USP Glycerine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derek5L

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Austin, TX
They should make this a sticky because the newbies always ask this question. I'm a pharmacist in PA. I'm going to copy and paste a post I wrote in another subforum:

Go to the skin care aisle of most any pharmacy and you'll find a small(usually 6oz) bottle labled Glycerine, USP(Some pharmacies don't carry outright , but will special order for you). The label may have it listed as CVS Glycerine, USP or Rite Aid Glycerine, USP or Humco Glycerine, USP or Family Pharmacy Glycerine, USP etc.. you get my point. Whatever it's labeled, it's Glycerine, USP 99.5% anhydrous(meaning 0.5% water). It will cost anywhere from $3 to $6 for 6oz.(CHEAP) This is vegetable glycerine, absolutely, positively, no doubt. How do I know this? I'm a pharmacist. All OTCglycerine,USP is made by 1 single manufacturer, HUMCO. It is then contract packaged into the different pharmacy labeled bottles. I've personally called HUMCO and spoke with their QA(quality assurance) person. He assured me that HUMCO's Glycerine is in fact Vegetable source Glycerine. The reason it's labeled Glycerine and not Vegetable Glycerine is because #1 it is listed in the USP as Glycerine, USP and therefore(in order to keep the USP certification) must be labeled as it's listed in the USP. #2 it would cause confusion as Glycerine is Glycerine(regardless of the source - chemically 1,2,3-propane triol also sometimes referred to as Glycerol), to add the moniker VEGETABLE, makes it sound like it's two different and distinct products, it isn't. Also, USP grade Glycerine is the purest you can get. Food Grade "vegetable Glycerine" you get in health food store saying 99.9% is BS. Since they do not have to meet any standard(such as USP standards) they could say anything, they could say 10000% pure. If you get USP grade, you know you are getting exactly what is labeled(within allowable USP limits) and it is made to most stringent requirements available in the US. (i.e. USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia- drugs have meet higher standards then foods do). Kashrut(kosher) laws are Jewish religious dietary laws having to do with the preparation of food products and really have nothing to do with the labeled purity of the product. Also, Kashrut(kosher) laws are jurisdictional(handled differently in different places). In some cases a rabbi must come to the manufacturer and verify processes and equipment conform to kosher law and in some places it's enough that the manufacturer says or thinks he is conforming to the kosher laws. In any case USP and Kosher are 2 different things. There is no such listing in the USP for "Kosher Glycerine". To the people who are feeling naseous using pharmacy bought Glycerine, USP, it may be a placebo effect(thinking your not using the real VG) or you may have a sensitivity to Glycerine(unlikely). But it is not because the Pharmacy bought Glycerine,USP is inferior or NOT Vegetable Glycerine.

------Yeah! What he said.:rolleyes:

SeriousLevity

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
Omaha NE
Thank you Marcarich159,

It is always comforting when experts take the time to outline the intricate nuances that exist as we learn about products that we have not used before.

Would you be so kind as to explain to me / us why there is a need to mix PV and VG? I am new to the forum and would hold in esteem your professional perspective.

Turco Chips

ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2009
Rowlett, TX (DFW area)
I bought a bottle (6 oz. / 177 ml) of usp glycerin from CVS a few minutes ago - mixed a little with my juice...WHAMMO! ....nice cloudy plumes of vapor!

5042814212.jpg

TC

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Thanks so much markarich, for your extended clarification for us all! That should be a sticky.

Next question...to avoid confusing people...how do we refer to it in shorthand? We have Propylene Glycol a.k.a. PG, so it always seemed nice and parallel to use Vegetable Glycerine, a.k.a. VG. But the concept of 'vegetable glycerine USP' is bunk and so calling it 'VG' may confuse newbies.
If it's just Glycerine USP, though... GUSP?
(Frankly, calling it 'G' doesn't sit right... c'mon, anything known by a single letter is a drug reference.)

Am I overthinking this?

Eh, it'll keep getting called VG anyway.

Last edited:

Mimi78

Dec 21, 2009
MA
There is a lot of confusion here and hopefully, I can help clear it up.

1) Glycerin is a byproduct of soap. It is created when fats (either animal fat or fats from vegetable oils) are mixed with Sodium Hydroxide (a.k.a. Lye). Most soap and the resulting glycerin are made from animal fat (tallow). Glycerin made from 100% vegetable soap (or soap made with 100% of any plant oil) is less frequently made. There is also a synthetic glycerin made out of a petrochemical. So, there is a reason why the term "vegetable" glycerin is used. It is to differentiate between the three.

2) Gycerin and Glycerine are the same thing.

3) Glycerin is a humectant. It pulls moisture from the air to...where ever you apply it. (skin, hair) It is moisturizing to the skin and hair and works as a great detangler for the hair. (Generally, any hair conditioner, whether leave-in or wash out, that has the highest amount of glycerin, has the best slip to it.)

Frostmonkey

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
Joliet, IL
The facts of glycerin should deserve a sticky somewhere. I'd think under the DIY sub-forum but I'll post this again here only because I've literally received 58 emails to date regarding my post. I believe my email is listed on my profile but atm i'm too lazy too check :lol:. Much better to PM me.

Oh, and someone please help me add to this list. A co-worker just gave me quite a few names for this in Mandarin but even he did not know the exact translations in English for some names used for glycerin.

And sorry to reiterate, sometimes I have trouble finding my own posts on this forum :p

*Again, a post I've made before. Many found this post helpful and I recieved a lot of feedback so I figured I'd move this one over too

-USP Glycerol = USP Glycerin = Safe to vape regardless of any other label but on the bottle (i.e. kosher, organic, vegetable, animal, 100%, etc.)

-Many companies decide to put all kinds of crazy labels on bottles such as "Organic" and "Kosher", but If the product is not labeled and certified by reputable organizations such as the FDA (HA!!!), USP, EHEDG, EFSA, SFDAC (don't really know about this last one...) etc... that label cannot be trusted

-Synonyms of / Relations to (i.e. other words that are used to represent the molecular structure of C3H5(OH)3)
1,2, 3-Trihydroxypropane
1,2,3-Propanetriol
1,2,3-PROPANETRIOL, HOMOPOLYMER
1,2,3-Trihydroxypropane
1,2,3-trihydroxypropanol
2-TRIFLUOROMETHYL-5-METHYLENE-5H-PYRIMIDIN-4-YLIDENEAMINE
4-IMINO-5-METHIDYL-2-TRIFLUOROMETHYLPYRIMIDINE
90 Technical glycerine
Aci-jel
Bulbold
C00116
c0066
Citifluor AF 2
Clyzerin, wasserfrei
Clyzerin, wasserfrei [German]
Cristal
CRY
D-glycerol
D00028
Dagralax
From Cryoprotectant
From Cryoprotectant.
Glicerina [DCIT]
Glicerol [INN-Spanish]
Glyceol
Glycerin
Glycerin (anhydrous)
Glycerin (JP14/USP)
Glycerin (mist)
Glycerin mist
Glycerin [JAN]
Glycerin, anhydrous
Glycerin, natural
Glycerin, synthetic
Glycerine
Glycerine mist
Glycerinum
Glyceritol
Glycerol
Glycerol From Cryoprotect
Glycerol polymer
Glycerol, polymers
Glycerolum [INN-Latin]
Glycyl Alcohol
Glycylalcohol
Glyrol
Glysanin
GOL
Gol -Glycerol From Cryoprotectant
GRO
Grocolene
HL 80
IFP
Incorporation factor
L-glycerol
LS-1377
MolMap_000024
Moon
Ophthalgan
Optim
Osmoglyn
PGL 300
PGL 500
PGL 700
Polyglycerin
Polyglycerine
Polyglycerol
Polyhydric alcohols
PROPANE-1,2,3-TRIOL
Propanetriol
Propanetriol (VAN)
Star
Synthetic glycerin
Synthetic glycerine
Tegin M
Trihydroxypropane
Unigly G 2
Unigly G 6
Vitrosupos

-In foods, beverages, and many other commercially prepared products Glycerol is used as a humectant, sweetener, solvent, preservative, and thickener. It is used for many other things and new uses for Glycerol are still being found.

-Incompatibilities:
Chromium trioxide
Potassium chlorate
Potassium permanganate
Strong oxidizers

-Again, sorry for the extremely long post. The incompatibilities listed do not generally have to be worried about by the typical vaper. Hope this clears things up for those who couldn't find the appropriate posts, as this has been extensively discussed by others way more qualified than myself...

References:

Chemical Database: Glycerol (EnvironmentalChemistry.com)
The United States Pharmacopeial Convention Many pages within this site contain great info on glycerol
Glycerol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GLYCEROL
Carey, Francis A., and Richard J. Sundburg. Advanced Organic Chemistry: Part B: Reactions and Synthesis. Fifth ed. B. Verlag New York: Springer, 2007. Print.

Last edited:

Mimi78

Dec 21, 2009
MA
But what vegetables is it derived from. For example a lot of people are allergic to peanuts which aren't nuts but legumes. And other people are allergic to certain veggies. It would be helpfull to know what it is processed from or if it's just a mish mash of different things.

It is my understanding that the process of saponification (the chemical process in which fat and lye turn into soap) changes the fat into a completely different thing. So, if say peanut oil was used (which, as far as I know, peanut oil is generally not used to make soap as there are no skin benefits that I am aware of.) the chemical properties of the oil would change during the saponification process and it would really be peanut oil anymore. That's why when you see Olive Oil soap or any kind of specialty plant/fruit/nut oil soap, they always add extra oil during the soap making process in order to retain the oil's beneficial properties. It's called superfatting the soap. But basic vegetable glycerine is not from superfatted soap. So, it is just glycerine. It has it's own chemical make-up.

Turco Chips

ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2009
Rowlett, TX (DFW area)
No offense mimi, but i think you may have confused things a bit regarding some of what has already been posted.

I did verify that HUMCO does in fact distribute their Glycerin, USP to Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid and Walmart. These will either be "HUMCO" branded or branded as "CVS Glycerin, USP" or the other strore's brand. It is merely the HUMCO product in a bottle with the store's name on it.

I also confirmed with HUMCO that it is indeed VEGETABLE glycerin, as markarich159 pointed out quite well.

Here the email I sent and the reply received from HUMCO Vice President of Sales and Marketing:

My email:

Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 12:24 AM
To: Alan Fyke
Subject: Automated Contact Submission From Humco

I have a question regarding your Glycerin, USP product.

I have been told that you supply CVS with their packaged (CVS brand) glycerin, usp. I'm not sure if you can confirm that or not, but my real question is this: Is your glycerin, usp vegetable based?

Thanks for your time!

HUMCO reponse:

Our glycerin is vegetable based and we do supply CVS with their brand of glycerin, USP.

Thanks,

Alan

This really should take care of the debate......

TC

Pamster

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Last edited:

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
When I checked it for a gallon, shipping was about $16.00. If you put what you want in your shopping cart and proceed to checkout, you can get it to calculate your shipping there.

EDIT: I went and double checked and it was $15.27 via UPS, bringing the total to 26.27 for a gallon. It would be $11.97 shipping for the 16 ounce bottle.

Last edited:

tonna11

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2010
USA
Too funny!!! I am expecting my starter kit today, and have a serious case of the newbie jitters, LOL! So I go to the pharmacy, and they didnt have any glycerin, its a family pharmacy. So I went to Rite Aid and found some. Not knowing if it was vegetable or not, I scurry home to google it--and this exact thread popped up in the first few choices, LOL!!! You guys are awesome, every time I have a question, it leads me back here to the experts! Its amazing that its the exact same bottle posted in this thread!

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
I have yet to find glycerine at any walmart. Ukrops ordered me some. I like to get the 50ml Walton's Brand USP Grade Glycerine at Benjamin Franklin Hobby for less than 3 dollars.

All Walmart stores have Humco Glycerin USP. You can find it on the shelf above the rubbing alcohol products in the pharmacy section. It's $3 for a 6-ounce (177mL) bottle. I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post exactly where to find it in Walmart, since it took me a while to find it when I first looked.

It's also at Meijer on the shelf above the rubbing alcohol products, except they charge about 25 cents more for the same bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread