Vaping much more frequently than I used to smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trucapri

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
North Carolina
My only concern about vaping is that with a cigarette I could count the amount I had smoked. With my PV it's hard to gauge just how much nicotine I'm getiing in a day. The other day I was off work and realized later in the day that I had been going at it pretty much all day. Live and learn I guess! :D

If you want a way to gauge how much you're vaping, try direct dripping. Rather than reaching for a ready-to-go PV, you'd have to get your PV and your juice, drip 3 drops, set the juice aside and vape just those 3 drops. If its a mind-over-matter deal you're struggling with, you can equate 3 or maybe 6 drops to one analog and see how it works for you.

Wishing you the best success!

Arnel

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2012
Miami Beach
As others have said, almost everyone vapes way more than they smoked in the beginning. I think a lot of it has to do with not only enjoying the vaping but for me it was also, that I didn't want to give myself an opportunity to pick up a cigarette.

It does slow down. I actually stopped vaping a while back and am starting again as I've started having cravings again.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
The is from the ECF Tutorial-

■E-cigarettes are far less efficient in delivering nicotine to the user than tobacco cigarettes, so to make up for this you may need to go strong at first. It's very easy indeed to reduce the liquid's strength with a little DIY - but hard to increase it.
■Beginners have poor technique so the end result is not optimal - they don't get the full benefit of the nicotine content.

Probably a combo of lower nic juice and just being new to vaping. There's actually a lot about this in the tutorial.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The is from the ECF Tutorial-

■E-cigarettes are far less efficient in delivering nicotine to the user than tobacco cigarettes, so to make up for this you may need to go strong at first. It's very easy indeed to reduce the liquid's strength with a little DIY - but hard to increase it.
■Beginners have poor technique so the end result is not optimal - they don't get the full benefit of the nicotine content.

Probably a combo of lower nic juice and just being new to vaping. There's actually a lot about this in the tutorial.

Thanks for pasting this from the tutorial, haven't seen this yet but makes a lot of sense. My wife claims that I am vaping much more than I was smoking. Maybe but I am not sure this is true. More frequently yes, but rather than 12 to 15 puffs of an analog each hour or so (smoked right at about half pack a day) for say 150 or so nasty smoke-filled inhalations, I am now TYPICALLY taking 4 or 5 vape hits, every half hour, give or take, maybe for about 12 or so hours a day which equates to approximately 120 vapes a day, give or take.

So in my opinion, I'm actually vaping less than I smoked, and certainly given the information regarding the decreased nicotine delivery efficiency of PVs, I think it is very accurate to say I am absorbing less nicotine into my body than on analogs! I'm currently using 16 mg filters or whatever they are called, so probably much less nic coursing through my veins now. I DO feel a bit more craving probably because I suddenly dropped my nic levels, but I think and hope this will abate over time.

Thanks again for all of the great information, tips, advice etc from all of you PV vets on here!

Carbon

OrionLonestar

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2011
Dayton, Tn
For about the first month my PV barely left my mouth, now when i am at work (which everyone is cool with me vaping in the building when no customers are around or in the back office) i take a toot every now and then but no where near as much as i use too. I started with a kr808d-1 set from V2 and have recently upgraded to a box mod from madvapes, and holy **** the difference. gone from about 5ml of liquid to about 3ml just by changing devices. still vaping around 18mg of nic and happy there at the moment. and getting into DIY reduces the cost even more.

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
I don't vape the way I smoked. I generally vape more often, but I vape a toot, maybe two and put it down. When I was smoking, I never left the house without making sure I had plenty of smokes. When I started vaping, I never left the house without at least 2 PV's and a bottle of juice. But now, if I'm leaving the house and I won't be gone more than an hour or so, I often don't bring a PV. And it doesn't bother me to go without.

BTW, if this is confusing, I just read what I wrote and it doesn't make sense to me either.

FreeFire

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Twin Cities Minnesota
I don't vape the way I smoked. I generally vape more often, but I vape a toot, maybe two and put it down. When I was smoking, I never left the house without making sure I had plenty of smokes. When I started vaping, I never left the house without at least 2 PV's and a bottle of juice. But now, if I'm leaving the house and I won't be gone more than an hour or so, I often don't bring a PV. And it doesn't bother me to go without.

BTW, if this is confusing, I just read what I wrote and it doesn't make sense to me either.

LOL....me neither if that makes you feel any better :) Actually, I do get what you're saying.

sinnyc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Up north
I vape more often than I smoked as well. Here are my thoughts on why:

When I smoked a cigarette I'd pack a lot of nicotine into a 5 minute period. The nicotine in my system spikes and then slowly diminishes until my next smoke when it spiked again. On a graph it would look like a saw blade. Because I can vape in far more places (hell, I vape all day at my desk at work) it allows me to smooth out that pattern and generally keep up a more consistent level of nicotine. I buy juice ranging from 12mg - 18mg with the idea that if I need more nicotine I can always vape more.

- Tim

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran

Made sense to me!

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
I vape more often than I smoked as well. Here are my thoughts on why:

When I smoked a cigarette I'd pack a lot of nicotine into a 5 minute period. The nicotine in my system spikes and then slowly diminishes until my next smoke when it spiked again. On a graph it would look like a saw blade. Because I can vape in far more places (hell, I vape all day at my desk at work) it allows me to smooth out that pattern and generally keep up a more consistent level of nicotine. I buy juice ranging from 12mg - 18mg with the idea that if I need more nicotine I can always vape more.

- Tim

I agree. It's steady instead of a roller coaster.

One of the things about nicotine is that it effects the body in more than one way. At low levels it will act as a stimulant. At higher levels nicotine triggers the reward center of the brain. From what I have read it would appear that the latter results in addiction. The way I think vaping works is that it gives the user the ability to reach the stimulant level of nicotine and prevent withdrawals but because there is no need to "finish vaping" (as you might finish an analoge) you never really hit the reward level that hard. I think this is why people may have an easer time stepping down nicotine consumption while vapping. I use to use nicotine lozenges. When you pop a lozenge in your mouth you finish it and get more nicotine than you "need". I have never ramped UP my nicotine consumption more than when I was on lozenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread