and avoided commenting.

I wasn't ignoring your advice, I simply hadn't done it yet, and I rather dislike people who simply make those kinds of assumptions, there was no reason for you to get rude about things. I'll be giving them a call and I sincerely appreciate the advice, but do NOT appreciate your tone at the moment. So thank you, but seriously, chill out. That goes for all of you. If I see any arguments break out I'll have a moderator delete the entire thread and post a new topic if I am contacted by Smok and that's all there is to it.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I wasn't ignoring your advice, I simply hadn't done it yet, and I rather dislike people who simply make those kinds of assumptions, there was no reason for you to get rude about things. I'll be giving them a call and I sincerely appreciate the advice, but do NOT appreciate your tone at the moment. So thank you, but seriously, chill out. That goes for all of you. If I see any arguments break out I'll have a moderator delete the entire thread and post a new topic if I am contacted by Smok and that's all there is to it.

"Speaking of which, apparently OP ignored my suggestion. If so, I could/should have saved myself the trouble and avoided commenting."

Sorry you found that comment so disturbing and "rude" as to justify your ire! I'll just leave it at that and bow out.

Reviving the old thread with some good news. I just received an email today from SmokTec with the original firmware for the T-priv 3. They apologized for the delay. Hope restored, and now I would warn a person about support taking so long but would still recommend. The T-Priv3 is back to life! I will try to find a place to put the firmware if a moderator wants to sticky this so others can search and use this for help later. That was my hope if I got it working anyhow was to share how to do it with everyone else.

Joshua Smith

May 9, 2018
Reviving the old thread with some good news. I just received an email today from SmokTec with the original firmware for the T-priv 3. They apologized for the delay. Hope restored, and now I would warn a person about support taking so long but would still recommend. The T-Priv3 is back to life! I will try to find a place to put the firmware if a moderator wants to sticky this so others can search and use this for help later. That was my hope if I got it working anyhow was to share how to do it with everyone else.
Hi, I have also done the same as yourself with the T-PRIV 3 MOD and was wondering if you so happened to still have the original firmware for the T-PRIV 3 on hand and would send it to how ever you would like I would be very thankful and if possible maybe walk me through how to apply the firmware. Thank You in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread