I don't know how to do that either lol

aqabene7.jpg

ryva7uge.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

gil schwartzman

Verified Member
May 1, 2012
New York
Congrats...I'm getting the Microsoft surface w8 tablet for xmas myself...going to dual boot into JB when I get it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Is the actually doable yet? I was under the impression that the Surface's bootloader was locked down hard. I know it's hypothetically possible, and I'm sure people are working on it, but I can't find anything that suggests it's been accomplished. Back in the day I owned an HTC HT2, and it took quite a while for someone to develop a true dual-boot option.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Is the actually doable yet? I was under the impression that the Surface's bootloader was locked down hard. I know it's hypothetically possible, and I'm sure people are working on it, but I can't find anything that suggests it's been accomplished. Back in the day I owned an HTC HT2, and it took quite a while for someone to develop a true dual-boot option.

It's still windows...I can almost guarantee at a minimum I'll have Linux dual booted on day one.

Sent from EVOLTEd

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
It's still windows...I can almost guarantee at a minimum I'll have Linux dual booted on day one.

Sent from EVOLTEd

Well, the current surface is Win8 RT... that's a lot more like a phone than a PC.
However, the second surface that comes out after the first of the year is Win8 Pro so it should have no problems dual booting.

I'd be curious to know how the RT version will differ from the Pro in that area.

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
Your opinion, please, of this article? My feeling is the guy may have gotten a lemon like I did with my phone. After mine got replaced it was fine.
http://www.zdnet.com/my-nexus-s-can...t-im-mostly-not-bitter-7000008487/?s_cid=e539

I'd have to say I agree with his assessment. Eventually the latest and greatest OS won't run on the older hardware. I experienced with my G1, my wife's Behold II and my G2.

At some point, you've got to upgrade the hardware to match the OS.

gil schwartzman

Verified Member
May 1, 2012
New York
Your opinion, please, of this article? My feeling is the guy may have gotten a lemon like I did with my phone. After mine got replaced it was fine.
http://www.zdnet.com/my-nexus-s-can...t-im-mostly-not-bitter-7000008487/?s_cid=e539

It's probably accurate. The Nexus S was one of the last top-tier single core phones. It was only a few months after it came out that HTC and LG came out with the first dual-core phones, and everyone else followed suit. ICS was designed with multi-threading and GPU acceleration in mind. Having a dual core CPU, a strong GPU, and a large amount of memory are crucial. With the right hardware ICS and JB are incredibly smooth. On top of that, there isn't much incentive for Google to put a lot of resources into optimizing ICS for a phone that is two years old.

If you want to run ICS/JB on a Nexus S, your best bet would be to look towards the modding community. There are people there who are going to go well above and beyond what Google has done to optimize the latest android OSes for these phones. If there is any chance of ICS running smooth, it's with them.

MrPicC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
Lone Star State
att s3 with jelly bean! Just realized it's been available with KIES for days now.. Immediately updated and running butter smooth,.. Any tips? tricks? I haven't been keeping up with jelly bean honestly.
I just erased my phone a couple weeks ago so it's pretty bare bones lately.. Needed it fast fast fast..

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
att s3 with jelly bean! Just realized it's been available with KIES for days now.. Immediately updated and running butter smooth,.. Any tips? tricks? I haven't been keeping up with jelly bean honestly.
I just erased my phone a couple weeks ago so it's pretty bare bones lately.. Needed it fast fast fast..

I'm still waiting for Jelly Bean for my S3 from Verizon. :(

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Testing out my Mom's new internet connection with Cox Cable. Speedtest.net shows it to be 28mbps+ download and 8.21mbps upload. Ping is 15ms. I'm jealous to say the least!

Mine with AT&? 5.8mbps DL on a good day and .5mbps UL with throttling in effect if I use it to stream a movie. I'm hoping they will finally get Uverse out to my location soon. Cox isn't an option yet in the county where I live.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Testing out my Mom's new internet connection with Cox Cable. Speedtest.net shows it to be 28mbps+ download and 8.21mbps upload. Ping is 15ms. I'm jealous to say the least!

Mine with AT&? 5.8mbps DL on a good day and .5mbps UL with throttling in effect if I use it to stream a movie. I'm hoping they will finally get Uverse out to my location soon. Cox isn't an option yet in the county where I live.

I have cox cable here in new Orleans and get a consistent 50+ down...I give them that, they have some red hot lines.

Sent from EVOLTEd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread