I guess when one is discussing gov. stuff, just the facts is the humor. :?:

238c3aa239ce9f7fcdf082f413245bed.jpg

Master of Bassets...and not much else

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
don't worry bro, I'm not all uptight about anything that gets posted in my threads. only thing I'd rather not see get posted like crazy is a bunch of half naked chicks or "coffee" type pics, mainly out of respect for others...

as far as these regulations go, now don't get me wrong, I don't think for one minute that any of us small time modders are actually going to wind up being able to submit or ever actually get approval for anything from the FDA, it's just been my understanding that we would have about a year and a half before the hammer really drops and that we can still do what we do up until that point, before we have to start going all breaking bad on this stuff, especially if it's already on the market by 8/8..

as it is I think it's pretty crazy that eventually we'll wind up having to go all outlaw just to be able to build life saving devices, but it is what it is and like tom says, there will always be a way. I'm not a quitter either and nothing's gonna stop me from building mods, but the longer we can stay on the good side of the line the better I guess. truth is the whole thing is just so ridiculous that it's not even funny though. tax the nic, I don't have a problem with that, if we had to pay 40% more for our raw nic I could live with that and I might even say that's not even extremely unfair, but the rest of it is just pure BS plain and simple

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
ok this ultem is a really incredible material. it's like a super plastic composite resin. it's used in aircraft, automotive and medical fields. here is an excerpt from an article from GE engineering, the makers of this product:

ULTEM® resin in the automotive industry provides manufacturers with a high performance, cost- effective alternative to metal: strong enough to replace steel in some applications and light enough to replace aluminum in others.

For applications like transmission components, throttle bodies, ignition components, sensors and thermostat housings, ULTEM® resin can offer:

·Heat resistance up to 200°C, RTI of 170°C ·Chemical resistance against most automotive

fuels, fluids and oils
·Excellent dimensional stability (low creep

sensitivity and low, uniform coefficient of ·thermal expansion)

Superior torque strength and torque retention ·Excellent processibility with very tight ·molding tolerances

quoted from here:
http://www.hycompinc.com/PDFs/ULTEMProductBrochure.pdf

it really is an incredibly strong, durable material and it's also very scratch resistant. it's very resistant to cracking and handles extremely high temperatures, its impervious to all kinds of chemicals. it's not that easy to machine, it actually feels like a cross between the hardest of woods and aluminum in machining, it's as strong as aluminum and seems to be even more scratch resistant

here is a full mod made 100% from ultem:

DSC_0539_zpsfcpfygpe.jpg

DSC_0540_zpsnu9p6rpg.jpg

DSC_0541_zpsoeowi4hn.jpg

DSC_0542_zpsa7lwi3tg.jpg

DSC_0543_zpswhhm0y05.jpg

DSC_0544_zps4dd275ip.jpg

DSC_0545_zps3shycroy.jpg

DSC_0546_zpsfzlppewc.jpg

DSC_0547_zps4nnpc3pm.jpg

DSC_0535_zpsosqbifaw.jpg

DSC_0536_zpsd3rxnntz.jpg

now really I don't know that I'm completely in love with the whole transparency thing. I mean in one way it is kind of cool as a novelty, but on the other hand I also think that it would look more rich and classy if the whole interior of it was blacked out too.

this thing is a lot of work to build and the material itself is not cheap, it's more work than wood because it's as hard or even harder to machine than most hard woods and it also requires sanding and polishing inside and out which is a real pain, especially the whole inside. if the inside is not sanded and polished then you would see all of the machining marks in there as the outside is polished. feel in the hand is kind of cool, it def doesn't feel like cheap plastic, it's got a real quality feel to it and man is it strong. it's not soft at all like delrin or most other plastics, it's very hard but it's not brittle at all, I don't think you can break this thing even if it's really abused. it's kind of hard to really describe how durable this material is, there's not much else like it really.

I've been searching to see if I can find any other mod made completely from ultem but I can't find anything. yeah I'm finding tons of atty caps and tanks and drip tips, but no complete mods. has anyone ever seen any other mod made from this stuff?

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
1 - COOL.
2 - Hobo made one - I'll go look...

I've been searching to see if I can find any other mod made completely from ultem but I can't find anything. yeah I'm finding tons of atty caps and tanks and drip tips, but no complete mods. has anyone ever seen any other mod made from this stuff?

Google pix: "hobo ultem mod"
9e032286dd1fc30063df40006bf93437.jpg

1391358_212935795711189_810768965_n.jpg

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
yeah I gotta get me some better pictures man, real crappy lighting in my dining room :) ultem really pops in the sun, mine also still needs a little more polishing, just finished assembling it right before these shots. also need to make a matching ultem atty cap :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
image.jpeg
That mod just screams "sickest 18650 regulated squonker ever made"

The hobo X was a huge success - high demand and they sold well above RRP. Trade bait too.

An ultem regulated DNA 60, 75 or 200 squonker is likely to put BA mods on the map with extreme quickness.

Lol for shizz and grins I'd prolly even rock a 30q in that bad boy at times cause I'm a freak like that lol.

Nice work J from the BA. Epic.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
Would it be possible to do a very soft media blast on the inside? So maybe you could achieve a sort frosted finish internally and high polished on the outside . Just thinking out loud.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I guess that's a possibility, but even as it is right now, the inside is not really polished enough and that kinda gives it a sort of milky kind of look. if it was media blasted it would look even more so. as it is frosted it takes on a bit of a whitish tone but as it is polished it takes on a bit darker, more true to the amber color tone

the more polished the inside is the more rich it would look, but man, trying to get the internals to a completely glass like finish for total optical clarity would be a nightmare.

in the research I have done, one way to achieve a high polished finish internally that is done commercially on machined ultem parts is with something called vapor finishing. this is a method of some sort of chemical bath that has a floating layer of a very caustic vapor that you kind of dip the material into this vapor for a few seconds and this kind of dissolves a thin skin layer of the material enough that it flows smooth. I need to do more research on this.

this particular material does not react well at all to flame polishing because it is so flame resistant.

the other alternative is possibly a clear resin or epoxy coating internally.

also need to do more research, there may be a chemical solution like wiping the internals with MEK or something along those lines. I see hobo's is def clearer than mine internally but also def not 100% optically transparent either. also the thinner the layer is the more this is apparent, wherever the material is a bit thicker this is much less of an issue but my mod is relatively thin all over to minimize the overall size of the mod. it's thick enough to be very strong but thin enough that optical clarity is an issue.

getting the outside of this material to a glass like surface is one thing, but getting the internals to that kind of surface with mechanical polishing is a whole different ballgame.

I def need to come up with something, I mean it's certainly not horrible the way it is but it would def be a richer, darker and less milky washed out look with some sort of solution for this. media blasting the internals would actually give the opposite results of what this really needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread