Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
ok I did finish a few dna60's :)

here is my favorite one, it's a hybrid mod, meaning the atty is part of the mod in that there is no 510, the atty connects straight to the bottle and has direct electrical connections. this gives the smallest size possible and eliminates all of the problems of a 510 and a flex tube connection. there are no leaking points and there are no connection issues that a 510 could normally have, the positive connection is straight to the center pin and the ground connection is straight to the atty body, the drawback is you can't just swap atties, the atty is built into, and part of the mod. this one has a narda built into it but many atties will work for a setup like this and of course the atty is included with the mod or I could build one with your own atty.

now of course a different atty could be installed after the fact, but it would require tools, and the atty needs to be modified for to accept this setup, so this is more for someone who wants the smallest mod possible and will stick with one atty for the mod for the most part.

this is a full size 8.5ml bottle and a 750mah lipo, the battery life is only good for a few hours but this is the mod that will use docking ports to charge as I have mentioned previously here, I'm going to give it a workout the next few days and see what's what with it but so far it's hitting hard and vaping great and it's pretty damn small :)

DSC_0550_zpsrnhckxy9.jpg

DSC_0554_zpsrlnjbhyz.jpg

IMG_0907_zpsuo8g9hsg.jpg

DSC_0570_zpsm7mfzqss.jpg

DSC_0568_zpsxcqnrq3r.jpg

DSC_0567_zpsgjjux5zb.jpg

DSC_0563_zpsy0maqevu.jpg

DSC_0560_zpsthpqerem.jpg

DSC_0557_zpsok3r5rfh.jpg

and the line up, left to right, dna200, dna75, dna60 :)

DSC_0572_zpszzrjxuyf.jpg

I also finished 2 other types but my camera died, one is very similar to this but has a regular 510 and accepts any atty, but of course with an atty on top of it instead of recessed it winds up being a little taller overall, and the other is a slim model similar to this, all have been completed before the deadline and bob has agreed to buy them all for $1 as you have all witnessed so there all "on the market" before the 8/8 deadline :)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
now don't get me wrong, this does not mean that I won't be designing any new mods past this point because I def will, just that what I have built so far technically falls under the "on the market before 8/8" category should that ever really matter, which honestly to me I don't think it even matters much tbh, this is more for the "just in case it ever did make a difference" category :)

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx

here is my favorite one, it's a hybrid mod, meaning the atty is part of the mod in that there is no 510, the atty connects straight to the bottle and has direct electrical connections. this gives the smallest size possible and eliminates all of the problems of a 510 and a flex tube connection. there are no leaking points and there are no connection issues that a 510 could normally have, the positive connection is straight to the center pin and the ground connection is straight to the atty body, the drawback is you can't just swap atties, the atty is built into, and part of the mod. this one has a narda built into it but many atties will work for a setup like this and of course the atty is included with the mod or I could build one with your own atty.

now of course a different atty could be installed after the fact, but it would require tools, and the atty needs to be modified for to accept this setup, so this is more for someone who wants the smallest mod possible and will stick with one atty for the mod for the most part.

this is a full size 8.5ml bottle and a 750mah lipo, the battery life is only good for a few hours but this is the mod that will use docking ports to charge as I have mentioned previously here, I'm going to give it a workout the next few days and see what's what with it but so far it's hitting hard and vaping great and it's pretty damn small :)

DSC_0550_zpsrnhckxy9.jpg

DSC_0554_zpsrlnjbhyz.jpg

IMG_0907_zpsuo8g9hsg.jpg

DSC_0570_zpsm7mfzqss.jpg

DSC_0568_zpsxcqnrq3r.jpg

DSC_0567_zpsgjjux5zb.jpg

DSC_0563_zpsy0maqevu.jpg

DSC_0560_zpsthpqerem.jpg

DSC_0557_zpsok3r5rfh.jpg

DSC_0572_zpszzrjxuyf.jpg

I also finished 2 other types but my camera died, one is very similar to this but has a regular 510 and accepts any atty, but of course with an atty on top of it instead of recessed it winds up being a little taller overall, and the other is a slim model similar to this, all have been completed before the deadline and bob has agreed to buy them all for $1 as you have all witnessed so there all "on the market" before the 8/8 deadline :)

Wow! Spooky.
Here is the rough draft of an email that I started composing to Chowderhead1972. I got busy and never sent it.

"Tom

Since you are working on designs for a new mod I thought I would throw this out there fully expecting

To be shot down. Just brainstorming.

What if you made a mod that has an integrated rda base, eliminating the 510 connection completely?

Most rda’s bases are very similar, two or three post design. The main difference in rda’s (styling, airflow) happens in the barrel or top cap. You could offer different top caps and positive posts, straight for single coil or T-shaped for duel coil.

The positive connection could be divorced from the squonk hole. Instead of having the positive connection go up threw the center and jogging over to the side of the base, the connection could go directly up the inside edge of the base. By eliminating the 510 you would reduce the complexity, cost, and potential for leaking, and improve connectivity and reliability.

This would allow you to reduce the height of the mod or use a taller juice bottle. This would also reduce the travel distance from juice bottle to rda base.

Another option could be a threaded opening in the top of the mod that could achieve the same goals, but allow optional bases to be used. Kind of like a Z2 HouseofHybrid or Provape P3 connection. Maybe you could convince one of your atty maker friends to do a design-in.

The biggest downsides of this design:

1) This would not work with existing or future rda’s, which make some potential buyers balk.

2) This design also goes against your core business."

Great minds think alike.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
There is an anecdote "What does a Horse's .... have to do with the space shuttle". Although some of the details have been refuted, it still makes an important point.

Today’s lesson is about the persistence of technology.

Once a standard for technology is set, it is very very very difficult to get rid of it.

Thus, as we enter into an entirely new realm of technology with the web and digital, we should be careful not to infect our new world with remnants from the old.

As we say in the Academies, you have to forget everything you know or you think you know, or old architecture and old ways of working will bleed in, often without your even knowning why or where they came from.

A case in point:

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails)
is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That’s an exceedingly odd number.

Why was that gauge used? Because that’s the way they built them
in England and English expatriates designed the US railroads.

Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were
built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that’s the
gauge they used.

Why did ‘they’ use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways
used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons,
which used that wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon
wheels would break on some of the old long distance roads in England, because that’s
the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long
distance roads in Europe (including England) for their legions. Those roads have
been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which
everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since
the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of
wheel spacing… Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4
feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war
chariot.

Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder

‘What horse’s .... came up with this?’, you may be exactly right.
Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of
two war horses (Two horses’ butts).

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there
are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank.
These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory
in Utah.

The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit
fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the
launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in
the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is
slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is
about as wide as two horses’ behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world’s most
advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years
ago by the width of a horse’s ....

The 510 was originally designed for ciga-likes and now we seem to be stuck with it.

EDIT: apparently the .... word is censored.

Last edited:

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
I for one feel better knowing that.
The 510 is not even a true standard other than the threads, which is why we have to have spring adjustable connections. I have a Magma that has such a long 510 that it won't sit flush on any of my mods. Even battery's can have variations that have to be accommodated in a devices design.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA

DSC_0550_zpsrnhckxy9.jpg

DSC_0554_zpsrlnjbhyz.jpg

IMG_0907_zpsuo8g9hsg.jpg

DSC_0570_zpsm7mfzqss.jpg

DSC_0568_zpsxcqnrq3r.jpg

DSC_0567_zpsgjjux5zb.jpg

DSC_0563_zpsy0maqevu.jpg

DSC_0560_zpsthpqerem.jpg

DSC_0557_zpsok3r5rfh.jpg

DSC_0572_zpszzrjxuyf.jpg

I want a DNA60 like this one! Should I put "mini/integrated DNA60" next to my name on the list?

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
peng the dna60's are still going to be a while before they're available but I'll put you down for one when they are available :)

I've been using this mod all day and now tonight when I go to pick up any of my other mods they all feel big :) one thing that's pretty funny is the juice run is so short and the flow is so free with the direct connection that I gotta retrain my squonk, you just need to lightly touch the bottle to squonk, I've been over squonking it all day :) a top air cap would be ideal on a mod like this I think. I vape 100% vg juice and I've never felt the need to restrict flow until now, this thing just squonks too easy :)

boxster I hear what your saying and I've been thinking the same thing for a while now as you can see :) originally my thoughts too were to build my own atty base from scratch but now a days there are so many good atties out there that I figured why try and reinvent the wheel? the weakness of a 510 is completely circumvented with a setup like this even if you start with a 510 atty as the base. I would like to adopt this setup to a larger mod too, I def want to do a dna75 sized mod like this. I've never considered an accordion bottle because I don't really see the need but I have considered other alternatives for squonking, some day if I ever have the time I'll build something that's very different from the soft squeeze bottles current feeders all use :)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I won't rule it out in ultem, but the problem with ultem is it's expensive and there are minimum sizes that can be ordered, and once it goes over the 1" thickness it starts to get even more expensive. right now I have some amber ultem on order and some black ultem on order, both in 1" thickness for the dna75's and 200's and that alone is well over a grand in materials and were not talking large pieces either.... this mod is tiny but it is a little thicker than 1", it's actually 1.3" thick so that would require another very expensive material order of 1.5" material... again not ruling it out but probably not any time soon.

delrin is a lot more likely sooner, although not exactly cheap it is much more reasonably priced than ultem. I'll look into it, but again, the dna60 chips won't really be available from evolv till October at least. this mod could also be built from a dna40 chip too btw, so for anyone who doesn't vape temperature controlled that could be an option, I do have a bunch of dna40 chips still :) the dna40 is a temperature controlled chip too of course but the dna60 is just so far more advanced when it comes to temperature control

I really like wood mods personally but this ultem has now become another favorite of mine, super durable like billet aluminum but not as cold or easy to scratch and mark up. has an excellent feel in hand. personally although I can't say I hate the translucence of the amber I'm really looking foward to the black ultem. that might just be the ultimate material for a mod in my opinion, vey expensive material but I guess not surprising as the ultimate material. I will build some delrin mods too, but ultem def feels much richer and higher quality than delrin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread