vapeing and getting verble abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
hi i was in the pup the other day vapeing while smokers whre outside and this guy came up to me and said thats worse ten smoking i did ntb say nougt as i was shocked beond belife what would uses have done let me know soz about spelling

I've had people tell me the same thing a few times now.
Depending on the mood I'm in will determine how I respond. But the last time someone told me that I told them flat out that he was wrong and that he should do some research before spouting off about something he didn't know anything about. I think it shocked him a bit because he didn't say anything else to me about it and just walked away.
Other times I will just chuckle at the person who said it and that's all I do.

It can sometimes be hard knowing how to respond to ignorance and stupidity. So sometimes not saying anything is the only thing to do. imo

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I would ask him how he knew, because the reality is that there is not one study that shows this to be worse than smoking. There are many indicating that they are better (most by a lot).

If he backs off, fine. If he doesn't, then tell him that he really should get on the news, because what he's saying has never been proven before. He could be the first to break the story, be a hero, and personally save the world.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
If vaping in a pub is against the law in your area it might be a good idea to refrain from doing it unless you are looking for confrontation. Actually, most of the science is now showing that vaping is much less of a risk to health than smoking tobacco. There are many reasons why this is true. Here are a couple for you...

-The nicotine used in e-cigarettes will not cause cancer. It is the same nicotine that is used in nicotine gum.
-It is the tars and resins produced by tobacco smoke that kills people, not the nicotine.
-Smoking tobacco produces carbon monoxide that reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood. Vaping at safe power levels does not burn anything and does not produce carbon monoxide.
-E-liquid does not contain harmful additives used in cigarettes.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
I've been accosted as well. The problem with arguing it is that the person usually believes whatever "facts" they were told, and no amount of reciting the real facts sways them. If anything, they become even more aggressive because I clearly don't know what I'm talking about, I'm misinformed, and putting those around me in danger from my secondhand vape. It's scary sometimes because in america, people just can't accept that what Fox news or CNN told them isn't 100% true. They cannot accept that they fell victim to propaganda. These are the same people who become rageaholics when political or religious discussions happen.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
hi i was in the pup the other day vapeing while smokers whre outside and this guy came up to me and said thats worse ten smoking i did ntb say nougt as i was shocked beond belife what would uses have done let me know soz about spelling

I have Only had one Person pull a Rant Like that on Me.

I let them go On and On without saying anything until they kinda Ran Out of Steam. Then I raised my PV to my mouth and told them...

"Thank you ever so much for Telling me All That. I can see that you are Quite Concerned about what Other People Choose to put into their Lungs."

Then I took a Large Hit and Walked Away.

JayQC

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
Canada
I wouldn't call that verbal abuse, merely ignorance.

To which the best response is a good laugh.

But get this :

Today, someone who works right next to me told me she doesn't feel too well these days and she also told me it might be because of my vape. I'm not making this up. I take a couple EVOD drags every hour or so. She told me "nah it's fine I'll just go work in that unused office over there."

***I told her many times in the past that if it bothered her then she could just tell me and I'd stop. Everytime, she told me it was fine and that the smell reminded her of some herbal teas.***

So I insisted. "No really, I'll just stop and go outside it's no big deal that's why I asked you so many times in the past."

"No no, it's all good I'll be over there if you need me."

To me, that's hilarious. I'll go out of my way to not bother anyone and I've been in some pretty heated arguments here concerning aggressive public chauvinism and passive-aggressive responses to snarky street comments. It's obvious that my vape isn't the problem unless she's got a very acute allergy to PG or VG, but the fact that she won't take her place in life is basically an invitation to walk all over her and just avoid giving a damn about her well being.

I will, of course, vape outside from now on, but it's mind boggling that someone has the nerve to tell me they think I'm hurting them, but still won't put a foot down to obtain the respect they deserve when I hand it over to them on a silver platter. She would rather crawl into a hole instead of taking her seat and simply saying "Thanks, I appreciate it."

There are a lot of threads about the BS you hear everyday, but the truth is people are scared of everything. They are even scared of telling others to avoid doing something because they think it's causing them harm. That is extremely sad!

Some react passively and move away, others react aggressively and walk up to vapers to rant.

Towmotor

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
Welland
A co-worker once complained about the smell of a particular tobacco flavor I was using, tho he does not object to my vaping in general. The following day I came to work with a different juice...problem solved. Weeks later I absent mindedly loaded my tank with the offending flavor and came to the office. A discussion about vaping began that day with the same co worker announcing that the juice I was using was one that he really liked the smell of..."nothing like the horrible odour from your old stuff".
Now I vape whatever flavor I feel like.

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida

The reply should be "And I care about your opinion because why?????"
Or
"You felt the need to tell me, a total stranger, that because why???"

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I was visiting my grandma the other day and was vaping while I walked up to her and she said "Why are you using that thing? They blow up and aren't good for you." So I had a choice, try to convince my stubborn grandma vaping is ok or take another tactic. So I punched her in the throat. The thing with grandma is, if you don't take her out in one shot, she gets really mad. So she picks up a iron from the fireplace and chased me all over her house. For an old woman who got punched in the throat, she can really move fast (She was a nurse in the Army). When I woke up from the beating, I explained to grandma that it's just vapor. Then she made me a chocolate cream pie but she put Exlax in it while I wasn't looking. I've had volcanic ........ ever since.

Last edited:

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
I will, of course, vape outside from now on, but it's mind boggling that someone has the nerve to tell me they think I'm hurting them, but still won't put a foot down to obtain the respect they deserve when I hand it over to them on a silver platter. She would rather crawl into a hole instead of taking her seat and simply saying "Thanks, I appreciate it."

There are a lot of threads about the BS you hear everyday, but the truth is people are scared of everything. They are even scared of telling others to avoid doing something because they think it's causing them harm. That is extremely sad!

Some react passively and move away, others react aggressively and walk up to vapers to rant.

Based on the info you've given, I'd be more inclined to believe she is hoping that by moving she will attract the attention of a supervisor who will then make a rule about vaping in the designated smoking area only. From my experience there are 2 types of people. There are those who will rant about something & there are those who will quietly manipulate their environment in a way that draws attention to the thing they WANT to rant about. The latter are not nearly as "sad" as you might believe as they are the ones who will affect change.

JayQC

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
Canada
Based on the info you've given, I'd be more inclined to believe she is hoping that by moving she will attract the attention of a supervisor who will then make a rule about vaping in the designated smoking area only. From my experience there are 2 types of people. There are those who will rant about something & there are those who will quietly manipulate their environment in a way that draws attention to the thing they WANT to rant about. The latter are not nearly as "sad" as you might believe as they are the ones who will affect change.
I've known her for 5 years. The only thing she's manipulating is herself. She's sitting at her desk right now, 4 feet away from me, and will probably be from now on.

I know people like you describe. It's called hypocrisy, she's just weak I think but whatevs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread