Treated like a tobacco smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phakt

May 3, 2018
How angry does it make you when you are treated the same as a tobacco smoker? i.e. at a concert, you are called out by a staff member for vaping while a few feet away there is vape pouring onto the stage (pretty much the same tech).
The nice thing is, you can get away with vaping pretty much anywhere by holding it in for a bit. I get away with it at work, on planes, in the hospital. How about you?

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
Speaking of flying I have a trip to Maui coming up and I mentioned to my wife that I may need to take additional bathroom breaks (to vape) and she was like, "you can't do that!" and I was like, "I do it every time I fly! The smoke detectors do not pick up on vape." She was shocked.

Back on topic: I am not bothered by how anyone reacts or treats my vaping. It is still a free country and it is not illegal so I vape when I want but I do have some personal rules:

1. I do not vape in stores, restaurants, theaters etc.
2. I do not vape around people that do not vape but walk away to do my vaping.
3. I try and respect non-vapers/smokers when around them by not blowing clouds in their face or around them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What annoys me is when a perfect stranger comes up to me and says, "You know that vaping is more dangerous than smoking, right?"

My typical response is, "You read that on Facebook, right? Fake news."

23lk1o4.jpg

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I treat vaping like smoking, in public. I don’t vape inside of stores and such ( although I have in the restroom one in a while, when nobody else is in there). I don’t vape around others outside.

I don’t vape in someone else’s house or car unless I’ve asked and been given permission.

That reduces the odds of being confronted about it. If someone were to approach me in a civil manner, I’d calmly explain whatever they wanted to know. If someone is confrontational, I tell them if I wanted to hear from an a**hole I’d have farted. That’s my standard line, feel free to steal it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I admit to having discreetly vaped in a movie theater, under the right and strictest of conditions:
  • I always go to a late showing when there are only a few viewers present.
  • I always sit in the back row, next to a wall, all by my lonesome.
  • I wait until the lights go out.
  • I use a stealth vaping technique that limits the amount of vapor produced.
  • What you can't see, it didn't really happen.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Speaking of flying I have a trip to Maui coming up and I mentioned to my wife that I may need to take additional bathroom breaks (to vape) and she was like, "you can't do that!" and I was like, "I do it every time I fly! The smoke detectors do not pick up on vape." She was shocked.

Back on topic: I am not bothered by how anyone reacts or treats my vaping. It is still a free country and it is not illegal so I vape when I want but I do have some personal rules:

1. I do not vape in stores, restaurants, theaters etc.
2. I do not vape around people that do not vape but walk away to do my vaping.
3. I try and respect non-vapers/smokers when around them by not blowing clouds in their face or around them.

They will if you allow too much to hit it at once.
I've seen it happen on a plane, and had to deal with hotel security when I set them off in my room.
Granted there were about 5 of us vaping in the room.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
What annoys me is when a perfect stranger comes up to me and says, "You know that vaping is more dangerous than smoking, right?"

My typical response is, "You read that on Facebook, right? Fake news."

23lk1o4.jpg
I’ve given up justifying my vaping to uninformed people. Even my engineer at work tells me that he won’t quit smoking a pack a day and try vaping until he is 100% positive that vaping is less dangerous than smoking.

I just shrug and tell him to do a bit of research and let me know when he is ready and I’ll hook him up for free.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I gave up as well. I will usually ask if they would like to know the truth, and if they say no I don't bother.
It doesn't get me angry, but I have had to tell a couple of people that "I'm not bringing my vapor into your personal space, please don't bring your negativity and disdain into mine.
I didn't come to you, you came to me."

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
Getting on a plane to Mexico City on Saturday. This morning, I was seriously considering not sneaking a vape, but having a bottle of 18 mg unflavored to drop under my tongue.

Now that is :censored:ing hardcore

I just went with the bandanna and acted like I was picking my nose. Folks tend to look away from that.

We have got to hang out if you ever come to Texas

How angry does it make you when you are treated the same as a tobacco smoker? i.e. at a concert, you are called out by a staff member for vaping while a few feet away there is vape pouring onto the stage (pretty much the same tech).
The nice thing is, you can get away with vaping pretty much anywhere by holding it in for a bit. I get away with it at work, on planes, in the hospital. How about you?

I am lucky most people stay away from me. The only time I ever had someone say anything to me was a hospital security guard to which I just pointed out I was not on hospital property and if he did not, believe me, he could call a real cop

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I've had smokers in designated smoke sections get nasty about me vaping there.
Even had one guy loudly proclaim that I was killing them all and should leave, lol.
And that's when I'm standing a far from them as I can. For my health, not theirs.
That's the only time I got truly angry, but it was because he got in my face.
I eventually had to just tell him that he could ask me to leave, but that I bet he couldn't make me; and that if he tried the only that would beat him to the hospital would be the headlights of the ambulance he was on.

Not one of my finer moments, but like most bullies and balloons, he deflated and went away.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I personally won't ever vape on an airplane. First, I'm not willing to potentially get caught and then have to deal with federal level authorities...which is who handles misbehavior/violations onboard aircraft. Second, I don't want to become an example or statistic, that may in any way contribute to there possibly being a future ban on flying with vape gear. Last, putting a drop or 2 of eliquid under my tongue about every 2-3 hours on a long flight works well enough for me.

ETA: Other than that, I don't vape in people's homes or cars unless it's allowed. I also don't vape in stores, movie theaters, hospitals, restaurants, etc. If I'm outside one of those places and want to vape, I do it away from others who are obviously not vapers, too. IMO, being a polite vaper can go a long way in helping others to be more accepting of it, or at least not as much against it anyway.

Last edited:

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
They will if you allow too much to hit it at once.
I've seen it happen on a plane, and had to deal with hotel security when I set them off in my room.
Granted there were about 5 of us vaping in the room.

Funny as I have blown clouds directly on them and no alarm has gone off. Still I normally blow down.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Funny as I have blown clouds directly on them and no alarm has gone off. Still I normally blow down.
If the cloud is dense enough, it will. I assure you.
Hotel security was NOT amused when it happened to me. It set off their whole system, strobe lights and all.
One guy answering the door, while 4 more were standing on the bed frantically flapping their arms to try and move the vapor away from the detector.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
I admit to having discreetly vaped in a movie theater, under the right and strictest of conditions:
  • I always go to a late showing when there are only a few viewers present.
  • I always sit in the back row, next to a wall, all by my lonesome.
  • I wait until the lights go out.
  • I use a stealth vaping technique that limits the amount of vapor produced.
  • What you can't see, it didn't really happen.
That's why I like the VapeOnly pen[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
My place of employ offers health insurance at different rates if you smoke or do not, and of course here federally vaping is considered tobacco use, so i pay 30 more per week than a non smoker... Yes that angers me.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread