Ultrasonic Cleaning of Atomizers - The VERY BEST way !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaronRocco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Conroe, TX
The Connoissers LaSonic Supreme Sonic Jewelry is NOT a ultra sonic cleaner. I would expect the results with a Ultrasonic Cleaner to be much better.

Is this one you got?
41aWcjCoCYL._SS500_.jpg

Yes, this is the exact one I purchased.
At the time I purchased it I had not realized that it wasn't an ultrasonic cleaner...which is why I made sure to post the "This machine does not pulse at a given frequency, but instead uses electrical soundwaves to agitate whatever solution(s) are used." portion.

I simply added this to the mix, so people would know of another option, should they have the troubles that I did locating an affordable U-S cleaner (non internet), that still worked. I have no doubts of the ultra-sonic's abilities to best this one, but it was available at the moment...and for me, IMO, it did the job well enough to suit my purposes.

~Be Well!

Uncle Screwtape

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2010
NE-IL
Ultrasonic cleaners are not designed to be used with flammable liquids. I would recommend soaking equipment in alcohol then placing them in the ultrasonic unit filled with water.

Please, please be very careful if you don't heed this advice. In some lighting conditions (bright mostly) an alcohol fire can remain unseen for quite a while.

Lets be careful out there.

BaronRocco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Conroe, TX
:unsure:Finally, my cleaner is on the way from Harbor Freight. I really hope this takes care of my three burnt tasting attys :unsure: Gonna use everclear and see what happens.

The MAIN reason I used the Everclear is (a) high-alcohol content = faster drying/evap. time and (b) Everclear is well known for not "really" having a flavor...this proves correct, once it dried.

~Be Well!

Bayemon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Omaha
I found a new Haier HU335W mentioned in the OP on EBay for $29 including shipping. Just came today and I hit up my attys... I had one that was darn near dead and probably would have been thrown away shortly. After a 5 minute vodka soak, followed by 9 minutes in the cleaner and the dang thing is vaping like a champ. Quite amazing. Well worth my investment.

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
The MAIN reason I used the Everclear is (a) high-alcohol content = faster drying/evap. time and (b) Everclear is well known for not "really" having a flavor...this proves correct, once it dried.

~Be Well!

OMG, it brought my atty right back to life. I even tried one of the liquids I don't like at first because I wasn't sure what would happen but I am impressed. They had another PGA called Graves and it was a few dollars cheaper but the same alcohol content and it worked like a charm. The only thing you have to be careful of is scratching the finish right after you take it out of the cleaner. It leaves the edges looking like they want to peel but after it dries that will go away and the finish seems to be just as strong as it was before. After I took them out, I put them under a little desk light I have that creates some heat and they dried perfectly. I blew the atty out and put a tank on and for a little while it seemed like the cleaning had done nothing but after a bit of puffing and confusion it actually started working perfectly. For anyone that was wondering, I didn't even fill the cleaner up to the fill line; just enough to cover the atty(s) and it was fine. I have a feeling that this will be my only method of cleaning my attys but if anything should happen, I will definately post about it. Breathing a sigh of relief right now though along with some vapor that doesn't taste like burnt nether regions :D

kilascay

Dec 18, 2010
cali
Did u end up with a clean atty if so what worked for you?
I had taken the plate off (I grabbed the needle with a small pair of forceps) because I needed to replace the wick. That is when I saw how badly gunked it was. I'd rather not have to because I just can't seem to get the knack of making new wicks:(

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

starling

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
NY
I saw this one on eBay too, but it wasn't the strength that the OP recommended (it was much weaker). According to the OP, the unit should do 42,000 waves per minute (or was it second?). If the one you got was the same one I looked at, it is only 5,800 waves. Maybe this one will do okay with the recommended 3x3minute cleaning cycles. Or maybe since it is weaker, it may take several more cycles to achieve the same effect. Guess you'll just have to try it and see.
Has anyone confirmed that the lower wave models also work?

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
For all (and this may answer your question as well, daisyd)
I waited to test out this type of cleaning on cartomizers until someone posted, but couldn't wait anymore, lol. So here we go.

I picked up a Connoissers LaSonic Supreme Sonic Jewelry cleaner from Wally-world (Clearance for $15.00). It did not list the frequency, so I contacted the makers, to which the response was "This machine does not pulse at a given frequency, but instead uses electrical soundwaves to agitate whatever solution(s) are used.

Either way, putting on 9 minute cycles did NOTHING with this device. So I experimented, and succeded (I think).
Here is what *I* did (Y.M.M.V.):
I use straight-up Everclear, fill the cups to the fill line and away we go.

ATOMIZERS: (Do not pile as they do move about) -Ran on "low setting" for @ 10 mins.
-Let rest in the liquid for @ 5 mins.
-Run on high for 15 minutes.
-Take out, blow excess through the threaded end and put on paper towel (threaded end up) to let dry.
Afterwards, could see little nasty bits floating, and discoloration, of the Everclear.

CARTOMIZERS: (Again, leave room for them to move about)
-Soak in liquid for 5 mins.
-Run on low for 10 mins.
-Rest 5 mins.
-Run on high for 10 mins.
-Take out, blow excess through the threaded end and put on paper towel (threaded end up) to let dry. *These you have to let dry for at LEAST 24hrs, 48 is better*
Afterwards, Everclear is left VERY murky/discolored, and now smells like fruit-flavored EC (I like the fruitier juices).
I may have to run these through again, as there was still a tiny bit of color still left behind on the polyfill. tastes fine though.

Conclusion: For attys, it rocked! For Cartos, I may have a little more experimenting to do, and then again the boil method may be the best for cartomizers, as it takes the flavor AND color out in the first go. This does do the job though!

Hope that helps someone out!

~Be Well!
BaronRocco

Yes, this is the exact one I purchased.
At the time I purchased it I had not realized that it wasn't an ultrasonic cleaner...which is why I made sure to post the "This machine does not pulse at a given frequency, but instead uses electrical soundwaves to agitate whatever solution(s) are used." portion.

I simply added this to the mix, so people would know of another option, should they have the troubles that I did locating an affordable U-S cleaner (non internet), that still worked. I have no doubts of the ultra-sonic's abilities to best this one, but it was available at the moment...and for me, IMO, it did the job well enough to suit my purposes.

~Be Well!

Has anyone confirmed that the lower wave models also work?

It appears that BaronRocco seems to be pleased with the lower wave model used.

Last edited:

pixiedust

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2011
Nevada
I only use use very hot tap water in my ultrasonic cleaner. I clean everything e-cig related in it that doesn't have electrical components. I find that it will clean virtually any atty or carto it's just that some take several cycles. After I'm satisfied the stuff is clean, the cartos and attys get put in a pie tin in a 200 degree oven for about 40 minutes to dry. Plastic stuff just gets planted on a paper towel until it's dry. Some plastic like empty juice bottles seem to hang on to an odor forever, so for those I pre-soak in hot water with a bit of dawn overnight, rinse vigorously then put them in the ultrasonic cleaner for however many cycles is necessary to get all the odor out

Cat_in_the_Playground

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I purchased a Sonic Wave (Ultrasonic Cleaner) on eBay.
The device works at the 42,000 cycles.
It cleaned out my attys like a wet dream! LOL
Cost was $29 (shipped)...saved me $40 worth of attys on the first day!
If you don't have one...get one!

I got mine from eBay too. Was $26.95 shipped. My original tank attys were not performing, even after a good soak in IPA. A few cycles in my cleaner, and they vape like new! Mine also runs at the 42000 cycles. I saw the one you got, but bought the Bogue one (was a few bucks cheaper). I have a feeling that this under $30 investment will save me lots of money in the future. The only thing I noticed was that when I tried using only water, the smell of any strong juice I had used (like coffee) stuck around. Oddly, the cola was stuck in one. Trying to save the finish, I mixed it 50/50 with PGA. That seemed to help remove those stuck flavors. Many thanks to OP for sharing this!!!!

Cat_in_the_Playground

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm waiting on delivery of a cheapo battery operated model advertised to vibrate 6500 times per minute. $5.54 shipped. :D

I'll report back once I've received it and used it some.
I'd be interested to know how the lower wave models work out of curiosity. I thought someone else posted that they bought one of the smaller battery operated models like that, but that it was a "sonic" cleaner, not an "ultrasonic" cleaner, which, the OP (I believe) said is not the same thing and would not clean like the ultrasonic machines. Was the one you bought sonic or ultrasonic?

Maybe they noticed a run on u/s cleaners and decided to cash in (although doubtful) - who knows ? On eBay, I've noticed that the same seller can have multiple auctions for the same item, yet have them listed at different prices. I figured we were all bidding against each other. I prolly could have scored one for less doing an auction, but I prefer instant gratification (well, as instant as you can get when you have to wait for USPS to finally get it to your house) and didn't want to mess with watching an auction up to the closing point to get my bid in. Even if I could have gotten my unit for a few bucks cheaper, its okay. The amount of $ it will save me over time in attys will make it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread