Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshVapour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
wales, UK
Hiya all..

Today, I saw an occurrence I'm seeing more and more of lately, while waiting for a bus back home a guy next to me pulled a vision spinner and proceeded to vape.
Being a vaper myself, naturally, I wasn't fazed.

A lady just outside the somewhat enclosed area of the station, who was smoking, took it upon herself to finish that disgusting stinky and as she came passed the guy made this comment "you're using those too huh? they should be banned, worse than cigarettes I hear" he asked if she'd tried and she said no. This fella obviously has had this conversation many times and said nothing.

But the occurrence I'm talking about here is, her negative view of vaping, though a smoker caused a chain of disapproving murmurs at this guy next to me. I know it can be argued that it's an enclosed sort of area and maybe out of common courtesy he could have stepped outside to vape, but we're not talking huge clouds here, it was discreet and well respectful. I worry lately that the view on vaping by smokers who won't for god knows what reason try vaping are reinforcing general public negativity of what we do.

It seems to me that everyday we're coming up against more and more enemies against vaping and when you add die hard smokers to BP,BT and the government as well as uninformed Joe public, I struggle to see how we can effect any outcome.

It won't stop me fighting with all of you of course to make sure our right to vape is kept intact but it's just so disheartening to see that while we grow in number so do they.

wonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
USA
..I struggle to see how we can effect any outcome...

It takes time and education. Nothing happens overnight or as fast as we would like it to.

Those "disgusting stinks" you refer to were once smoked by TV personalities on-camera with endorsements from medical doctors. And people were proclaiming second-hand smoke to be a myth.

Don't worry, now that BT is on-board with ecigs, we are good to go.

WelshVapour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
wales, UK
hey! hack hack gag cough cough, those E things will kill ya hack hack hack.

lol that my reply anymore

I almost wish she was hacking and spluttering as she said it, I like to think my sarcastic mind would have been too quick for me to stop as I'd have said "says the woman coughing tar over everyone".

Although, I'm sure she'd have just seen me as a sanctimonious, preachy, ex smoker, which I try not to be.
Her decision, but the fact she attacked someone elses decision to do what he wants, makes her no better I suppose.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
Was vaping at work last night, outside of course. Co-worker who was smoking said "Did you hear about those things exploding???"

I proceeded to tell him that they're the same batteries in cell phones, you need to use the correct chargers, and don't leave them in direct sunlight, yadda yadda.

Not the point. The point is that generally, vaping has incurred a negative association by product of ignorance. People fear and distrust what they do not know. Die hard smokers will look at you skeptically because they have no basis for comparison.

It's like shopping for a new juice, from a new vendor. You usually can't help but point fingers and say "Hmmm... I don't really know. I don't trust it.

Human nature is human nature. As long as I can buy juice online, I could care less :evil:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
But the occurrence I'm talking about here is, her negative view of vaping, though a smoker caused a chain of disapproving murmurs at this guy next to me.

Herd mentality. It'll be with us as long as there are sheeple on the planet.

My canned response to smokers who play the "Those things'll kill you" gambit: "Maybe, but I'll be alive to go to your funeral."

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
True... And people once thought the world was flat lol. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall during that conversation.

A friend of mine who smokes said something similar to me the other day. I just told him that is untrue and to not believe the BS in the media and left it at that. He smirked at me like I was fooling myself. I will not preach on deaf ears anymore. I know how I feel and my health is better for it. My sense of taste and smell is incredible now. I have three tanks going always.... love this stuff.

Technohydra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
Nebraska, USA
This is the same thing I used to do when I was solely a smoker. I got hostile any time I saw someone buy the gum and look even a little less than miserable about it. There are two things at work here; the desire to validate her choice of smoking as the right one in her eyes, and the desire to keep you from taking her choice away from her.

Basically, a lot of smokers feel like we are judging them and trying to make them come ove to our side. They see people who could threaten what they love and cling to by making a different an possibly more acceptable choice. Humans are such creatures of habit. You could have the most ...... up, broken down, holes in the roof and floor, no doors trailer in the ....tiest part of where you live, but you will fight someone trying to take it from you, because it's become comfortable.

Sane Asylum

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Maryland, USA
Yep. I may be wrong but I think a lot of smokers are threatened by vaping. Smokers are becoming fewer and to see that someone else may have a healthier alternative brings out some resentment. They may have even tried an over the counter e cigarette and it just didn't do it for them (if that was my only alternative, I have a lot a doubts about my own success) and to see others out there who are successful.... and they really don't know about the world of egos etc.

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
I am seeing a certain percentage of current smokers who are extremely hostile to e-cigs, and without fail they sound extremely defensive to me. One smoker commenting on a different website kept objecting that "Nicotine is a POISON!!!11!!!1" (I'm thinking, DUDE, what the heck do you think YOU are inhaling?:blink:)

I do agree that many smokers are just at their wits' end with being castigated and harrased, and feel very threatened by anything that appears to cast yet another pall over their beloved habit. (I felt a bit like that too, 3 years ago, when I still smoked. I wasn't immune to science and common sense, however. I was just TIRED of all the antz.)

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
It may come across as rude, but if I'm in public, and someone who obviously doesn't know what they're talking about tries to "inform" me of what they know, I just say, "Okay" and keep doing what I'm doing, or ignore them completely. I quote this often here:

"Never argue with a fool. They will only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

and

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
Riverside, California, USA
I would have calmly looked at her and said the following,

Oh I see. Do you know what was in that cigarette you just finished inhaling? Because I know exactly what is in this and after using this mysterious thing called "Google" I was able to make a decision that what I'm inhaling is relatively insignificant to what you just burned and inhaled and I feel like it's the better choice. How about before you go off and judge somebody you shut your mouth and do some research and then you can have an intelligent conversation with the person instead of assuming what you "heard" is true.

I probably would have used some words that would have been replaced by .... by the forum, but that's pretty much it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread