vaping, more expensive than smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i used to smoke, i'd spend maybe $60-$80/month on cigarettes.
i felt i was spending way too much money on cigarettes.

then i got into vaping, thought i'll actually save a LOT more money on cigs.
it turns out, just last and this month combined, i spent close to $600!

last week i went to vape shop, i walked out $50 lighter. today i walked into vape shop, i walked out $70 lighter.
yikes! i feel so guilty, as if i just spent my life savings on gambling. (not saying i have ever done so)

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I think after the initial purchases, it can be cheaper. I stuffed my own with organic tobacco, so smoking only cost me about $50/month. I spent that the first month of vaping. I didn't quit smoking to save money, though. Whatever vaping costs is worth it to me, as I no longer smoke. As it is, I have all the gear I will need for quite a while and have settled on about a dozen favorite juices, so the large purchases are pretty much over with.

jkd916

Jun 4, 2013
Kansas
I'm with you, mrsquash. All I want to do is buy more, more, more. However, my bank account tells me to relax most of the time. :) I do agree, though, that once you get set up the cost will diminish considerably. Once I got my setup, back-ups, tanks, clearomizers, and chargers, my purchasing went down a lot. I spend roughly $20-$40/month depending on what I want or need now.

StillMaticc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
Same here, i've spent about $50 0 on vaping supplies. +-$100 that I cannot account for :)
But I think i've settled down a bit now, and only looking for different juices. I've got the devices I like...and use daily, with about 7 different juices in rotation, 2 ADV's, so my spending has slowed, and the savings are kicking in. Better than my $366 per month habit.

jimrug1

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2012
Peoria, IL
when i used to smoke, i'd spend maybe $60-$80/month on cigarettes.
i felt i was spending way too much money on cigarettes.

then i got into vaping, thought i'll actually save a LOT more money on cigs.
it turns out, just last and this month combined, i spent close to $600!

last week i went to vape shop, i walked out $50 lighter. today i walked into vape shop, i walked out $70 lighter.
yikes! i feel so guilty, as if i just spent my life savings on gambling. (not saying i have ever done so)

I spent more per week than you did a month on smoking so I could spend a good bit before I felt guilty. However... if it becomes a sport/hobby, as it so often does, then it is totally up to your self control. You can really satisfy your "nic fix" with fairly modest equipment. (financially speaking) However, its like any sport/hobby. There is always something out there newer, better, shinier, more powerful, better technology with more bells and whistles than you have. Even if you bought it yesterday. If you are the type that is compelled to keep on top of all that... GL

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
what do you mean you DIY own juice?
are you literally putting something like apple juice and mix it with nicotine?

I am making my own eliquid from Nic liquid, PG, VG, and certain food grade flavorings. Check out the DIY section of the eliquid part of the forums:)

markdm4805

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Stockton, CA
I'd say there is two routes you can go with vaping. If you just want a good setup to get you off and keep you off cigs you can do it cheaper than smoking. I make my own E liquid and its fairly cheap. A good carto tank can be had for about 10 bucks and $ 10 worth of cartos can last me 2 months. If you get into the hobby side of vaping as I am somewhat it can cost you like any hobby. It's pretty much a matter of where your preference lies. The initial equipment cost will be higher at first. Then if your just looking to get away from cigs I'd say you can keep it to about $ 20-40 a month with some planning.

genghishahn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
I'm actually in the same predicament as you, mrsquash. Vaping for 7 weeks, about $600 in. I think things will slow down from here though. The first $200 went towards trying things out and experimenting with different hardware. Learned that I prefer atomizers over cartos, rebuildables over disposables, silica over SS mesh, mechanicals over VV/VW, and bottom-button over side-button, and that I can't vape PG. The rest has gone towards finding 100% VG eliquids that I like, getting my wick and coils dialed in, and a couple of high end mods. Other than settling on eliquid, I'm pretty much all set up. Moving forward, there are just a couple more things on my wish list, and then I'm done with the big purchases and can start saving money (I hope....). I'm sure things will slow down for you. Unless you happen to be made of money ;).

Honestly though, the spending to this point doesn't really bother me. I found a hobby that fills my need to tinker with things, and keeps me off of analogs. Win-win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread