Vape store guy: Mech mods are dying out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Then you must not be observing the same e-cig market as i am.

Yeah, phooey on the market, it's a fad being catered to, that's all. I remember when all the makers of sun glasses all thought we each looked our very best in alien sunglasses and you could not get any other kind. That fad passed, thank God.

For my part I just don't like boxes, and I don't want electronics in my vape and I know I'm not alone in that. I get the vape I want through they way I build my atty. To me it looks like the TC boxes are for those who, for reasons of laziness, inability, or limited native intelligence, cannot build an atty right.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Yeah, phooey on the market, it's a fad being catered to, that's all. I remember when all the makers of sun glasses all thought we each looked our very best in alien sunglasses and you could not get any other kind. That fad passed, thank God.

For my part I just don't like boxes, and I don't want electronics in my vape and I know I'm not alone in that. I get the vape I want through they way I build my atty. To me it looks like the TC boxes are for those who, for reasons of laziness, inability, or limited native intelligence, cannot build an atty right.

FWIW i remember you from when you were much more active and your attitude still leaves a lot to be desired.

You are surrounded by electronics in nearly every single facet of your daily life (unless you live under a rock), it seems very odd you would have an irrational fear of them inside your e-cig.

Since you seem to be unable to interact with those around you without using an insulting derogatory tone in your posts, i'm going to go ahead and move on.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Got an eVic still here. Won't do anything below 1.0 ohms. Newer mods can handle subohming too, so the need to get a mech for that is indeed dwindling.
But when I see what kind of money is changing hands nowadays for vintage cars, I'd hold on to them :)
A few years down the road mech mods could become collectibles as well...
Especially in locales where the powers that be are getting away with their idiot regs...

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden

I agree with you, except the bolded part.
Everyone who vapes got their own taste or how i should say it.
Not everyone likes to rebuild or might have a disability to do so. So the bolded part comes of like you're mocking those who might have issues with this part.

But a mech is pretty much fail-proof. And they're easy to maintain that's why i like em so much. And they will last much longer than regulated, which is a good thing due our EU directive that will prolly go online around 2016.

For me it's the form factor, portability and the looks.
A mech looks so much better than 99% of the boxmods IMO and the regulated tube mods are well...

But the main reason why i love mechs are just due the fact they will always work and they're realy sturdy.

Edit:

Got an eVic still here. Won't do anything below 1.0 ohms. Newer mods can handle subohming too, so the need to get a mech for that is indeed dwindling.
But when I see what kind of money is changing hands nowadays for vintage cars, I'd hold on to them :)
A few years down the road mech mods could become collectibles as well...
Especially in locales where the powers that be are getting away with their idiot regs...

I think the mechs will outlast regulateds tbh. Especially if the gov gets their heavy regulations through. (Might differ per country ofc.)

But you can't ban a "flashlight" which is what a mech essentially is. :)
What i mean by this is that i think mechs will always be here, so the collectability status will probably take a looong while. Unless we count the several limited editions that are out atm, some of those already have that status. :)

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Roxy, I don't think that's a good measure.
Like a lot of people here,
I'm not a verified PayPal victim...errr member, so I can't even see the classies. ( I won't link PayPal to my bank account, however I do use them to buy things).

To bad that's the only way in.

Otherwise I would probably have a lot more mechs.
;)

If 3 members will vouch for you, they will verify you. You'll still need PP to pay people unless they let you send a MO or something. I'm sure people would. I've accepted them.

Maybe they are not turning up in the classifieds because people are holding onto them.

No, plenty up for sale all the time for amazing prices. Many have gone to regulated mods. You can really clean up right now on mechs :)

I'm using tc, but I'm not planning to get rid of any of my mechs or vw mods that only use kanthal. I can see myself eventually over a number of years replacing old mods with the newest tech as they die, but as long as they're working for me I'm happy with them. I'm also sure I'll continue collecting mechs as they aren't going to croak on me :)

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
If 3 members will vouch for you, they will verify you. You'll still need PP to pay people unless they let you send a MO or something. I'm sure people would. I've accepted them.

:)

You don't need a paypal account to make a payment, or to buy something.

You only need the account to accept payment.

I don't sell mods, I buy them.
:D

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I was in a BM last week and was told by the 20 something , cloud blowing counter monkey that squonkers , referring to the Reo Woodville in my hands , are out of fashion . I told him he must've mistook me for somebody that gives a rat's azz to begin with . No response to that and no sale for the counter monkey either . :)

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Just figgered I'd add a little background color to my above post . I'm a 55 year old , gun totin , long haired , Harley riding redneck with a zztop beard , wonder what made the counter monkey think I'd be interested in fashion LOL ! Kinda made me wanna squonk his head , same feeling I get every time I see a mechs are dead post . :)

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
As far as I'm concerned, those that want them can have all the hundred dollar plus electronic mods they can carry and I hope they enjoy them...

As for me, I like Mechs and will continue to use them.

Currently vaping some home brewed Krunch in a Lemo2 with a .3 Nichrome 80 coil on a Stingray X--and enjoying every pull ;)

Vape on!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Just figgered I'd add a little background color to my above post . I'm a 55 year old , gun totin , long haired , Harley riding redneck with a zztop beard , wonder what made the counter monkey think I'd be interested in fashion LOL ! Kinda made me wanna squonk his head , same feeling I get every time I see a mechs are dead post . :)

I was admiring your new avatar. :D ;)

Andria

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Got juice?
image.jpg

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
The part about batteries makes no sense, if you put the same build on a regulated box, and push it at the same wattage as the mech calculates out to there should be no more than 2-4% difference, if that, due to chip efficiency loss.

Okay,
Which regulated mod will fire this quad coil .20 ohm atty all day without changing batteries?
image.jpg

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
I was admiring your new avatar. :D ;)

Andria
remember when the rebel flag was a sign of rebellion against authority and hippies wore it on their jeans? there will always be a market for cheap and reliable products.my local vape shop only caters to cloud chasers and sell a lot of mechanical. they can however order a regulated mod for you in you really want one:lol:

Reactions: retic1959

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The thread title refers to a vape store commenting that mechanicals are dying out, which they are obviously not.

The vape experience is a personal one.
Different tastes for different people.

While a Regulated device can absolutely deliver the thick rich vapor I enjoy, when set correctly it drains batteries much faster than my dual 18650 mechanical. I'd be swapping Batteries every few hours, instead of once a day.
;)

taken it context they mean from a sales point of view

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
At the end of the day tubular mechs will continue to be made, very artistically in many cases, and we who use them and love them will continue to buy them regardless of the current market craze. Fans of electronic box mods can fantasize all they like about them becoming extinct, as though they relish that idea, but what's really behind that? It's like some kind of my dad can beat up your dad trip, or, "we will bury you!" My thing is better than your thing is nothing more than an ego trip. What's the point of that? I suppose it affords them a cheap feeling of superiority. Not something I have any respect for.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I agree with you, except the bolded part.
Everyone who vapes got their own taste or how i should say it.
Not everyone likes to rebuild or might have a disability to do so. So the bolded part comes of like you're mocking those who might have issues with this part.

Well I said that because of certain vapers who have felt compelled to bash mechs and gennies all up and down just because they can't build a genny or even roll a mesh wick. They throw the baby out with the bathwater and publicly trash the whole thing as one prominent reviewer on YouTube has done, because he can't manage to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread