Read this! Tuesday: Halo start first lawsuit against FDA, Debate in the UK House of Lords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Great. Next we'll need to buy stuff using Bitcoin on some some trading board called juice Road instead of Silk Road.

But there's no problem with me walking into a 711 convenience store and using my credit card there to buy cigarettes, chewing tobacco, or cig-a-likes.......

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
.............you obviously have not read CC agreements then...

...This particular instance could have involved the Users CC Companies Denial on grounds of Tobacco Sales.
You miss my point. As of today, 12 May 2016 nothing has legally changed that would require CC companies to transact business any differently then they did a week ago. Nothing we buy or vape today is considered "tobacco" or contraband. (In a few months, when the regs officially kick in... most likely :().

Again, State and local ordinances permitting, it's a given that CC companies will continue to charge us for using their money and will keep filling their coffers until the very last minute. I would consider it fiscally irresponsible otherwise.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Anything's better than the reaction from one of my local B&Ms. Just checked their Facebook page, they're having a "Forget the FDA Deeming" sale. :facepalm:

I have been FLOODED with FDA This and That - SALES - emails from Dozens of Vendors the past Few days.

They ALL seem to be making a HOLIDAY SALE EVENT out of the whole thing. :facepalm:

Our Industry seems Hardwired for Self Destruction.:ohmy:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Heh. If VISA and/or certain other credit card companies drop all vaping businesses, I wonder whether some other company will pick up their customers? I'd apply for a new credit card with a different company if I had to. Then I'd keep my current card and use it only if the new card wasn't supported by a merchant.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Heh. If VISA and/or certain other credit card companies drop all vaping businesses, I wonder whether some other company will pick up their customers? I'd apply for a new credit card with a different company if I had to. Then I'd keep my current card and use it only if the new card wasn't supported by a merchant.
Discover or Diners Club.

Wouldn't that be funny? People would actually use those cards for once!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
You miss my point. As of today, 12 May 2016 nothing has legally changed that would require CC companies to transact business any differently then they did a week ago. Nothing we buy or vape today is considered "tobacco" or contraband. (In a few months, when the regs officially kick in... most likely :().

Again, State and local ordinances permitting, it's a given that CC companies will continue to charge us for using their money and will keep filling their coffers until the very last minute. I would consider it fiscally irresponsible otherwise.

Apologies for not making myself clear. Force is not needed. CC Companies are obligated to Investors and regularly under pressure from large Financial groups lobbying for actions to be taken.
This has already resulted in CC Companies updating user agreements or more highly enforcing in place policies.

These type of actions have already happened in the past and are already beginning to happen again.

Mandatory or not, it is happening and will only get worse without extreme change in Regulations.
:cool:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Not sure where you keep getting that. They will be Set in Stone at the end of 90 Days.(more like when read in). No Enforcement against Manufacturer or Business will be taken at the FDA level until 2yrs.(Excepting Age Restriction)

This cannot and does not stop any arbitrary actions by other financial groups. i.e. CC Companies restricting Card Related purchases.
Private companies can do what they want. The USPS will comply with what the law
says applies unless a governmental agencie has authorization to request otherwise.
Certain restrictions will become active in 90 days. Everything pertaining to denying
underage access for one and no more new products. The FDA has said per Bill Godshall
they intend to shake down B&Ms hand mixing behind the counter after 90 days. I think
this refers to on the spot mixing as per order not premixed and bottled stock. This would
be due to the fact precise amounts cannot be maintained to a standard that insures it is not
in fact a new product every time you eyeball the ingredients. Other than that the status
quo remains the same for 2 years. Granted the FDA seems to have given itself
a lot of weasel room but until they announce other wise nothing changes for 2 years.

Of course the FDA could start tomorrow using the discretionary authority they seem
to think the deeming regs give them free reign to change anything and everything in the regs to
suit their definition of maintaining compliance and control. When that happens we will
have to start a new thread. I remember the proposed deeming regs we commented on
stressed the fact that they were not written in stone and that the final deeming regs
could be quite different or relatively the same. However to my thinking it appears
the FDA has encoded or is attempting to encode into law a new procedure to enact
new regulations with out going through the process as I understand it to be now.
Propose a regulation.Get comments on the regulation. Write the actual regulation.
Post it to the Federal Register and finalization into law per prescribed procedure.

I digress,getting back to the main subject. Private companies can do what they want
unless it violates a specific item under the law. Discriminatory practices against a
protected class as an example. Cutting off an e-cig vendor is not at this time is
not required under law and does not violate the law as e-cig vendors are not a protected
class. Therefore stating that one cut a vendor off because regulations require it is
simply not true. They simply could say sooner or later we are going to have to do this
anyway. That would be fine.
Regards
mike

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Everything pertaining to denying underage access for one and no more new products.

Here is the Key to Locking up the Internet Kingdom ........in case anyone missed it

QUIT-Diagram.png

A work in progress:facepalm:

Policy History - Internet Tobacco Vendors Study

Are the Days of Online eCig Purchases by Credit Card Numbered?

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Apologies for not making myself clear. Force is not needed. CC Companies are obligated to Investors and regularly under pressure from large Financial groups lobbying for actions to be taken.
This has already resulted in CC Companies updating user agreements or more highly enforcing in place policies.

These type of actions have already happened in the past and are already beginning to happen again.

Mandatory or not, it is happening and will only get worse without extreme change in Regulations.
:cool:
I agree whole heartily with this reasoning. my point it is not a legal requirement for them to do so.
It's a business decision.
Mike

Reactions: Jumpin' In...

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Apologies for not making myself clear.
You be fine my friend. :)
Force is not needed. CC Companies are obligated to Investors and regularly under pressure from large Financial groups lobbying for actions to be taken.
Well let's hope my <cough> sizable and highly <cough> diversified portfolio does not include investors who scurry like scared rabbits (avoiding millions in profits), sooner than they have to.
:yawn:

Reactions: skoony

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Discover or Diners Club.

Wouldn't that be funny? People would actually use those cards for once!
Hee hee. I had one of them thar fancy Diner's club cards many many moons ago. After many strange looks and refusals from merchants after I handed it to them, it served as a dandy shoe horn thereafter.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I'll just throw this out there... why not?...
If vape stuff is (now) being considered tobacco products, how long before USPS,
UPS, FedEx, DHL and the rest stop delivering packages? In NY, at least, NONE
of them will handle cigarette deliveries. None. That would also shut down
packages from China, I would imagine.

The reason cigarettes and smokeless tobacco are not shipped by USPS is because of the PACT act. USPS does deliver pipe tobacco and cigars as the PACT act specifically designates cigarettes, roll you own cigarette tobacco, and smokeless. UPS does have a policy of not delivering cigarettes, but does delivery smokeless tobacco, though it takes an adult signature on delivery. That is also part of the PACT act.

In order for ecigs to not be delivered by USPS the PACT act would have to be amended.

The reason I know this is because the PACT act had a serious effect on delivery of snus from Sweden. International UPS shipping with an adult signature has greatly increased the price of shipping.
As of now ecigs are not under threat as far as shipping.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
The reason cigarettes and smokeless tobacco are not shipped by USPS is because of the PACT act. USPS does deliver pipe tobacco and cigars as the PACT act specifically designates cigarettes, roll you own cigarette tobacco, and smokeless. UPS does have a policy of not delivering cigarettes, but does delivery smokeless tobacco, though it takes an adult signature on delivery. That is also part of the PACT act.

In order for ecigs to not be delivered by USPS the PACT act would have to be amended.

The reason I know this is because the PACT act had a serious effect on delivery of snus from Sweden. International UPS shipping with an adult signature has greatly increased the price of shipping.
Thanks for that, Stubby. That helps some.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

I am not disagreeing with you @Stubby ,however if the FDA decides in order to carry
out its mandate of getting these newly deemed tobacco products into compliance and
under their control, what exactly in the PACT Act would prohibit them from restricting
transportation of products directly to buyers. It is MHO that with out a specific exemption
for e-liquid an harware The Pact Act has nothing to do with our situation.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I am not disagreeing with you @Stubby ,however if the FDA decides in order to carry
out its mandate of getting these newly deemed tobacco products into compliance and
under their control, what exactly in the PACT Act would prohibit them from restricting
transportation of products directly to buyers. It is MHO that with out a specific exemption
:2c:
Regards
Mike
The PACT act has everything to do with our situation as far as shipping goes. There is nothing in the tobacco control act that would give the FDA authority to stop shipping via USPS, or any other shipper. It is the PACT act, not the tobacco control act, that limited shipping on specific tobacco products.

Even though pipe tobacco and cigars are now deemed, it is still perfectly legal to ship with USPS, as are ecigs, and will remain so into the future unless the PACT act is amended.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It is MHO that with out a specific exemption
Stubby is correct.

The PACT Act does not cover tobacco products in general.
It covers only the products it specifically says it covers.

It will not cover electronic cigarettes unless it is amended to add them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread