Vain before and after surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
I would say, like most of vaping, that we have no idea. It also might vary from person to person.

You might be calmer if you vape. There might be something in vapor that interacts with the anesthesia, it might even make it better, or worse. Is jonesing for nic better than being calm and having nic? Will you be paying attention to your mod and get hit by a beer truck on the way to the hospital? Will those extra seconds spent vaping get you to the cross walk just after the beer truck passes?

TheRac25

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
The tax farm known as USA.
I believe nicotine affects blood clotting.

Looks like the immediate concerns for surgery and T use are increased clotting, low blood oxygen levels and increased heart rate.
I wont get into post surgery recovery complications of which I feel do not concern vapers, at least not nearly as much as they do T users.

"Chemicals in cigarette smoke make your blood thicker, stickier and more likely to clot."
-I have noticed that my blood is thinner and I bleed more freely after discontinuing T use, I don't see nicotine as the cause, this doesn't mean nicotine or vaping has 0 effect on blood viscosity but it seems to me that its something else in T smoke causing this. I don't believe this applies to a vaper who doesn't use tobacco.

"Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke competes with the oxygen in your blood."
-Here the concern is CO taking the place of O in the blood, I'm not aware that this is found in vapor so again I would say, I don't believe this would apply to a vaper who doesn't use tobacco. On the other hand I don't know how or if vaping effects oxygen levels in the blood.

"Nicotine in cigarette smoke increase your heart rate and blood pressure, making your heart work harder so that it needs more oxygen."
-How much of an effect there is i cant say, I would surmise that a large portion of the heart-rate increase seen in smoking is due to lowered blood oxygen, that is not to say nicotine doesn't have an effect but I feel that the impact of nicotine alone may be overstated. How does the cortisol (stress hormone) rise from not having your "nic fix" weigh against the caffeine like effects of nicotine in a cost benefit analysis? I suspect this is the least concern among the reasons given as surgery risks but i would consult my doctor on it and ask him/her to elaborate and advise on cortisol/nicotine/risk/benefit equation. If they are not able to do this then I wouldn't want this person cutting me open.

Again speak with your doctor, I may have neglected to cover something relevant and sorry for my horrible use of English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread