Update:ny child dies of nicotine poisoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Again, there is no indication that the bottle had a cap on when the child grabbed it. No type of cap could prevent that. Parents/partners could, though.

Absolutely. I should note that the design I refer to also contains a feature that, even with the cap off, will make it almost impossible for a child to drink out of the bottle.

But, to the substance of your point - for sure, parents need to put the top back on, and put the bottle out of the reach of kids. This is why labelling is important, and not just child-resistance features.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
SmokeyJoe:Absolutely. I should note that the design I refer to also contains a feature that, even with the cap off, will make it almost impossible for a child to drink out of the bottle.

Well, that's a cool feature :)

But, to the substance of your point - for sure, parents need to put the top back on, and put the bottle out of the reach of kids. This is why labelling is important, and not just child-resistance features.

Should be the vendor/manufacturers decision, imo.....and the parents should know - which is likely the case here, just that they didn't pay attention. A knife needs no 'warning label'.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Absolutely. I should note that the design I refer to also contains a feature that, even with the cap off, will make it almost impossible for a child to drink out of the bottle.

I would be Interested in seeing More Information about this Design. It sounds Very Unique.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I think it far more likely that the child got ahold of a partial pack of cigarettes and ate them. Children under a certain age like bitter.

Police said the toddler was found unresponsive last Tuesday after ingesting liquid nicotine at a home in Fort Plain, N.Y., and later died in hospital, ABC News reported.

The death is believed to be a “tragic accident,” according to a statement released by Fort Plain police. They did not say whether the liquid nicotine was associated with an e-cigarette

https://ahhsiouxblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/09/children-must-be-watched-and-protected/

jonnychadootz

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
Westchester, NY
Can no longer hold back my opinion :) (I know people have been dying to hear it) (Sarcasm)

So apparently this is some kind of epidemic to where we need legislation? Kids are dropping at an alarming rate due to nicotine ingestion? We as a society are not already aware that nicotine (in certain doses) is poisonous and should be kept away from children? I highly doubt more labeling will alleviate any child deaths as most children aren't reading labels and the people in possession of any potentially poisonous substances should have some type of personal responsibility.

This reminds me much of the case where a woman spilled coffee on herself purchased from McDonald's, then sued them (and won) requiring them to label coffee as "HOT" No ....., cause I would have just been tossing freshly purchased cups of coffee all over myself and other living being's without this woman's crusade. This is just unbelievably stupid.

Here are a few real problems in the US that do not seem to be getting anywhere near as much attention as they should be:

Unemployment
Taxation
Medical Care

:facepalm:

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Can no longer hold back my opinion :) (I know people have been dying to hear it) (Sarcasm)

So apparently this is some kind of epidemic to where we need legislation? Kids are dropping at an alarming rate due to nicotine ingestion? We as a society are not already aware that nicotine (in certain doses) is poisonous and should be kept away from children? I highly doubt more labeling will alleviate any child deaths as most children aren't reading labels and the people in possession of any potentially poisonous substances should have some type of personal responsibility.

This reminds me much of the case where a woman spilled coffee on herself purchased from McDonald's, then sued them (and won) requiring them to label coffee as "HOT" No ....., cause I would have just been tossing freshly purchased cups of coffee all over myself and other living being's without this woman's crusade. This is just unbelievably stupid.

Here are a few real problems in the US that do not seem to be getting anywhere near as much attention as they should be:

Unemployment
Taxation
Medical Care

Fair enough. I take your points completely.

BUT another way of looking at it is with regards to Murphy's law: "if it can happen, it will happen". Millions of bottles of eliquid out there, thousands of parents vaping, one moment's carelessness and a child is dead.

We cannot know if this was due to those in charge of the child being naive to the dangers of nicotine, or due to a momentary lapse of reason and unfortunate series of events, or due to chronic irresponsibility. But look back through this thread and you'll see that at the first inclination many of us have been saying: "well, it can't have been nicotine, the child would have vomited before it was absorbed..." and so forth. Then tell me that this is not the kind of diminishing of the dangers that the parents may have shared? And I'll be honest, my first reaction was skepticism.

Now, the reason I tend to dislike legislation is because it often gets things wrong and adds unnecessary additional costs or burdens. But in this case, I have no problem with child resistant caps AND labelling because in the long-run I think it likely to lead to fewer accidents. But I'd obviously rather the industry did this voluntarily than have it mandated from above.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I believe child resistant packaging legislation was in the works before this story. My house is full of that stuff. All my e liquid has it already including my bulk bottles from ITC. This is a non issue because it's already settled.

The same is true of selling to minors. Since time immemorial no merchant in his right mind sells things to kids if the parents might come in and object. We almost don't need a law for that but whatever. And by the way, cafine is very similar chemically to nicotine and has similar effects and is similarly habit forming so we better make it against the law to sell cafinated beverages to kids.

One more thing, where is the corners report, the death certificate and the police report about this little kid. It's very sad that he died but if that's going to be politicized then show your evidence.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana

Unemployment
Taxation
Medical Care

In regards to the coffee, check out her side of the story on Netflix. I think it's called "hot coffee", and look at the burns that woman suffered. Just look past the hype. There was a real story there.

jonnychadootz

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
Westchester, NY
In regards to the coffee, check out her side of the story on Netflix. I think it's called "hot coffee", and look at the burns that woman suffered. Just look past the hype. There was a real story there.

I'm really trying to see your point in this, I really am :) Btw, I am familiar with the incident and have recapped it.

The way I see it is:

It's coffee, if it didn't burn through the cup, crush in her hand or disintegrate, there is no case....

She was sitting in her car, put the coffee between her knees then spilled it on herself

I'm sorry, but who's fault is that? Would you take water you just made for tea or coffee, put it in a Styrofoam cup, then put it in-between your legs? I don't see how McDonald's is responsible for protecting people from doing rather stupid activities with beverages that are intended to be hot The reason McDonald's made coffee at those temps was because most people tend to transport the item before consumption. When does that become a personal responsibility issue? I don't even like McDonald's, in more ways than 1. At the same time, I just don't see how this was their fault. Especially to the tune of 2.9 million dollars :)

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee

Thank you for bringing my attention to the documentary called "Hot Coffee." I just finished watching it on Amazon Prime. I saw the photos of the burns. Yes, there was a real story there. Not at all like the way it has been presented to the public by media over the years. Very interesting documentary that looked at aspects of our judicial system I had never really thought about.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
To me, it is not farfetched to have opposition (ANTZ) make it mandatory that all eLiquid bottles have childproof caps on them, and then months/years later determine that the materials used in those caps are making eLiquid more harmful and those manufacturers are entirely responsible for the cause of this harm.

I honestly see opposition as being this devious.

Of course this story represents a tragic accident. But it because perverse if this is deemed reason to regulate an industry when some or perhaps all manufacturers are going to reconsider how their bottles are made and adult consumers who happen to have children can then choose accordingly, or not.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
To me, it is not farfetched to have opposition (ANTZ) make it mandatory that all eLiquid bottles have childproof caps on them, and then months/years later determine that the materials used in those caps are making eLiquid more harmful and those manufacturers are entirely responsible for the cause of this harm.

I think you are Kinda reaching here Jman8.

And if OEMs/Retailers are using a Plastic for a Container or Child Resistant Cap that can cause Harm, doesn't that give Validity to the Argument that there should be More Oversight?

And Not Less?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The question is how more oversight an industry can bear before becoming suffocated.

I may remind you that whole industries moved out of US as a result of over regulation. Would you consider investing in a chemical plant in California these days?

If an OEM/Retailer is making a Container or Child Resistant Cap that is made out of a Plastic that is causing Harm, as Jman8 sees as Not Farfetched, is it Suffocating to Require that the OEM/Retailer not use this Plastic?

And use a Plastic that has been Shown to Not Cause such harm.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
McDonald's coffee is way too hot as far as I'm concerned.
I always ask them to add a little ice so I don't have to wait 10 minutes to drink it.

But I'm not sure a warning label fixes anything.
It just helps avoid liability for what stupid people do.

Not saying this woman was stupid though.
If I got burnt like that I'd be suing too.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

But I'm not sure a warning label fixes anything.
It just helps avoid liability for what stupid people do.

Can't the same thing be said about CRP?

It Isn't going to prevent All Poisonings in the USA. But when a Poisoning does occur (from a Substance in a CRP) that the Liability falls more Squarely on the Parent or Person who was Overseeing the Child at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread