RDA Two-post RDA: Tsunami, Tobeco Velocity / Velocity Mini clone, something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I'm looking for a new two-post rda and am having some difficulty deciding. My typical builds are simple -- dual coil 24 gauge or twisted 28 gauge with a 2.5 mm or 3 mm diameter. I haven't had much luck with "wide" coils with many wraps, and usually stick with 6 - 8 wraps. I rarely, if ever, go with more than 10 wraps.

And this is why I am having difficulty figuring out what to get. Almost every two-post RDA has a rather large space between the posts. While this allows for complex builds like fused Claptons which can get quite wide even with only a few wraps, my usual builds are very narrow. Plus, because I am only using relatively small diameter (2.5 mm - 3 mm) coils, the vertical space between the post holes on Velocity-style decks are also a concern. I could always just use the two bottom holes instead of diagonally-opposed holes, so I'm worried about that as much as I am with the horizontal gap between the positive and negative posts.

From looking at photos, it appears that the distance between the two posts on the Tsunami is a bit less than that of the Velocity and Velocity Mini, although it is still a pretty large gap. But the Tsunami also has absolutely massive post holes in comparison, which may not work well with the somewhat thin 24 gauge and twisted 28 gauge wire I usually use.

So what do you think my best option is? If there is an RDA other than the Tsunami or the Velocity Mini (I'm leaning towards the Mini if I go the Velocity route) which might work better for me, I'd like to keep things under $50 if possible. I'm willing to go up to $70 - $80 if necessary, but would consider an RDA as much as $100 if it really would be that much better for my usual builds. Traditional (side) airflow, bottom airflow, or top airflow doesn't matter to me -- I've used all three and each have their own benefits and drawbacks (I don't have a favorite). I'm also not married to the Velocity style "stacked" deck, and would consider just a standard two-post RDA, but I am leaning towards a Velocity deck because I don't have an RDA with one.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
@jersey_emt, I am using the Velocity RDA with dual coil 24 gauge and 2.5 mm or 3 mm diameter. Almost all my builds are spaced coils and I like it alot. Although, I am thinking of getting the tsunami for different airflow.

Curious why you're concerned about horizontal spacing?

Because my builds are contact coils with only 7 or 8 wraps, and I don't like having to bend the legs that far.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Check out the stumpy.
Looks interesting, thanks. But the posts look pretty far apart (definitely more than the Tsunami, which according to the drawings look to be just under 7 mm distance). Plus, my Bambino RDA, similar in size to the Stumpy, gets ridiculously hot, even with a silicone drip tip. The top cap of the Stumpy looks like it will dissipate heat much better than the Bambino's thin top cap, but I think it would still get pretty hot, so I'd rather go with something a bit larger.

geekvape_tsunami_rda_rebuildable_dripping_atomizer_silver_authentic_1_.jpg

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Don't think you'll find any RDA/RDTA with posts that close together.
Even with 20ga 7-8 contact wraps, that would be what 5mm apart?

True, but the less "extra" width there is, the less the legs have to be bent, and the less excess leg length there is. I'd much rather have to only bend each leg 2 mm than 5 mm.

Reactions: puffon

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
This looks interesting -- the Goon RDA. With the clamps, wire thickness won't matter, and you aren't "limited" to the positioning of post holes (it doesn't matter how wide the coil is, just slip the leads under the clamps).

image-jpeg.533758

It's a 24 mm RDA instead of the standard 22 mm. Has anyone used a 24 mm RDA on a Cuboid? Is there any overhang? With 22 mm RDA there's about a millimeter of space between the RDA and the edge of the mod, so a 24 mm RDA should come right up to the edge.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
The Snapdragon, Stumpy and Magma Reborn all fit your bill. And excellent flavor from any of these. Snapdragon and Stumpy rank high though I tend to see some leaking from overfills and sloppy handling. MR has largest capacity plus catch basin to minimizes leaks; however can be mildly noisy on hard draws. None the less, it's my current fav.

Edit: Just checked center-to-center post spacing (with micrometers) with the following approximate results:

Snapdragon - 7mm
Stumpy and MR - 9mm

Enjoy!

Last edited:

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I'm looking for a new two-post RDA and am having some difficulty deciding. My typical builds are simple -- dual coil 24 gauge or twisted 28 gauge with a 2.5 mm or 3 mm diameter. I haven't had much luck with "wide" coils with many wraps, and usually stick with 6 - 8 wraps. I rarely, if ever, go with more than 10 wraps.

And this is why I am having difficulty figuring out what to get. Almost every two-post RDA has a rather large space between the posts. While this allows for complex builds like fused Claptons which can get quite wide even with only a few wraps, my usual builds are very narrow. Plus, because I am only using relatively small diameter (2.5 mm - 3 mm) coils, the vertical space between the post holes on Velocity-style decks are also a concern. I could always just use the two bottom holes instead of diagonally-opposed holes, so I'm worried about that as much as I am with the horizontal gap between the positive and negative posts.

From looking at photos, it appears that the distance between the two posts on the Tsunami is a bit less than that of the Velocity and Velocity Mini, although it is still a pretty large gap. But the Tsunami also has absolutely massive post holes in comparison, which may not work well with the somewhat thin 24 gauge and twisted 28 gauge wire I usually use.

So what do you think my best option is? If there is an RDA other than the Tsunami or the Velocity Mini (I'm leaning towards the Mini if I go the Velocity route) which might work better for me, I'd like to keep things under $50 if possible. I'm willing to go up to $70 - $80 if necessary, but would consider an RDA as much as $100 if it really would be that much better for my usual builds. Traditional (side) airflow, bottom airflow, or top airflow doesn't matter to me -- I've used all three and each have their own benefits and drawbacks (I don't have a favorite). I'm also not married to the Velocity style "stacked" deck, and would consider just a standard two-post RDA, but I am leaning towards a Velocity deck because I don't have an RDA with one.
I just fire, aim and ready. Buy all the clones and see if you like them.

Expectations are always a big let down anyway.

Bonne chance.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
The Snapdragon, Stumpy and Magma Reborn all fit your bill.

Just checked center-to-center post spacing (with micrometers) with the following approximate results:

Snapdragon - 7mm
Stumpy and MR - 9mm

Thanks for the suggestions and for measuring the post spacing. The Stumpy and Magma Reborn are a bit wider than I want, but the Snapdragon looks good. The authentic is much more than I'm willing to pay ($135). Do you know if there is a Tobeco or EHPro clone of it? The only clones that I've been happy with were made by these two manufacturers.

If there is an EHPro or Tobeco clone of the Snapdragon, then my choices are narrowed down to it, the Tsunami, and the Goon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread