Vaping for Science!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I need to have the e-cig ready before they come in. I'm trying to get a general idea of something that everyone would be okay using. Everyone is going to use something different in their regular lives, but if there is something out there that is good enough for my quick study session, that's what I need :)

ProVari 3 (P3) - The Personal Vaporizer Perfected

Kayfun V4 P3 connector

All a vaper will ever need. Designed to last a lifetime. "Provari" - made in the USA. "kayfun V4"- Made in Germany.

002_zpsom6cifrr.jpg

Provari v2.5 with a kayfun V4

Last edited:

amandapalmtree

Aug 24, 2015
You need some pre-information before your subjects come in, if they are already vaping.
Some will be using little cigalikes.
Some will be using ego size setups with evod tanks.
Some will be using mech mods.
My guess is most will be using 30 watt mods with either an aspire tank or a kanger tank or similar.
Some will use rda's aka drippers.

A vape shop would be a good place for you to talk to somebody; they might loan you supplies for your study instead of you having to buy all the stuff; the liquids you use you will have to pay for, but for hardware, if you can just borrow or rent it........
That's a great point! I'll be asking people about what they already use, and see if it makes a difference

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
This sounds like a great study, and in fact, a lot of people would love to do this! However, the FDA does not allow us to administer e-cigs with the intent of therapeutic purposes (like smoking cessation). Some groups in Europe and Australia/New Zeland have done exactly this, though, but the studies were not very rigorous

I see. Really, though, it would be a study on whether or not they preferred an e-cig to a cigarette and why or why not, rather than smoking cessation. More of a comparison between nicotine delivery devices- cigarettes vs. e-nic...

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
If the test subjects are coming in one at a time, you might want to use one quality mod that is known to deliver the exact power it's set to, for consistency and reproducability. Get a pair of replacable batteries (18650 size) and a decent charger. You can charge one while using the other. With a mod that consistently delivers the power displayed on the screen, you won't need to swap the batteries around until the one in use is going low. The Provari P3 is a good recommendation, it is known for being accurate.

I would not use a rebuildable tank if I were you, because there are many variables in the rebuilding. Rather use a well known, widespread, middle-of-the-road bottom coil tank with replacable coil heads.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hhhmmm... I'd like to see the study done, but I question your ability to get anything like solid stats from experienced vapers. We are an opinionated lot; we like what we like and we've been doing it long enough so we know. Moreover, the vape preferred by different people is wildly different. Some like low power and small vapor, others like higher power and a lot more vapor. We often will change our preferred nicotine level in the juice depending on what gear we're going to use to vape it. If you give a tootle-puffer rig to a subohm type, they won't even notice it. If you give a subohm rig to a tootle puffer, you'll have 'em rolling on the floor gasping for breath. Just the difference between mouth-to-lung and direct-to-lung hitters is going to be huge. Rather than trying to use specific gear, why don't you consider letting the subjects use their own gear, but with a measured amount of fluid? Even that will be problematic as flavor makes a big difference too.

amandapalmtree

Aug 24, 2015
If the test subjects are coming in one at a time, you might want to use one quality mod that is known to deliver the exact power it's set to, for consistency and reproducability. Get a pair of replacable batteries (18650 size) and a decent charger. You can charge one while using the other. With a mod that consistently delivers the power displayed on the screen, you won't need to swap the batteries around until the one in use is going low. The Provari P3 is a good recommendation, it is known for being accurate.

I would not use a rebuildable tank if I were you, because there are many variables in the rebuilding. Rather use a well known, widespread, middle-of-the-road bottom coil tank with replacable coil heads.
thank you!

amandapalmtree

Aug 24, 2015
If you don't mind my asking, who will be interested in the results of your test? What group of people are your targeted audience and who is funding your project?
I'm in medicine. I'm funded by a university medical center (but we are not "anti-e-cig" by any means!) and the results would likely be published in an academic journal, probably psychology/psychiatry/medicine. This is why I have to stick with pesky FDA rules and certain methodology :(

Reactions: Susan~S

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I can! It's going to be a few years though, these things are very slow haha

oh.
well things have been changing pretty fast.
I've been vaping since 2013.
Back then the old ce4's on ego batteries was the standard starter kit.
and rebuildables were mostly genesis type with mesh wicks.

by 2014 the evod bottom coil kits were common starter kits, and 15 watt vw regulated mods were common; the kayfun type bottom coil rebuildables were starting to flourish.

now this year, 30watt vw watts seem to be a norm.
instead of buying a clearomizer then upgrading to a rebuildable, now you can buy a clearomizer like the subtank, and start off with a replaceable coil head, and later on use the rebuildable heads.
temperature controlled mods are developing.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
It would seem more effective to have test subjects who are smokers who are not vapers, than those who regularly vape, to determine what is appealing. A simple survey among already vapers would answer your question...
???????????
what?
:blink:
look.believe me,i am trying.
regards
mike

amandapalmtree

Aug 24, 2015
a few years? :blink: ... vaping has changed drastically in just the last few years alone ... now, I'm even more confused on what you are trying to accomplish :vapor:
ugh trust me, I know, the slow process is frustrating to me also. I'm aware my results will be somewhat dated when they come out, but it's better than nothing!

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
???????????
what?
:blink:
look.believe me,i am trying.
regards
mike

What's the point of asking vapers what they find appealing about vaping by doing hands on research? They can fill out a survey to get those answers.
Now having never vapers try vaping and asking them what they find appealing about it would be a more interesting study...

amandapalmtree

Aug 24, 2015
What's the point of asking vapers what they find appealing about vaping by doing hands on research? They can fill out a survey to get those answers.
Now having never vapers try vaping and asking them what they find appealing about it would be a more interesting study...
Yes, people have done that! Lot of research focuses on novice users--I guess I'm more interested in what keeps people vaping and not smoking

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Yes, people have done that! Lot of research focuses on novice users--I guess I'm more interested in what keeps people vaping and not smoking

How is having them try devices they don't normally use going to answer that? The methodology makes no sense. A simple questionnaire would do...

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I know they want to enforce Vaping as not a viable smoking cessation method ... however, they have got that totally wrong.

I too am waiting out the FDA regs ... because, if things go south in a big way ... I have also thought about doing an extensive study that will prove vaping is 100% effective as a smoking cessation method.

I believe with a well planned nicotine step down program, and vaping with a Provari/Kayfun setup (no working through tons of gear and juice to find a suitable smoking replacement). I truly believe, if you put these devices, already setup and ready to vape into the hands of smokers who are willing to put even a 1/2@ssed effort into quiting tobacco ... my study will return an alarming percentage of successful ex-smokers.

I'm thinking close to 100% :smokie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread