Tried a clearomizer, not a fan. Thinking about tank setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackMorris

Mar 4, 2011
Northern Va
So here is a quick rundown of my story. Almost 2 years ago, I got the Riva-510 and used it with a blue foam mod and absolutely loved it, with the exception of the occasional leak here and there. Went for almost a year with strictly vapes. Then life happened and got back on analogs and about a month ago I got back into vaping. I have some parts here and there for the Riva-510 but I was like you know what let me try a new kit. So it came with a clearomizer and for like the first few days it worked well, but then taste started to dry out, and I messed with varying liquid levels. Then I noticed it started to leak a whole lot more than my blue foam mod ever did, and the taste was subpar. Switched to a brand new clearomizer and at first it was cool, but after a few days same results. I think I'm done with them and wanted to go back to a blue foam mod, but after reading up on here I think a tank system maybe best for me.

So my question for the experienced out there is can anyone give me a pro/con about going with a tank system, how are they exactly used and any stores that you would recommend. I prefer 510's like I said I have a bunch of batteries for them and chargers etc. I appreciate the help!

Damian

Jun 14, 2012
Houston
Which clearomizer did you get? Sometimes they only last a few days before the flavor starts getting muted. You can try to clean it, or just throw it away. There are some newer models that have replaceable heads. I use the Kanger T2 with a replaceable head, it works great. When I notice the flavor or vapor production start to drop off, I replace the head - usually about a week or so. They are less than $2 each, so not expensive, relatively speaking.

Some clearomizers do better than others in the leaking department.

I've never used a tank before, so I can't really direct you too much there. Basically a tank is a plastic cylinder with a cartomizer inside it. The carto has holes or slots punched in it. You fill the carto, put it inside the tank, then fill the tank with the juice. As the filler in the carto gets dry, it soaks up the juice in the tank. Have you ever used a carto before? You might want to get a pack of cartomizers and try them by themselves before you invest in a whole tank system. You might find that you don't like them as much as your cartridges.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
i loved stardusts when i started, don't like them now that I know what I'm doing.

IMHO, so far with a few hour's use, the vivi nova is everything the stardust wishes it could be.
Vision Nova Tank Clearomizer V3 Mega

As for carto tanks, it's a bit of a science and learning curve to slot or punch them appropriately for the kind of juice you're using. I just use two cheapie 3ml tanks you can get anywhere. A tank is a tank in my mind and you don't have to spend a ton on them.

If you want mouthpiece tanks, i've heard good things about the kit they sell at ovale with the replacable heads. I've tried the cheaper versions from my brick and mortar and wasn't impressed, though. I think they're billed as "ego-c" tanks. The different between type a and b appears to be capacity.
eGo-C Cone - Type B - ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE (e-cigarette) :: elips-C eCab, ego-C, changeable system, ego-T, elips, liquid, juice, accessories
eGo-C Standard Atomizer heads - Type B ( 5 Qty ) - ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE (e-cigarette) :: elips-C eCab, ego-C, changeable system, ego-T, elips, liquid, juice, accessories
Can't find the cartidges for it on the site though, probably because i'm hungry and zoning out.

Kremppie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
McKinney TX
I really like the clearomizers in the begining. I have bought at least 25 of them, and most have started to leak. I have ordered some supplies to hopefully get the leak fixed. I like them for taking out of the house on an ego battery. If I lose the whole thing...not a big deal.

At home I like the Vivi Nova tank the best. There is no cart to deal with when changing flavors. I still have several tanks with carts, and I use those with flavors I already know I like. If the cart fails before the tank is empty it is kinda hard to save the juice.

I also care about how the set up looks to me. I don't want a skinny battery and a huge tank on top, or a huge battery with a tiny tank on top.

Welcome back to vaping...this is my second time around as well. I still had my old battteries, and just decided to start over. The supplies I had were from late 2010, and so much more is out there...I am having a ball.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City

Jett1980s

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2012
Mount Vapeus
These things are very dependent on how much you vape, if you chain vape, and go through 5ml+ a day, it doesn't matter what you use, cartomizers, atomizers, or whatever, gunk will build up and the performance of the product will diminish. I've chain vaped on Vivi Novas before and as good as they are for beginners who wish have an easy tank system for refilling and whatnot, the atomizer does diminish fairly quick, I would say about a week before most of it is gunked up and vapor and flavor diminishes. People suggest dry burning, but I've blown out 2 atty heads doing that so I really don't recommend it, bottom line of it all is if you're a heavy vaper, then get ready to have backups lying around at least 2-3 of them, because if you vape heavily, the lifespan shortens much quicker, for an average user they'd probably last about 2 weeks, heavy vapers a week at most, a tank/cartomizer system might give you a longer lifespan because they're built to always keep the cartomizer full which keeps the atomizer wet and prolonging it's lifespan but at the end of the day it will die out eventually and as you vape the performance will diminish, it's not something you can avoid.

jimrug1

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2012
Peoria, IL
Hi Zach.. Welcome back to vaping. I consider you a much more experienced vapor than I. I only started in late June. I recently purchased a Vivi Nova 2.5 for home use. Sometimes take in car too. I must admit I REALLY like it! However, for me, its a little large on my ego twist and I am still uncomfortable with that set up to vape in public. I guess Im just an "under the radar" type of person?

In defense of the clearos, I purchased 5 vision v2 clearos with my starter kit in early July and 3 of them are still working fine. (two of them were DOA and leaked from the start.) IMO,they start tasting harsh once the coils get a burnt juice build up on them. I clean the clearos with warm water after every 2-3 tank fulls and dry burn the coils clean. If they crap out, I would rather toss it and buy a new one.

I think there are pros and cons to every set up. I try to weigh the time it takes to fool with them vs the cost of buying new ones. I really like no hassle vaping. I may change my mine as time goes on. Whatever you chose, I hope it works for you.. ;-)~

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
I gave up on anything that has a top coil, you're fighting gravity. Carto tanks many not have great favor but I can live with that. As you can see I love my cheap carto tanks.

CAM00025.jpg

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
i was pretty dedicated to clearomizers pretty early on in my vaping adventure, and really wanted them to work. after ordering a second set of five, i was so ready to move on. i tried a bunch of cartomizers and stuck with those for months and months. the only issue i had was that i was not always able to conveniently drip fill when needed, and i would always vape until i got diminished vapor or a taste that threatened a dry hit. tanks are way easier to keep on top of than cartos. i find you get way more juice-mileage out of a tank than in a clearomizer, and the vape is way more consistent.
i agree with previous posts stating that top coil wicks are counter-intuitive. try the tanks! they may be for you! even the smoktech ones are super cheap for what they are, and i have been using them exclusively for months.

ZackMorris

Mar 4, 2011
Northern Va
Wow thanks very much for all the replies!!

I've done a bit more research and I think I'm going to order the Mini Vivi Nova to give a clearomizers one more shot, however I do want to order tanks also. Anyone know of any good ones that would fit a 510 battery thread. I'm really curious to try the bottom coil kind.

Once again thanks very much for all the help!

ZackMorris

Mar 4, 2011
Northern Va
Oh yeah the model of clearomizer that I had with the leakage issue, and overall taste, burn, inconsistency issues was the Excalibur clearomizer. Definitely going to try the Mini Vivi Nova as the more I read, the more and more I find it to be a great unit with minimal leakage issues. It also seems that taking care to clean it and rotate heads seem to keep it in great no fuss running order.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
So here is a quick rundown of my story. Almost 2 years ago, I got the Riva-510 and used it with a blue foam mod and absolutely loved it, with the exception of the occasional leak here and there. Went for almost a year with strictly vapes. Then life happened and got back on analogs and about a month ago I got back into vaping. I have some parts here and there for the Riva-510 but I was like you know what let me try a new kit. So it came with a clearomizer and for like the first few days it worked well, but then taste started to dry out, and I messed with varying liquid levels. Then I noticed it started to leak a whole lot more than my blue foam mod ever did, and the taste was subpar. Switched to a brand new clearomizer and at first it was cool, but after a few days same results. I think I'm done with them and wanted to go back to a blue foam mod, but after reading up on here I think a tank system maybe best for me.

So my question for the experienced out there is can anyone give me a pro/con about going with a tank system, how are they exactly used and any stores that you would recommend. I prefer 510's like I said I have a bunch of batteries for them and chargers etc. I appreciate the help!

Hey there OP, i also just got back into vaping after a year on analogs. Back in the day, I used to LOVE the fish-tank-filter-cartridge mod for the 510! they worked well for what they were, but these days they're considered antique technology. However, when I was just about at the end of my first two years of vaping, I found the CE3's (first-gen) Smokymizers, and they're now being discontinued, so I stocked up big-time on them. I had such good luck with them that to this day, I use them when I'm doing any kind of exercise or strenuous activity- they NEVER have failed on me while out and about. Even so, I would also NEVER recommend them to anyone, because they are prone to leakage if you don't know their quirks (mine don't leak, but there was a long learning curve to get to that point).
The newer clearo's are apparently even better (at least some of them are, anyway), but my new favorite systems are both tank-based. I use the Smoktech DCT's with 3-ohm dual coil cartos, and I mod an air hole and screw into the side of each of them to help with filling and to get rid of the "vacuum effect" (which happens when the juice level in the tank drops, and the negative pressure prevents juice flow into the carto). The DCT tanks themselves are a bit frail for me- I'm rough on gear, and there are multiple weak points where the tanks can come apart. Also, the cartomizers require almost 80 drops to prime them fully-but it's worth it, because if you don't prime them, the tiny hole in the side of them won't wick the juice in correctly. I've never had a problem in during normal use- even VG liquid seems to work just fine, even with the small hole.

My other favorite as of right now is the Vivi Nova Mini. It's a carto-less tank, with a replaceable/rebuildable atty assembly inside. They are very easy to rebuild. However, mine has had an issue with "burning atty" taste when I take it above 3.1v on my VV mod, and I needed to remove a piece from inside of the atty head assembly to make that go away. So, even though it is now an extremely reliable, dependable unit, its original design was flawed and needed modification to work correctly, and I would only recommend it if you are ok with doing the mod as soon as you get it- because chances are, you may run into the same issue in time.

So overall, my experience with tanks has been good- but they have multiple parts than can literally fall apart, and require more maintenance, time, and fiddling to work correctly over time. For simplicity, I'll still keep my old-school clearos (that are disliked by many) around, just because they're fool-proof from the beginning if you get to know them for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread