Vaping as a smoking cessation tool does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I would like to add, vaping delivers nic a lot slower than traditional cigarettes. Where you would take 5 - 7 minutes to smoke a cigarette, you probably need to vape about 15 to get the same satisfaction.

Good luck!! :)

I do hope you get it figured out. And yeah, kinda the wrong choice in wording on the thread title ;)

TraceyS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
I'm off and on with vaping. Today I'm trying to vape to replace cigaretts. So why am I complaining? I have less than 1/4 tank of juice, which is almost doable, but now all of a sudden my ecig is barely hitting. It never does that! Vaping is just too difficult. With cigaretts, you just flip the top and know that you are good. If not, you can stop anywhere and refill. I don't have my personal, tolarable juice mixture here with me at work, so I can refill and make this work. No, I have less than a 1/4 tank of juice to get me through more than a 12 hour day.

Sorry. everytime I give it a go to get off of cigaretts, I run into these similar issues. And it's not often that I give it a real go, so it's double frustrating. It's not like "oh well, just try again tomorrow".

It's worked almost three years for me! For me I have what I consider a bullet proof setup now...but before this there was a lot of work involved! I still see me sitting there filling cartos and trying to get the batteries to last a couple hours while charging 5 other batteries lol. I was so determined I would not buy this stuff and not even attempt it! Yay it works! Gotta have some I'm going to do this attitude! By the way, are you trying to fail only bringing 1/4 tank to a 12 hour job? I'm baffled at that, but I know things get forgotten.....I was so in to my ecigs that it is almost all I ever thought about so I knew I wasn't going to be caught without one! Good luck!

Tracey

Tracey

Reactions: Cacique

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I think you've hit the nail on the head. When you aren't stressed and you don't let the nic level go down, the ecigs work like a dream. It's when the nic levels drop too low, you aren't able to get the nic fast enough to comfort those urges.

Try not to stress. Take backups with you and if something isn't working right, use the backup. Also there is no right or wrong way. Dual use is totally fine. It took me a month before cigs were just nasty to me.

Once you find your vaping zone, it will all become easier. Maybe a higher nic for work?
This is a very important study for new vapors trying to quit:

Nicotine absorption from electronic cigarette use: comparison between first and new-generation devices : Scientific Reports : Nature Publishing Group

Basically it says you have to Vape about 35 minutes or more, using 18mg juice in order to get to the same blood nicotine concentration as you would after only 5 minutes with one cig. There are HUGE implications here. First, you cannot maintain your nicotine level with 5 minute Vape breaks like you could with cigs. And of course that highlights the unfairness of relegating vapers to smoking areas and "smoking breaks".

It also suggests that what is generally considered "high strength" eJuice may not be. The study suggests that if you need to take short breaks then even 24mg is not enough. There is an interesting old thread called something like "Vaping For Nicotine Advantages" where a gentleman representing himself as a professor of neuroscience was taking short vape sessions with 50mg juice. I can't find the thread now, maybe that level was considered politically incorrect? Anyway, do your own research and don't be afraid to up your nic level "just becuz you read it's bad on the internet". Also research "WTA" here, and learn the potential advantages and disadvantages to adding other chemicals related to nicotine to your juice.

ETA: Here's that thread. Don't know why it's hard to search...

Vaping for nicotine advantages? | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
was taking short vape sessions with 50mg juice. I can't find the thread now, maybe that level was considered politically incorrect?
Nah, that level is fine. If it wasn't, @beckdg would have to be banned :lol: He vapes 50mg and has for a VERY long time ;)

kaahn

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern NC
I'm off and on with vaping. Today I'm trying to vape to replace cigaretts. So why am I complaining? I have less than 1/4 tank of juice, which is almost doable, but now all of a sudden my ecig is barely hitting. It never does that! Vaping is just too difficult. With cigaretts, you just flip the top and know that you are good. If not, you can stop anywhere and refill. I don't have my personal, tolarable juice mixture here with me at work, so I can refill and make this work. No, I have less than a 1/4 tank of juice to get me through more than a 12 hour day.

Sorry. everytime I give it a go to get off of cigaretts, I run into these similar issues. And it's not often that I give it a real go, so it's double frustrating. It's not like "oh well, just try again tomorrow".
Cigs may be easy now but after the years of smoking... when you are left dealing with the effects of emphazema or possibly worse... you will look back and say yeah it was so easy then. Yeah vaping may be frustrating but how frustrating will it be when you feel like you are suffocating and gasping to get air from years of smoking. I'm so sorry that you are having so many issues. Vaping does have a learning curve but once you get used to it and find what works best for you it becomes second nature. Stick with it...keep tinkering and trust me something will click and you will be in vaping nirvana! Good luck with your plight and I wish you all the best!

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
As others have mentioned, the headline of this thread is not true. If possible I think it would be a good idea to change it to 'vaping as a smoking cessation tool did not work for me'.

I was a 2 and a half pack a day smoker for 37 years, at one point a few years ago during a high stress time I was up to 3 to 4 packs a day chain smoking and I was smoking probably the strongest you can get. My first vape was my last cigarette and I haven't had another since I started vaping 12 days ago. I thought I would still be smoking while I vaped for a couple or few months, but after taking that first vape, then the second, and so on I haven't even craved a cigarette since. It wasn't a conscious decision not to smoke either... I fully expected to keep smoking, I just didn't because the craving wasn't there and I enjoyed vaping a lot more than I ever did smoking.

Everyone is different though, I know that very well. Just as some people can quit smoking cold turkey with no cessation aid and others need cessation aids, not everyone will be able to use vaping right off the bat. But I do believe, if given time and will power, vaping can indeed work. I hope you don't give up trying to quit @edacsac because it will indeed be very beneficial. There's a lot of very encouraging posts in this thread with a lot of awesome advice. Quitting isn't just about stopping the cigarettes... A good support system is also needed, and I believe you can find that right here in these forums.

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
I sympathize with your frustration. I experienced similar issues in the early going. If you really want to quit, vaping is a good way to do it. I tried all but one of the other available techniques without succeeding. It wasn't until vaping came along that I could get off cigarettes but I did (over two years ago) and so can you.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
It does work for a lot of people, but you know that and I am sorry you feel frustrated. I was able to quit smoking 4 years ago on day one with vaping and I smoked 2PAD for 30+ years...... but you really have to want to and be committed to quitting smoking and willing to seriously work at it otherwise, no, it won't work for you no matter what you try, personally. If you are honestly finding vaping as you do it now too difficult and want something as easy as flipping the top and knowing that you are good maybe a disposable type ecig such as an Njoy King would be better suited to your style, you can stop almost anywhere and get one and no fuss (charging batteries/filling cartos/) with those.

TotemHarpy

Jun 7, 2015
Mississippi, US
I smoked for so long, and tried to quit so many times. Pills, patches, inhalers, gum, mints, ect and nothing worked ever. Maybe for a day or two but that's it, I'd break and grab a smoke. Vaping is the first thing that has ever helped me quit and stay off it. Before I started, I read a lot (and tbh always ended up on these forums), and watched a lot of youtube "for beginners" and "how to (insert specific mod/tank here)" to help before I ever got it. The worst part so far hasn't been the urge for a smoke, but the effects of quitting (which have all gone away:)). I've seen a lot of blog posts with problems, and noticed that a lot of the complaints were the effects of smoking cessation, not vaping. Also knowing your equipment and how it works, how to properly use it, even as far as how to properly inhale a vape will help so much more than picking it up and just "whatevs, i know how to smoke". Sorry for the wall of text, but I would reallllly hate to see someone quit vaping, when it's an AMAZING experience, and I feel sooo much better for it.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I have to disagree with the OP. Vaping works great, and I quit smoking analogs as soon as I began vaping and I haven't looked back.

Having enough juice around and having spare batteries is just common sense, IMO. I also use very simple hardware, so there's nothing difficult to deal with.

If a smoker is not willing to make the effort, then they will not be successful I guess.

Reactions: TraceyS

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Not the best thread to offer recommendations and advice.

Op is not ready to commit and is not really interested in quitting yet. This is clear in the original and follow up post.

Op, when ready, seek advice and guidance. Plenty of people have Stopped smoking with the help of Vaping tools. Many of those have even gone on to stop Vaping.
We have members that stop by to check in that have done just that.

While I do not see myself stopping vaping(something I enjoy) I know others have. I would just as soon eat a bullet as ever pick up another cigarette!

61yrs, smoked over 45yrs, 1-1.5PAD - Stopped instantly on my first Vaping attempt after failing to stop trying a dozen times over the years.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Here's the Deal.

e-Cigarettes are not Cigarettes. And yes, e-Cigarettes do have a Moderate Learning Curve.

But since I have been a Member here, I have seen 1,000's of Hard Core Smokers (ones who had Tried to Quit many times) quit by using an e-Cigarette.

I'm Not Going to BS you. I wasn't one of those People who Took 1 Hit on an e-Cigarette and then Never Smoked again. I Struggled with it. I struggled with the Hardware. And I struggled finding an e-Liquid that I could use Everyday.

But I kept at it. And was Able to Ramp Down cigarettes while Ramping Up e-Cigarettes. It took my about 6 Months. But I finally Got there.

You can Also.

But you have to Want to Quit Smoking. Really Want to Quit Smoking.

Don't Get Frustrated. And Don't get Discouraged. Just keep putting one foot in Front of the Next. It's the only way to get from Point A to Point B.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
When I first started I had an Ego-T cigalike and it was hard, I just couldn't get a good hit, after I got a few clearos and a VW mod it came around and was easier :)
Vaping does work to get you off the smokes :) You need to find your sweet spot, it mite take a few different setups till you find it. Don't give up you will find your sweet spot and it will work when you do :)

Reactions: zoiDman

searcher

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Bossier City, La
I was one that didn't have any desire to quit. I had smoked for 44+ years and tried quitting several times (never more than a few hours). My 510 came in from Health Cabin and I broke it out and charged it up. I went outside and tried it and determined that it wasn't smoking but might be okay. Went back inside and tried vaping while watching the news (determined that vaping inside in the AC was much preferable to smoking outside in 102 degree temperature). I never smoked another cigarette. I don't know if it would have worked if I was still working, but being retired there was no one to control when and where I vaped (my DW had no problem with vaping in the house as long as it wasn't desert flavors {she cant stand sweet smells}).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread