Vape store guy: Mech mods are dying out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I stopped in for a social call at the local vape store and during the course of my visit the guy behind the counter matter of factly told me, "mech mods are dying out anyway...." This begged the question of why they had a case full of mech clones, and so few of the box mods he was so enamored of. There does, however, seem to be a full-on temp control box mod craze going on out there. Not that I'd ever opt into that nonsense. So is this just one guy's wishful thinking, or are mechs really fading from the market?

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
They definitly are fading. But I still love them and they are all I use, except for a few unregulated boxes. I am enamoured with mechs, as are a good amount of other vapers. But the regulated boxes are whats hip right now. They are quickly taking over and are clearly more popular. But there will always be a market for mechs. And I will always include myself in that market, however small.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Lmao.
In a word, no they aren't.

B&Ms cater mostly to beginning vapers.

The new breed of regulated entry level devices has grown giving vapers more options once they outgrow an EGO.

Mechanicals don't just stop working.
Regulated electronic devices eventually do.

Eventually most iStick users will grow tired of replacing their entire unit every few years/months and realize there is a better, cheaper, more permanent option.

Mechanicals will never fade away, In fact they will be going strong long after the last TC device on earth fails.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Lmao.
In a word, no they aren't.

B&Ms cater mostly to beginning vapers.

The new breed of regulated entry level devices has grown giving vapers more options once they outgrow an EGO.

Mechanicals don't just stop working.
Regulated electronic devices eventually do.

Eventually most iStick users will grow tired of replacing their entire unit every few years/months and realize there is a better, cheaper, more permanent option.

Mechanicals will never fade away, In fact they will be going strong long after the last TC device on earth fails.
I agree that they won't go away, but I would also be willing to bet that anyone who starts vaping today has a good chance of never using a mech, even if he/she continues to vape for the rest of his life. The market for mechs is smaller now than it used to be. That doesn't mean it will ever go away, just that we will soon be a minority.

Reactions: YoursTruli

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I agree that they won't go away, but I would also be willing to bet that anyone who starts vaping today has a good chance of never using a mech, even if he/she continues to vape for the rest of his life. The market for mechs is smaller now than it used to be. That doesn't mean it will ever go away, just that we will soon be a minority.

I think most users will eventually graduate to a mechanical.
After a few fried chips, dead boards, un chargeable built in batteries, and death-drops, the anvil-like durability of a mechanical starts to look better and better.

Just like replaceable coils, eventually most people end up with a spool of kanthal and a rebuildable deck.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
I like to compare Mech mods to Standard transmission cars, there are those still that seek out and prefer to drive a standard shift car, because the experience feels more connected and they're more efficient with less complicated electrical components to go wrong, driving an automatic is immensely boring to me, which is how I imagine VV/VW/TC must be.

Though, you could also compare mech mods to the old rotary dial phones, yes there may be new and advanced technology out there but my grandparents still have a working rotary dial phone from the 60's, and it's their only phone in the house. Does it work? yeah it sure does, does it take a little longer to dial the number? Sure...but it has reliably worked for over 40 years... do you know how many cellphones it would take to reliably last 40 years...

Mechanicals may never be the most popular, but they will ALWAYS have a following. You pick them up and they work, no waiting for a screen to come on to check specs, no fancy buttons or circuit boards and the form factor is the smallest for 18650 battery size.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Yes they are a dying breed. I keep 5 around just in case though...

I have 2, just in case the sky falls (FDA) -- both have Kicks, and I recently stocked up on 3 extra Kicks, in case the first two die -- because I don't ever again want to vape "unregulated"; I want 9-10 watts, all the time, no matter the state of the battery's charge.

Andria

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Sure is fashionable to take jabs at TC these days isn't it?

Broader market wise, mechs are dead, usage wise, they'll be around for awhile, no faulty analogies or wishful thinking will change that fact.

"Well sir, a horse buggy is far more reliable than an automobile, its much more controllable, and everyone who buys an automobile will surely eventually end up with a horse buggy" - Your friendly buggy-whip salesman.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
They are definitely dying out judging from our classified sales here. I don't see myself ever not using them though. I have 13 tubes and 1 Reo.

Roxy, I don't think that's a good measure.
Like a lot of people here,
I'm not a verified PayPal victim...errr member, so I can't even see the classies. ( I won't link PayPal to my bank account, however I do use them to buy things).

To bad that's the only way in.

Otherwise I would probably have a lot more mechs.
;)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I've honestly never tried a mod with Temp control, blue tooth, or anything beyond VV/VW.

TC could be the Bee's Knees for all I know. I don't feel it's an option I would personally benefit from.

I thought that for a while, since I vape at 9-10 watts with coils about 1.5-1.8 ohms... but I recently fell in love with Achilles RDAs, which don't have a clear tank option.. and though 2-2.5ml is a lot more than most RDAs hold, it's a lot less than the Kayfuns I'm used to; when I read about TC mods preventing dry hits from running out of juice, I thought, that's just what I need for these Achilles -- it will let me know when I need juice, so I don't have to check it every hour to see if it needs a refill -- and usually find, it doesn't.

So I'll be getting an Evic-VT as soon as the budget permits.

Andria

Reactions: Kprthevapr

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
I've honestly never tried a mod with Temp control, blue tooth, or anything beyond VV/VW.

TC could be the Bee's Knees for all I know. I don't feel it's an option I would personally benefit from.

That's the root of the problem, honestly all i care about is whether the person is enjoying their vape/not smoking, not what set-up their using.

But it seems that most of the people saying TC is a "gimmick" or beating the "i don't get dry hits anyway" dead-horse are people who have never even tried the technology. I'd estimate that 80% of those who have actively tried a TC chip will NEVER vape a non-TC set-up EVER again, me included. The consistency of the vape/temp/and flavor is second to none, and as the chips advance it will only get better.

Customizability? (is that a word lol) The new generations of TC chips take customizing your vape to the absolute bleeding edge. The impending DNA200 is so ridiculously customizable they had to build a voice narrated trainer to teach you the features. Now is that simple? No, but it will vape normally right out of the box, and for those that want to change every tiny variable (and i mean tiny) the option is there.

TC is the future and the moves in the market/by the big manufacturers reflect that.

Reactions: AndriaD

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
The thread title refers to a vape store commenting that mechanicals are dying out, which they are obviously not.

The vape experience is a personal one.
Different tastes for different people.

While a Regulated device can absolutely deliver the thick rich vapor I enjoy, when set correctly it drains batteries much faster than my dual 18650 mechanical. I'd be swapping Batteries every few hours, instead of once a day.
;)

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Yeah, well they can keep their TC chips, I'll never use one of those mods. I like what I have in tube mechs and that's what I'm sticking with. I don't care at all for those boxes with buttons and displays on them. Obviously they have their enthusiasts, but I'll never be one of them. I never did fit in with the herd, and don't even care to try. To my mind a Poldiac beats those gizmos hands down. If the kids want to play with those toys let them.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Mechs may be on the wane, but will never die out. What made me cackle like a Bond villain, is that Vape shops are in the fact the dying breed, not mechs.

No Mr Neckbeard, I expect YOU to die....

Ai5tMZp.jpg

I have a collection of both regulated devices and mechs, and love them both for different reason and depending on what mood I'm in. I know mechs are to some extent an anachronism, but that's part of what I love about them. They have a low-tech steam punk kind of feel about them, and the form factor is really hard to beat especially when on the move. A high powered box mod will not fit comfortably in your pocket, if at all.

Last edited:

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
The thread title refers to a vape store commenting that mechanicals are dying out, which they are obviously not.

The vape experience is a personal one.
Different tastes for different people.

While a Regulated device can absolutely deliver the thick rich vapor I enjoy, when set correctly it drains batteries much faster than my dual 18650 mechanical. I'd be swapping Batteries every few hours, instead of once a day.
;)

Then you must not be observing the same e-cig market as i am.

Count the number of mech threads/recommendations 1 year ago vs today, those numbers should show how strong the mech market is.

The part about batteries makes no sense, if you put the same build on a regulated box, and push it at the same wattage as the mech calculates out to there should be no more than 2-4% difference, if that, due to chip efficiency loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread