EU UK regulation -- Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakindahouse

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Gloucester
Hi, all,

Sorry not to have posted sooner, but got back and haven't had respite from the phone until now!

OK, so until the full press release tomorrow, here is a brief summary of today's meeting:

We were greeted downstairs by Clare Hodges, asking if we were here for the NRT meeting. I, of course, said 'no'. She then turned to the receptionist to ask who she was supposed to be greeting. I confirmed that we were here for the meeting, but it wasn't about NRT. (It REALLY winds me up when they do that! Grrr!)

In the boardroom, there were 7 of them - no June Raine, but Amanda Bryan was there - and 3 of us. Jeremy Mean took charge from their side. They all introduced themselves, and then we did, starting with our legal hotshot, who proclaimed himself to be 'ECITA's retained legal adviser', at which point Jeremy Mean looked like he was facing an imminent cardiac arrest. He blustered a bit, and said, 'I think it's worth pointing out at this stage - in terms of the fact that you have a legal adviser - that we don't have a lawyer present', and seemed thoroughly put out.

Jeremy Mean told us that there is still no decision. I asked him whether or not they were intending to stick to their undertaking to give us a decision in September, pointing out that there were still two days of September after today (ample time, IMHO!), but he said that they were having a few challenges. They have had over 1,200 responses submitted, there are legal issues, the RPC Opinion, issues with the new government, so they are unable to give us a final decision at this stage. He said that it would be weeks rather than days, but they hoped it wouldn't be months.

The three of us attending for ECITA all felt that what this actually meant was that the MHRA is struggling to persuade the new coalition govt to sign off on the MHRA's untenable position. They certainly seem unable to go ahead and publish the decision they WANT to publish - as detailed in MLX 364, i.e. to license these as medicines and/or remove them from the market - because if they did have ministerial sign off for this, then there would be no reason for them to delay publishing the decision, would there?

We explained a bit about ECITA's aims and goals, what we are doing at the moment and moving forward, and the progress we have already made. We described the work we have been doing in engaging with Trading Standards Officers, and the cooperation we have had from them. Mike Ryan, ECITA's Chairman, pointed out that the delays in finalising MLX 364 have effectively 'muddied the waters', making it harder for ECITA and Trading Standards to effectively police the regulation of our industry. We left them with copies of emails from one Trading Standards Officer, who is the Head of Product Safety for Gloucestershire, and who was involved in drafting the General Product Safety Regulations. He had provided us with a stated position from Trading Standards that these products are not medicines, and are safer remaining within the current regulatory framework, than moving into medicines licensing. (I need to check if I have permission from the rest of the ECITA team to publish these, but if I can, I will.)

Jeremy Mean asked if we were aware of the EU consultation on tobacco products; we told him we were. (He seemed mildly disappointed that we knew about this.)

He asked if we had anything in particular we wanted to say, and our legal adviser pressed them on their legal advice, since he could not see any way in which they could have had reliable advice to proceed as they have done. They skirted around this, explaining that it is government policy not to publish legal advice, but that they hoped to explain how it 'fits', and the 'trigger' from J&J (i.e. the extension to the indications for use for the inhalator, which started this whole fiasco!), as well as how policy and law fit together.

Our legal adviser skilfully dismembered these arguments, and casually dropped in the fact that we have lobbyists and PR consultants on board, as well as legal, and they clearly recognised that ECITA is a force to be reckoned with: this industry is not simply going to roll over and play dead!

There was some discussion about the fact that NRT products were being regulated as medicines by claim up until the J&J indications extension, and I questioned how they had gone from this position to seeking to remove our products from sale within 21 days. Our legal adviser added, 'without any evidence of harm'.

The MHRA didn't appear to want to discuss this, protesting that we were not looking at dangerous products, and hinting that this was irrelevant. (Another own goal from them there, methinks!)

The longer they prevaricate, and avoid publishing the decision, the more likely it becomes that their untenable position will implode entirely, and MLX364 will take up residence in the bin where it belongs.

It's good news, folks! (And that's not just me: our legal adviser and Mike think so too, so although we haven't won yet, we haven't lost, and our position gets stronger by the day!)

Enjoy!

Katherine

maclean

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2010
italy
Thanks for the report and all your hard work!

I'm scottish, although I now live in italy, but I'm concerned about what happens in the UK, and of course, this is a global fight, so every country is important. In my 7 weeks of vaping, I've been doing a lot of reading, mostly in the last 3 weeks, and mainly about the FDA court cases. Tonight was my first chance to go through this thread (I vaped a few mls just reading it all - lol), and I'm very impressed by the way this is being handled by you all. Very professional. (That's not a comment on our american cousins - They're equally professional, of course).

Incidentally, I bought my first e-cig in a pharmacy in Italy, where they're on sale legally. As rolygate mentioned, Italy allows the sale of e-cigs as long as they contain a minimum of nicotine, and don't claim any magical health benefits. The only thing manufacturers here need is a certificate for the flavors they contain. I buy my juice from FlavourArt, a company who traditionally made flavors for the food industry, ice-cream, etc, (available through Totally wicked and Liberty Flights). They saw an opportunity in e-cigs and opened up a vaping section with some great tobacco flavors, plus all the normal food flavors they sell anyway. So it's all quite legal and above board here.

At least one country in europe has seen fit to implement a civilised law on e-cigs. Let's hope the UK will eventually do the same.

mac

Perfectionist

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2008
London
One of my favourite movies is Heat – there’s a scene where Robert DeNiro is sitting in a car, getting told by Jon Voight, that his adversary Al Pacino reckons he is so dang smart !! A cop admiring a villain !!

Likewise, ya just gotta love how they played this !! Without doubt, the MHRA are in constant communication with the EU Regulators – who released their announcement on Friday, let it spread and sink in on Monday, and then scheduled the MHRA to meet those uppity E-ciggers on Tuesday !!

What they have been plotting all along has been revealed - they are probably just using delay tactics now so they can stand under the all-powerful umbrella of the EU Directive ....... if they can’t nail Vaping as a Medicinal product, they definitely will as a Tobacco product ...... I’m sure they are tying up the legalities as we speak ...... :(

Forgive me for being Mr Negative again !! Still, it's early days and this is just the first (second?) round ...... it ain't over til the fat lady sings !! (no sexism intended!)

By the way Freaky, what is the name of the legal firm you are using (or is that a big secret?) and please try to stick to the "facts" instead of putting your own school-girl spin on things babe !! I take it you’re in contact with Tesco to appraise their perspective on the proceedings ??

westcoast2

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
London, UK
Perfectionist noted...
What they have been plotting all along has been revealed - they are probably just using delay tactics now so they can stand under the all-powerful umbrella of the EU Directive ....... if they can’t nail Vaping as a Medicinal product, they definitely will as a Tobacco product ...... I’m sure they are tying up the legalities as we speak ...... :(
Interesting comment.

The EU position set out in 2008 was http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_determinants/life_style/Tobacco/Documents/orientation_0508_en.pdf

There are 3 regulatory frameworks, Medicinal, Tobacco and General. A number of EU states went down the medicinal route (Austria for example). The UK has attempted to do the same. Initialy all EU member states were urged to treat e-cigarettes within the medicinal framework.

To now suggest the EU strategy all along was to classify e-cigarettes as tobacco products is a stretch (imho). Could the NJOY(SE)/FDA case have had an impact?

Changes to the EU directive on Tobacco products is in the consultation stage and in addition to the e-cig, Snus (and ST in general) groups have managed to make an impact. This is progress of sorts.

Bringing e-cigs within the tobacco products legislative framework is not the aim of anti-smoking groups that dominate TC within the EU. This is certainly not the policy of the RCP and hence ASH (UK/Scotland/Wales etc).

It seems to be the case that authorities want to excert control over e-cigs outside the general products framework. It does seem they are all at sea as to how to do it in a way that that does not expose their hypocricy concerning public health and does not undermine their own propaganda on tobacco products.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Katherine: Don't listen to Perfectionist. I like hearing your observations and opinion regarding what's happening. Those of us who don't live in the UK don't have the same conceptual framework...different laws, different regulating bodies, even subtle differences in culture. So your commentary helps us to understand the implications and ramifications of the facts.

Perfectionist

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2008
London
I always thought you Brits were supposed to be eceedingly polite. Let's try to live up to those expectations, please.

Ta Ta blokes, off to the pub........

Don't make me come back here.

We're usually polite to furriners but we get the knives out for each other. :)

Don't worry, it's just a tribal thing, not long back we were painting ourselves purple and waving spears at anyone who showed up. We have made progress..... a bit.
This Yank has obviously not seen Prime Minister's Questions !! :lol:

It was bad enough you let these ex-colonials join the forum Roly, but now you're letting them become Mods !! See, ya give em an inch, they take a yard !! :laugh:

As my father would say ...... it's certainly not Cricket !! :p

Perfectionist

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2008
London
Perfectionist noted...
Interesting comment.

The EU position set out in 2008 was http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_determinants/life_style/Tobacco/Documents/orientation_0508_en.pdf

There are 3 regulatory frameworks, Medicinal, Tobacco and General. A number of EU states went down the medicinal route (Austria for example). The UK has attempted to do the same. Initialy all EU member states were urged to treat e-cigarettes within the medicinal framework.

To now suggest the EU strategy all along was to classify e-cigarettes as tobacco products is a stretch (imho). Could the NJOY(SE)/FDA case have had an impact?

Changes to the EU directive on Tobacco products is in the consultation stage and in addition to the e-cig, Snus (and ST in general) groups have managed to make an impact. This is progress of sorts.

Bringing e-cigs within the tobacco products legislative framework is not the aim of anti-smoking groups that dominate TC within the EU. This is certainly not the policy of the RCP and hence ASH (UK/Scotland/Wales etc).

It seems to be the case that authorities want to excert control over e-cigs outside the general products framework. It does seem they are all at sea as to how to do it in a way that that does not expose their hypocricy concerning public health and does not undermine their own propaganda on tobacco products.
Even more interesting reply bro !!

I think we'll both agree, that EVERYTHING they throw at E-cigs is a "stretch" my friend !!

With all they have at stake here, "reclassifying" will most definitely be attempted and most certainly has been planned, at least as a fall-back position if not their primary goal as I suggested - what makes you think this would be impossible to achieve ??

The progress, as you call it, has been made on products of negligible commercial value - this will not be the case with E-cigs as they are (imho) an immense and very direct threat ..... or do you disagree ??

The preference will obviously be for Medical Regulation under UK Jurisdiction, as this gives greater scope and control ..... either to (eventually) “ban” by proxy ..... or to effectively hand a monopoly to the Corporations - or do you disagree with this also ??

Unfortunately, precedents have already been set in other countries, and European jurisprudence is notoriously corrupt and convoluted ..... and much more "expensive" to invalidate - I'm sure you won't disagree that "they" have much deeper pockets than "us" .....

Dude, they are coming for us, from every angle possible, using all means necessary ..... if you really do have faith in this errr "public consultation" .....I’d be very curious to know why .....

Perfectionist

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2008
London
Katherine: Don't listen to Perfectionist. I like hearing your observations and opinion regarding what's happening. Those of us who don't live in the UK don't have the same conceptual framework...different laws, different regulating bodies, even subtle differences in culture. So your commentary helps us to understand the implications and ramifications of the facts.
Hey, what's so bad about me !! :wub:

I want E-cigs to take over the World !! :banana:

I just have a much more balanced and realistic perspective ...... apparently that makes me the Anti-Christ ?! :blink:

Perfectionist

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2008
London
Don't worry Elaine. No-one's going to be shutting me up just yet! LOL
Quite the opposite babe - you need to open your gob a lot more !!

Although not quite in this manner Freaky ...... "I mentioned to Jeremy Mean that I had Cornflakes for breakfast, he raised an eyebrow, which obviously means, he had Weetabix !! Therefore E-cigs are saved, Yipee !!" ...... I appreciate you're a salesgirl and are playing to a mainly layman audience (who are desperate for a ray of sunshine!) - but someone in your position really should avoid making assumptions ...... leave that to everyone else, we're much better at it !! :laugh:

Try a little less "theatrics" and a lot more transparency ....... you can start by spilling the beans on which Law Firm ECITA has hired and whether you have approached Tesco, or not ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread