Jun 25, 2010
Houston

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Here's a more focused start. This won't relieve you of any reading but it will keep you from running in the wrong direction.

Heimdall - cross-platform, open-source replacement for Odin (will work on Mac).

Another thread for getting root on the Charge that mentions Heimdall.
[ROOT] [KERNEL] [RECOVERY] - Root / Voodoo Lagfix / CWM Recovery - xda-developers

We can answer questions and offer guidance, so don't be afraid to ask here.

Thanks, I read some threads where people used Heimdall and it didn't work for them. I need step-by-step instructions, which upon looking, I see are plentiful for Windows users, but not for Mac.

If I ever get a Windows box I will root it.

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
Well, based on the few threads I read, I can't blame you for being apprehensive.

Elmattias is right though. You could load Ubuntu (Or Mint... it's better for a beginner imho - or Windows if you have a license) in Bootcamp and it looks like it doesn't share the problems that running Heimdall on the Mac does. Point being, you don't have to use Fusion to run a second OS on the Mac.

Obviously, if you're not comfortable, it's probably not worth the effort. Just wanted to give you some options to think about.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Well, based on the few threads I read, I can't blame you for being apprehensive.

Elmattias is right though. You could load Ubuntu (Or Mint... it's better for a beginner imho - or Windows if you have a license) in Bootcamp and it looks like it doesn't share the problems that running Heimdall on the Mac does. Point being, you don't have to use Fusion to run a second OS on the Mac.

Obviously, if you're not comfortable, it's probably not worth the effort. Just wanted to give you some options to think about.

Only reason I threw out Ubuntu is because you don't need to be really tech savvy to dual boot since it has installers now, also virtual CD is an option as well

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
Only reason I threw out Ubuntu is because you don't need to be really tech savvy to dual boot since it has installers now, also virtual CD is an option as well

I hear you, and Ubuntu is still touted as the best intro to Linux for most people. I just feel like its UI has changed to be almost unusable (get off my lawn).

Most of the good distros have excellent installers now, so that doesn't seem to be a big issue anymore. Besides, with bootcamp, it does the dualboot part for you, independent of the Linux installer.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Thanks guys, but I don't know what Ubunto is and I've never used bootcamp ;)

Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux, an alternative, free PC operating system, Android was built from Linux, so they play nice together, and you can easily load Linux as a second OS onto your computer instead of fighting with mac to root your phone. As for using boot camp, in not familiar with it, as I've always done dual boots the old fashioned way.

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
Well, with the Mac, in order to dualboot, you have to use Bootcamp. There may be a way around it but it's so simple with bootcamp, I can't imagine a reason to not use it.

In order to use VMWare Fusion, you'll have to use bootcamp anyway. All Fusion does is let you run the Windows install - in a window - on top of OSX (it runs the Windows install as a virtual machine).

But yeah, all this is starts to go pretty far down the rabbit hole just to get root on your phone, for (what might be) very little benefit to you, Sandy.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Well, with the Mac, in order to dualboot, you have to use Bootcamp. There may be a way around it but it's so simple with bootcamp, I can't imagine a reason to not use it.

In order to use VMWare Fusion, you'll have to use bootcamp anyway. All Fusion does is let you run the Windows install - in a window - on top of OSX (it runs the Windows install as a virtual machine).

But yeah, all this is starts to go pretty far down the rabbit hole just to get root on your phone, for (what might be) very little benefit to you, Sandy.

Agreed, depends entirely on what you will do with root, if its just tethering you're after, wired tethering options are available, PDAnet and easy tether come to mind as the first choices, pdanet being superior but more expensive of the two.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Thanks you guys! I mostly do just want to tether, so the programs you guys mentioned would be great. I had no idea that the Google Play Store would have tethering apps! For me, with my low level of expertise doing this stuff, the tethering programs will probably be what I should use.

But it would also be nice to run Jelly Bean and all the bells and whistles that go with it.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Thanks you guys! I mostly do just want to tether, so the programs you guys mentioned would be great. I had no idea that the Google Play Store would have tethering apps! For me, with my low level of expertise doing this stuff, the tethering programs will probably be what I should use.

But it would also be nice to run Jelly Bean and all the bells and whistles that go with it.

No problem Sandy, just remember these are hard tethers, so you need a USB chord and probably need to put software on your computer as well, check the descriptions to make sure they are mac compatible before you spend money, as the free programs are limited

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Isn't there some way to create a full image save to a computer for restoration in case you just want to go back to where you were before you decided to root your phone and install a custom image? I have no desire to root my phone, but there are lots of people who would feel safer if they could just decide to go back to where they were at any given time, especially if they have a hardware warranty issue and need to go see the Verizon people for resolution after installing a rooted image.

MrPicC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
Lone Star State
^I'd like to know also. Is there a way to create an image. I know samsung kies does some stuff but does it create an image of everything?
I want to wipe my device. Touchwiz home has crashed 4 times in 2 days and its getting to be a pain. Device other then that runs pretty smooth.

Sent from the future... Left in the past..

TheSenator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Houston, Texas
I don't know how to create an image from a "current" ROM/data setup onto your computer, but most phones already have a stock image out there from the OEM, if you get in a bad situation.

But it's kind of un-needed when you have a custom recovery. Just make a NANDROID backup! In fact most Developers require you to make a NANDROID before flashing any custom software. This is a restore image on your SD card, not your system data. Read up on how TWRP or CWM work....

Then for support:
Get Titanium Backup to bring back your apps
Get SMSBackup to bring back your text messages
Google will automatically bring back your contacts
The only thing that is missing is previous calls

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
What elmattias and TheSenator said.

Nandroid is probably THE main reason why gaining root is useful. Full image backup, sans sdcard.

I upgraded my wife's HTC One S to CM10 from ICS Sense last night. I set up the new ROM and realized that I hadn't backed up her text's properly (Titanium can't restore system app data from disparate versions of Android). I restored the nandroid I made of ICS, used SMSBackup to get her texts, and then restored to the nandroid of the newly configured CM10. Almost painless! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread