Vapers that love Android and Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have cox cable here in new Orleans and get a consistent 50+ down...I give them that, they have some red hot lines.

Sent from EVOLTEd

One of the down sides to living on the edge of town, just into the next county, is that services like cable and really high speed internet are the last to reach you. One of the AT&T techs that came to my house when I was having REAL speed problems told me that I should be getting really fast service because I was connected through an AT&T connection in an office building about a half mile away. That building has a fancy repeater/mini central office installation that is directly connected to the trunk.

When I use the online CO searcher sites, they all show me as serviced by a central office in a large AT&T switching center that is 3 miles down the road as the crow flies (using Google maps to route the distance). No telling how far the it is by the hard wire route. Cox doesn't offer service in our area and there are no real alternatives to AT&T. That puts us in a rough spot because AT&T tends to cherry pick when they wire new services into an area and ignore you if you have no good alternatives. We get the "any time now" answer on U-verse, but I know that they aren't likely to offer it to us until it's financially attractive to do so in our area. A mile or so away, there's a huge, brand new mall that must have the latest data link services for transactions. Go figure.

Last edited:

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
One of the down sides to living on the edge of town, just into the next county, is that services like cable and really high speed internet are the last to reach you. One of the AT&T techs that came to my house when I was having REAL speed problems told me that I should be getting really fast service because I was connected through an AT&T connection in an office building about a half mile away. That building has a fancy repeater/mini central office installation that is directly connected to the trunk.

When I use the online CO searcher sites, they all show me as serviced by a central office in a large AT&T switching center that is 3 miles down the road as the crow flies (using Google maps to route the distance). No telling how far the it is by the hard wire route. Cox doesn't offer service in our area and there are no real alternatives to AT&T. That puts us in a rough spot because AT&T tends to cherry pick when they wire new services into an area and ignore you if you have no good alternatives. We get the "any time now" answer on U-verse, but I know that they aren't likely to offer it to us until it's financially attractive to do so in our area. A mile or so away, there's a huge, brand new mall that must have the latest data link services for transactions. Go figure.

i feel your pain dave, personally i can't wait for google fiber to be nationally available.....at that point, screw everything else.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
i feel your pain dave, personally i can't wait for google fiber to be nationally available.....at that point, screw everything else.

I agree. The part that irks me is that the main highway that passes our subdivision feeds other towns up the road. I've been told that there is fiber running down that road. It's the red tape department of AT&T that decides who gets what according to whether there is formidable competition in your area. If you have no alternative, they spend the money where they could lose business to another company. We have DSLAMS in a box on the main highway and I'm told that those split a fiber feed to copper into the neighborhood and bypass the need for the 3000 foot limitation for high speed service. The rest of the neighborhood has been told that the connections are full in that box and they will have to wait for someone to cancel to get a slot. For that reason, I'm sunk if I kiss AT&T goodbye. Someone else on the list gets my 6mbps DSL slot.

Verizon has 4G in my area and I get 20k speedtests on my cell phone. We don't have FIOS yet. I've thought about trying Verizon's cell based internet service.

Last edited:

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
Well, Xmas came early for me this year....transformer prime infinite.....was checking out tablets in best buy and the surface totally turned me off with that keyboard.

sent from my Optimus Prime using Tapatalk infinite

Do u like it? You got the TF700 right?! I got the TF700 as well but I'm thinking of returning it and getting a Nexus 10... After reading reviews online of the TF700, (I should have done that before I bought it) lots of people said it lagged a lot and the screen had weird lines and stuff...

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Do u like it? You got the TF700 right?! I got the TF700 as well but I'm thinking of returning it and getting a Nexus 10... After reading reviews online of the TF700, (I should have done that before I bought it) lots of people said it lagged a lot and the screen had weird lines and stuff...

Loving it so far, probably will root it tomorrow and see what the tegra processor is made of.

matador

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
Colorado
I recently got the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. After reading through tons of reviews it seemed that most other tablets had tons of problems. The Note 10.1 has a quad core cpu and 2 gb ram. Still running ICS, but when itgets the jellybean update it should get the highest benchmarks. Awesome tablet, I love it! :)

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
So last night I called around and the only place local that had the Nexus 10 was Walmart, and they only had 1. I do not drive right now and couldn't get a ride there til this morning and they wouldn't hold it. So I hoped and prayed that they would still have it this morning. Woke up @ 7:30 called Walmart and they still had it and would hold it for 45 minutes. I took back the Asus and got the Nexus and I couldn't be happier!! :)

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
So last night I called around and the only place local that had the Nexus 10 was Walmart, and they only had 1. I do not drive right now and couldn't get a ride there til this morning and they wouldn't hold it. So I hoped and prayed that they would still have it this morning. Woke up @ 7:30 called Walmart and they still had it and would hold it for 45 minutes. I took back the Asus and got the Nexus and I couldn't be happier!! :)

Nice, how is the 10?

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
Quick question...my Galaxy Tab Plus is rooted and I have Titanium Backup Pro. I am trying to figure out how I can put all the apps that I have on my Galaxy Tab Plus to my Nexus 10. I thought Titanium Backup would work but now I am thinking it most likely backs up all my apps to my SD card and there is no SD card slot on the Nexus 10.... I do plan to root the Nexus as well...

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Heads up guys they have released a new version of Tapatalk for tablets....it's in beta at the moment but looking good...not sure if you need to be a Tapatalk user beforehand or not to get it but I just got an email about it and its pretty nice...search Tapatalk HD beta in the market and you should find it.

sent from my Optimus Prime using Tapatalk Infinity

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
Heads up guys they have released a new version of Tapatalk for tablets....it's in beta at the moment but looking good...not sure if you need to be a Tapatalk user beforehand or not to get it but I just got an email about it and its pretty nice...search Tapatalk HD beta in the market and you should find it.

Thanks for the heads up! Where did the email come from? A newsletter your subscribed to?

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Thanks for the heads up! Where did the email come from? A newsletter your subscribed to?

Random email from Tapatalk....I'll see if I can dig up a link or something....

EDIT: came from admin@Tapatalk.com ...maybe a random beta selection? Either way it's called Tapatalk HD beta...really nice setup for tablets, tons of potential, loving the layout so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread