Status
Not open for further replies.

danibanani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
UPDATE... I found the Noalox. Don't worry about helping me now.

Help!

I am attempting to purchase Ideal Noalox 4 oz. for the threads on my silver bullet.

I tried amazon. I need a $25 in other stuff to ship it.

I attempted Lowes to ship online. I can't get in online. Have to buy it in store and I looked up my zip and nowhere even remotely close sells the stuff.

Walmart wants almost $23 to but it and ship it. This is usually around $10 in other stores.

Hubby has tried Walmart, the local hardware store, and Meijer. No luck. We live in the middle of nowhere. I need to order it online because we are over an hour away from anywhere close!!!

Any recommendations? Can I use something else instead of noalox for threading of my silver bullet? I really wish altsmoke carried it since they recommend it.

Thanks,
Dani

Last edited:

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
Just a FYI...

I stopped using any and all lubes/anti-oxidants on my mods. All I do any more is give them a good cleaning with alcohol and cotton swabs once a week and I never have a problem.

You might want to give this a try before chasing snake oil all over the interwebz

Easier and wa-a-a-a-y cheaper.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I bought mine at home depot about 5 or 6 bucks for a 4oz bottle:)
But Home Depot won't ship it. In-store only.

Just a FYI...

I stopped using any and all lubes/anti-oxidants on my mods. All I do any more is give them a good cleaning with alcohol and cotton swabs once a week and I never have a problem.

You might want to give this a try before chasing snake oil all over the interwebz

Easier and wa-a-a-a-y cheaper.

I agree 100%. Noalox stands for No Aluminum Oxidation. It improves conductivity in connections made with aluminum.

But the Silver Bullet is made of Stainless Steel (which doesn't oxidize). Noalox won't improve the conductivity (and may well make it worse).

Just keep your threads clean and you'll be all set.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Noalox really doesn't do anything. Clean the threads with a toothbrush and alcohol. If you want to add some lube a very small dab of vaseline or some (very small) penetrating oil. Make sure to clean it nicely after adding.

"Anti-oxidant and anti-seizing compound improves efficiency and service life of aluminum electrical applications" Aluminum..

With that said I bought into the Noalox hype 2 years ago. I used it once and the tube is still sitting in my cabinet never to be used again. I did find a little tube in Lowes. It was hard to find.

BTW here is link to some reading on electrical guys and noalox. I will highlight the passage I find interesting.

Noalox on copper to copper connections - Electrical/Electronic engineering other topics - Eng-Tips

"I see that. Conductive without metal? Wonder how they do that.
Anyway, Noalux (not NOOX)on copper would put zinc in the joint causing a higher resistance than an untreated connection. "

It may be by using Noalox you are creating more resistance. It is the internet and I am not an electrical guy, but then again the internet is how the Noalox trend got started.

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas
Noalax can be found in the electrical aisle at lowes and home depot. It's about 6 bucks for the 4oz bottle.

Also, it's supposed to be used more for your battery to switch connection than anything else. It will prevent arcing which torches the positive battery terminal over time. Before I used it, I burned out 4 VTC4 batteries in a month from sub ohming. Now that I use it I've had the same batteries for a few months with very little arc marks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I used to use Noalox until I realized that it's an anti-oxidant for aluminum parts that does not promote conductivity in mods. I then switched to NO-OX-ID A Special but no longer use it or anything else on my threads. I don't know if either of these really help, but they do attract dirt, grime, and lint and make the threads dirtier and less conductive than using nothing at all IMO.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
I used to use Noalox until I realized that it's an anti-oxidant for aluminum parts that does not promote conductivity in mods. I then switched to NO-OX-ID A Special but no longer use it or anything else on my threads. I don't know if either of these really help, but they do attract dirt, grime, and lint and make the threads dirtier and less conductive than using nothing at all IMO.

Im with you.

I`m in the camp that exposed grease is just going to promote a dirty connection.

So, with every other rebuild or rewick I simply wash and dry the mod also. Never have a problem using this method of cleanliness.

:?)

Snugglepooter

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Upstate NY
UPDATE!!!

I bit the bullet and drove just over an hour to Home Depot and bought a 4 ounce bottle for just under $6. Isle 10, electrical isle.

Head/slap:facepalm:

Before I read the replies on the forum.

Ugh. But at least I know my bullet is well greased now.

Thank you all for your help,
Dani

I'm not gonna do it, I'm not gonna say nuthin. I'm gonna be good this time, I swear. My will is strong. Snuggieisagoodboy:unsure:Snuggieisagoodboy:(Snuggieisagoodboy:ohmy:Snuggieisagoodboy:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread