Vaping and fatty liver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iamtheall

Jan 27, 2012
Atlanta, GA
In hindsight, I probably should have went back to analogs during the rough patch of life (then go back to ecigs), but I didn't want to. To again reiterate, vaping WAS NOT the sole reason for fatty liver disease diagnosis.
However, I can tell you that the sweetener in e-liquids is significant because when I switched to plain vg, I had sugar withdrawal symptoms. I challenge anyone to test this theory by switching to non-flavored ejuice for a few days and see how their body adjusts.

Schlinky

Oct 10, 2015
In hindsight, I probably should have went back to analogs during the rough patch of life (then go back to ecigs), but I didn't want to. To again reiterate, vaping WAS NOT the sole reason for fatty liver disease diagnosis.
However, I can tell you that the sweetener in e-liquids is significant because when I switched to plain vg, I had sugar withdrawal symptoms. I challenge anyone to test this theory by switching to non-flavored ejuice for a few days and see how their body adjusts.

Let's just say that it's possible to magically turn eliquid into 100% sugar liquid and that you could vape that...

If you vape 10ml of liquid a day that's about two teaspoons of sugar. A single can of coke is over three times as much.

Needless to say eliquid isn't pure sugar and you lungs would have trouble metabolising that much carbohydrate.

What are we talking about here?

• Winner
Reactions: kross8

Schlinky

Oct 10, 2015
Also I'd recommend looking into how eliquids are made and the percentages used.

The calories are much more likely to come from the glycerin which is technically a sugar alcohol with about 4 calories per ml. So the thing about plain juice doesn't make sense.

I vape 5ml a day so I get about 20 calories from my eliquid. I don't think that will cause liver issues.

• Winner

Iamtheall

Jan 27, 2012
Atlanta, GA
During a tough/stressful period, most people ate going to vape/smoke more than the average. During this time, I vaped easily 25 - 30ml a day of 3 mg nicotine.
Again, I challenge you to stop vaping your sweetened e-liquids for a few days and see if you have similar sugar withdrawal symptoms.
It's clear to me that us vapors must modify our diet some if we are vaping flavored ejuice (less carb/ sugars and increase water intake).

Schlinky

Oct 10, 2015
During a tough/stressful period, most people ate going to vape/smoke more than the average. During this time, I vaped easily 25 - 30ml a day of 3 mg nicotine.
Again, I challenge you to stop vaping your sweetened e-liquids for a few days and see if you have similar sugar withdrawal symptoms.
It's clear to me that us vapors must modify our diet some if we are vaping flavored ejuice (less carb/ sugars and increase water intake).

Well as I illustrated above, 30ml per day is about the same as a can of coke (in the 'pure sugar' scenario). In reality it's at most 120 calories, most of which come from the VG.

Are you saying people need to adjust their diet based on a difference of 120 calories? That's about 6 pringle chips btw.

Last edited:

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have a start of a hepatic stearosis. I inherited it from my mother, along with diabetes. My triglycerids were high even when I was 20 and thin as a rake...
If I don't take my medicines my numbers will go up. Nothing that I do with my diet will have any incidence, although that's not a white card at eating anything greasy I get my hands on. Everything in moderation. Eventually my liver WILL fail, it's a matter of when, and it doesn't matter much. But, a little caution.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA

You continue to insist that sucralose is the same as sugar. It is not. Sucralose does not raise blood sugar levels or affect the glycemic index at all when taken orally in foods and beverages. I fail to see how it can be different in vaping, it just makes no sense.

Please stop equating sucralose with sugar, or at least do some research to see the difference. It's kind of like saying coffee is the same as dark chocolate with regards to blood sugar because they both have a bitter flavor. And yet that is certainly not the case at all.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I've been vaping for almost six years and I've noticed that my mustache has lots more gray in it the it used to. Wait maybe being 72 years old has something to do with it, nah it's gotta be vaping.
Try a chocolate, coffee, or licorice juice--the Grecian Formulae of vaping.

Reactions: puffon

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
It’s because I used to do a lot of drinking 10-15 beers a day. And I used to use the white powder, and opoids. ( detoxing now ) and I drive for my job so I probably ate fast food 4-5 times a week . I’m changing my habits and losing up on fruits and veggies , and not going to drink alcohol for a couple months. My doctor said it could be reversible . I drank every weekend from when I was 16-22. I messed myself up because I thought I was invincible ... until I learned the hard way. My doctor said smoking shouldn’t affect it so I don’t think vaping should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the nicotine your getting in cigarettes wont affect it then vaping wont..and vaping is better than smoking in many ways.

Iamtheall

Jan 27, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Ha! I am not here to argue with anyone or make anyone believe me. I am just pointing out my experience and offering what I believe contributed to my diagnosis of NAFLD; and potentially point people who may be having the same symptoms in the right direction. I searched and researched the web for information and most threads that contain anyone stating a negative experience with vaping typically ends the way this one is going - with dismissal of someone else's experience and how they arrived to their conclusion. To be honest, it's almost cult like in the way that when people slowly became aware of the dangers of drinking and driving in the early 70's. Either way, it's not the end of the world because of the diagnosis of NAFLD and again my levels are only slightly elevated. I'm sure if it was more of an issue that the many doctors I saw would prescribe something to take for it. Anyways - for those that may be looking for how to resolve some of these issues - I am no doctor and you should absolutely go get looked at by a professional. However here is what I am doing and have done to get my system back to normal.
I experienced everything from severe bloating, stomach pain, abdominal distention, constipation, malabsorption, severe acid reflux and a host of other symptoms that presented as a gastro problem.
1. I went to the doctor and got all of my bloodwork looked at. Additionally I got tested for celiac, and the whole work up on my liver. I also got a CT scan, upper endoscopy and colonoscopy completed to make sure there wasn't anything going on in my digestive system. I quit flavored ejuice and started vaping unflavored vg juice.
2. After learning I had celiac and NAFLD I went completely gluten free. I also don't drink any alcohol. I tried apple cider vinegar and water for the bloating, constipation and acid reflux but many times it made my symptoms worse.
3. After I couldn't get answers from doctors I gave accupuncture a try - where I was told that it sounded more like liver/gallbladder issue. After acupuncturist did some needling on the respective liver/gallblader points I immediately noticed a difference in acid reflux after eating that day. After a clue that these symptoms may be related to liver, my plan moving forward is to do a serious detox and begin supplementing with some sort of liver support supplement. My symptoms have gotten better over the year that I've had them (started Nov 17) by drinking nothing but water, cleaning up my diet, switching to unflavored vg (6mg) and doing basic detoxes here and there.
Again, I don't think that vaping flavored ejuice was the SOLE issue for this, but I think it was something that exacerbated issues. As I said previously, I had slightly elevated levels of insulin resistance and my levels for celiac and NAFLD are only slightly elevated now. All other bloodwork completely normal.
I challenge anyone to switch to unflavored vg or pg or whatever ratio they like for 3-4 days to see if they have sugar withdrawal symptoms. If you do, then it is proof that the sweetener in flavored ejuice is in fact affecting us in ways we aren't fully clear of yet. It doesn't cost very much, and I am not in anyway promoting any type of brand.
I still agree that e-cigs are tons healthier than analogs, but there are still some considerations to be taken into account.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I think it's a good idea to question vaping. I've certainly given the potential health risk of vaping a lot of thought and will continue to do so. To blindly assume that it's perfectly healthy in every way is a bit naive I think. There is still a lot of research to be done and none of us know the outcome.

This is just plain ignorance, and a very poor troll job. Honest answers to honest questions are probably a better response and a lot more useful. Especially your last line. That's really the best you could come up with to add value to the thread? Fail.

There is still a lot of unanswered questions about vaping and it's better to get studies done now than be surprised in 20 years. Hopefully everything's great with vaping but we really don't know yet. That doesn't mean that while we wait for studies, real studies, to be done we shouldn't continue to question and discuss.

No, I have nothing against questions and I am a very scientifically minded person (probably more so than anyone you have ever met).... Been involved in a couple of sciences for most of my life as a profession..... But what I mentioned is just a plain FACT for all to see... The fact that "some" people WORRY about their vaping is a FACT..... The FACT that lots of people smoked for decades even though they knew it would probably kill them is also a FACT.... There is no ignorance involved with those observations as they are just facts.... The only "ignorance" being exhibited is from you in not understanding what was being relayed in my post.

I also am one who has tried to warn people time and time about the "possible" dangers of vaping in the long run.... Look through my old posts and you will see many times I have debated against the type of people who "assume" that vaping is harmless.... I have NEVER assumed such a naive notion and I have always been the exact opposite.

What I was "trying" to express in my earlier post was the strange phenomenon of the addictive personality that causes people to do things that they know full well may be harmful to them... I find it quite strange. I myself have a very addictive personality, but none the less, it is a strange phenomenon to me.

I used to go round and round on here with members who think that vaping is totally harmless.... I am not one who thinks it is harmless....

Like anyone else who has any bit of self-preservation, I worry about vaping too.... But I am also aware that if it does cause medical problems in the future for myself then the blame has to be laid entirely at my feet and no one else's...... Also, if people worry too a great extent about the possible dangers of vaping then the simplest solution is just to stop vaping and then maybe they can quit worrying so much.

Last edited:

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    I think I'm beginning to see my problem, lots of my (diy) juices contain vanilla. This may be why my mustache is turning gray/white, problem solved, thank you for your help.
    I live to serve!

Now you need to vape some blackberry juice to see if your mustache turns purple.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    What I was "trying" to express in my earlier post was the strange phenomenon of the addictive personality that causes people to do things that they know full well may be harmful to them... I find it quite strange. I myself have a very addictive personality, but none the less, it is a strange phenomenon to me.

If I had known that's what you meant I would have at least agreed. But honestly, it really didn't come off that way.

At any rate, water under the bridge, and we're good as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: AXIOM_1
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread