Status
Not open for further replies.

VapahMan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
New Jersey
www.magic-vapor.com
I'd love to hear if anyone has any updates on the bills currently being pressed by Linda Rosenthal's bill? A ban of electronic cigarettes by the state of New York would be an outrage.. It's no wonder why the state with the highest tax rate on analog cigarettes is trying to outlaw our new found personal vaporizers. What ticks me off, first, is that there's not much evidence being brought to the table backing a true logical reason to ban the new products. "Sure, we'll continue to allow people to poison their bodies with analogs, which is (proven) a larger factor towards some of the most leading causes of death." According to Tip Top Tens - Top 10 leading causes of death - number one, two three and four are... Heart disease, Cancer, Respiratory infections, and Lung disease. Is it necessary I continue? I understand and agree with letting one make their own choices. I used to smoke analogs, I knew what I was doing and that was my choice. I also know that I was able to kick one of the worst habits (besides an occasional poor diet! :pop: ) present in my life using my personal vaporizer. What's the cause behind the ban? Where's the evidence that this "nicotine delivery system" is more harmful than analog cigarettes? I do hope that this community has come to an understanding that using our personal vaporizers may or may not be healthier alternative than smoking analog cigarettes. This is a fact that is difficult to fight, solely because it has not yet been proven. More enjoyable and potentially less harmful in the long run? Yeah, I'd have to say so. Also, another small issue is who can and will run the tests to confirm these arising questions? You say the FDA? Well they say that they've run "testing which found that users inhale
carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an
ingredient found in antifreeze." Which is not what most of the community encounters today. To me, this sounds like they're trying to push the ladder of all analog smokers away from using a PV. Why? Well that should be pretty simple. How much does the US government make from analog cigarettes? I don't know exactly, but it's a lot.

Don't pass a bill to ban electronic cigarettes because they are are not currently classified as tobacco products and are unregulated. Do what you need to do. Set an appropriate age limit and regulate the product but don't take away a potentially less harmful alternative to tobacco cigarettes. Do your testing and then I think we would have an easier time understanding the bill. That's all. Share your input if you have any.

Who agrees with the bill and who does not?

The following is helpful news from yvilla

""Support S2926/A6667 and Oppose S695-2011/A1468

While Linda Rosenthal's bill that would ban all sales of electronic cigarettes in New York State is still pending in the Assembly Codes Committee, and Senator Klein's identical bill is still pending in the Senate Health Committee, competing bills that would simply ban sales to minors have been introduced in both the Senate and Assembly. These vastly improved proposals, S2926 and A6667, are currently pending in the Senate and Assembly Health Committees.

Here are both sets of bills on the NYS legislative website, so you can see their sponsors, compare their contents, and track their progress: See S2926/A6667 at S2926-2011 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Prohibits the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors - New York State Senate and S695-2011/A1468 at S695-2011 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Prohibits the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors and items not defined as a tobacco product or approved by the FDA as a tobacco use cessation or harm reduction - New York State Senate.

The introduction of these competing bills is very good news for New York State, and we call on all CASAA members and other concerned persons to begin a new round of campaigning in New York, and to join us in calling, writing, faxing, emailing, and meeting in person with legislators in support of S2926/A6667, while at the same time denouncing S695-2011/A1468.

Residents of New York State should definitely meet face-to-face with their own Senator and Assemblyperson to express their support for S2926/A6667's ban on sales to minors, and their strong oppostion to Rosenthal and Klein's misguided attempt to ban sales to adults with S695-2011/A1468.

However, the biggest push right now for anyone who is willing to help, while these bills are all still in committee, should be to contact all the Senate and Assembly Health Committee members with that same message. Additionally, the Assembly Codes Committee members need to be made aware of the newer A6667, and our support for it, as it supplies a cogent reason for them to reject Rosenthal's A1468, even though they themselves do not as of yet have A6667 before them.

Here is the contact list for the Senate Health Committee: http://www.casaa.org/CTA/article.asp?art...153&l=a&p=

Here is the contact list for the Assembly Health committee: http://www.casaa.org/news/article.asp?ar...154&l=a&p=

And here is the contact list for the Assembly Codes committee: http://www.casaa.org/news/article.asp?ar...155&l=a&p=

Finally, here is a pre-written template letter suitable for faxing or mailing. Please consider adding to or modifying its content to personalize the letter. Be sure to insert the Senator or Assemblyperson's name at the beginning, and sign your name at the end. And if you are a New York resident, be sure to include your address: http://www.casaa.org/files/New_York_CTA_...ter(5).doc

(This is from CASAA's Call to Action page for New York, found at CASAA.org=)""

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
New York legislative session is done. The bill to ban sales to adults is dead, as is the bill to ban sales to minors.

There was, however, a piece of legislation passed into law that banned the sale of "vaporizers" (maybe "tobacco vaporizers," not sure off the top of my head how it was phrased) to minors. The bill's sponsor has indicated that it doesn't include e-cigarettes, but some advocates are working to change that attitude.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
New Jersey residents like yourself should send letters to their Assemblymen and Senator encouraging them to introduce a bill to repeal or substantially revise the changes made to the New Jersey Smoke Free Act by A-4227, which banned e-cigarettes wherever smoking is not permitted.

Information here -- http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/legis/182.pdf

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
To me, this sounds like they're trying to push the ladder of all analog smokers away from using a PV.
You definitely got that right.

Why? Well that should be pretty simple. How much does the US government make from analog cigarettes?
Keep reading and hanging around this subforum, there is more to learn.

You'll be surprised to find out that Big Pharma is really our biggest enemy in this fight.
And make no mistake, because a fight is exactly what it is.

You might want to read this for a basic introduction...
The New Corporate America Business Model

Passionate people ready to fight the good fight for their lives is what we need.
We have a number of big and powerful enemies.

VapahMan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
New Jersey
www.magic-vapor.com
New York legislative session is done. The bill to ban sales to adults is dead, as is the bill to ban sales to minors.
That's awesome news, any idea where the "vaporizer" ban can be found?

New Jersey residents like yourself should send letters to their Assemblymen and Senator encouraging them to introduce a bill to repeal or substantially revise the changes made to the New Jersey Smoke Free Act by A-4227, which banned e-cigarettes wherever smoking is not permitted.
I will do, I wonder how many of these letters they need to get before I can start vaping inside again. I hate how… correct me if i'm wrong, we are the only state in which you can't use them inside. It's nuts! But hey! That's New Jersey for ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread