The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vapor Flask

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by sb713, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. BNEAT

BNEAT Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Louisville, Kentucky
    At this point, if I were to send mine in for a mechanical repair, I would insist they reinstall my original board. It's been flawless for over 6 months, so no sense in taking any risk now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Major911

Major911 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2014
    Grand Island, FL, USA
    26g ? How many wraps do you have to have with that? Can you elaborate on the silver eyelets?

3. HolmanGT

HolmanGT Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 2, 2013
    St. George, UT USA
    Yeah I sure can Major,

I use 8 wraps however I use a 4.5 mm mandrel and it consistently comes out at 0.12 ohms so if you use a smaller ID you will need a few extra turns. I find the 4.5 mm ID just wicks juice like a sponge. I know that you don't hear that size often but I would be hard pressed to go smaller because it just works so well.

If you don't like 4.5 mm albeit I don't see why you wouldn't like it once you try it. Just go to Steam Engine | free vaping calculators it will tell you what you need in an instant and it is accurate to within a half turn. If you already knew about S.E. sorry for being redundant.

I use the eyelets with the crimp section right where the lead exit the coil and the loop end I put the post screw through the hole and into the Atty post. That way all the coil is in contact with the wick and the leads from the coil to the terminal posts are all silver so it is impossible to get a hot leg which was something I was having trouble with using Ni200 or Ti for that matter. Those little sections of leas that leave the coil and go to the post are not in contact with the wick so they get hotter than the rest of the coil and make the temperature look higher to the Mod and/or will make it look like your coil is reaching TP very quickly. The Silver eyelets fix that problem.

Hear is the link: for the eyelets I use they call the crimp ends or something but my naming convention is a little more descriptive IMHO. ;)

Crimp end, sterling silver, 3x1mm tube with loop, 0.4mm inside diameter. Sold per pkg of 50. - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

PS - I use a crimp tool I picked up at Wall Mart or Michaels Crafts they are typically cheaper by 1/2 or you can just use a pair of needle nose. One more thing if the screws on your Atty are really big just snip the ring portion so you can increase the radius jut a bit. Not necessary on any of mine but you never know.

Caveat: You can pick up the crimps at Wal Mart and Michaels or any crafts shop but watch out some of those are just siver plated they work fine but for long term safety I would strongly recommend the "Sterling Silver". But you can test the using the plated ones with no problem until you get your hands on the pure ones.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Major911

Major911 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2014
    Grand Island, FL, USA
    Thanks for the info. I'll give this a try. I'm always open to better options. I've mastered 30g ni200 and consistently build my .13 - .15 on a 3mm but would like to try something sturdier like 26g. Sounds like a solid plan.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fogmust

fogmust Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 28, 2015
    New Jersey
    So, I got a weird issue with my VF today for the first time.
    I got the "weak battery" warning and I thought that it came kind of quickly after the last charge, but didn't think too much of it at the time.
    Took out my batteries and when I put them in the charger, one of the LED indicators turned green immediately. Weird. I swapped the slots and sure enough, same battery shows fully charged. I even put it in my Provari and it shows 99%. This means that the VF killed only one battery, while the other one was completely charged.
    Has this happened to anybody? Is my VF going bad? Hopefully somebody can chime in.
    Thanks!

6. Riblet

Riblet Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 11, 2015
    LBC
    Try tightening the top plate screws, that fixes it most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fogmust

Feb 28, 2015
    New Jersey
    Thanks, I'll try, as soon as I find a tiny microscopic Allen like that... Not even sure where I'll find one.

8. Pocha

Pocha Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I had t get mine off Amazon. No local hardware stores carried it. It's a .05.

9. jazzvaper

jazzvaper Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2014
    USA
    Now that is good to know.

Thanx!

10. HolmanGT

Jul 2, 2013
    St. George, UT USA
    If you try the Sterling Silver crimp ends (eyelets) you wont be sorry. Today I had to do some shopping and left my Vapor Flask in the care (weather here sunny and 105F) in the car God only knows. The reason I am talking weather is the 0.12 ohms that I said it holds like a rock. Well when I came back to the car my vapor flask (which I covered with a white micro-fiber cloth) was really hot so I took a pull and notice that it still said 0.12 ohms. I'm telling you there is something magic about 26 Ga and the Sterling eyelet crimps. I personally believe the combination holds it spacing and makes such good contact that the DNA40 thinks it has dies and gone to heaven. It makes me feel like I won the Lottery or something. :w00t:

11. Rcajun

Rcajun Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2015
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Weak battery and using both batteries tighten the top. Pulling a full and drained battery, contact VF. Had to send wifes Marsala in for using only one battery.

• Like Like x 2
  12. fogmust

Feb 28, 2015
    New Jersey
    That's what I was afraid of... I'll use it today and if the same thing happens, it will be going back to the mother ship.

13. Rcajun

Rcajun Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2015
    Dallas, TX, USA
    You can message Preston Knight via Facebook messenger or shoot them an email at customerservice at vaporflask.com.
    Usually takes a day or two for response on email, but I have a habit of sending on Friday, so that might create a delay.

I like that they stand behind their product. Usually a week or a little more to make the trip there and back. Think most of the time away is spent with usps.

• Like Like x 2
  14. fogmust

Feb 28, 2015
    New Jersey
  15. sedge

sedge Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 8, 2012
    Palm Springs, CA
    Holman. Could you please post pics of the process and the final build?

• Like Like x 1
  16. HolmanGT

Jul 2, 2013
    St. George, UT USA
    Sedge,

If you talking about the Sterling Silver crimp eyelets. I have to rebuild one tomorrow that has just been sitting un-built on my shelf. I will certainly post some pictures. With any luck by the end of the day tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rikk

Rikk Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 23, 2014
    Utah
    Yes, please do because I'm very interested too. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean and a photo or two would help tremendously.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HolmanGT

Jul 2, 2013
    St. George, UT USA
    OK - put if you don't here from me by tomorrow afternoon just send me a PM nudge. It is really dog simple... look whom it is coming from. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  19. sedge

sedge Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 8, 2012
    Palm Springs, CA
    That would be very helpful Holman. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  20. HolmanGT

Jul 2, 2013
    St. George, UT USA
    sedge,

This is a picture of the eyelet crimps used on a Lemo 2. It may look like the wires go under the screws but they don't they just butt up against the screws.

The Lemo post screws go thru the eyelet portion of the crimp

These are the eyelet crimps: Crimp end, sterling silver, 3x1mm tube with loop, 0.4mm inside diameter. Sold per pkg of 50. - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

These are the straight crimps if you need to go into a post hole: Crimp, sterling silver, 2x1.1mm micro cut tube, 0.76mm inside diameter. Sold per pkg of 100. - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

sedge, I hope this helps because I am a bad picture taker and I hate doing something that make me feel like if this comes out at all it is only because the wind is out of the West. :-x

If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them but no more pictures. Do you have any idea how hard it is to hold a Cell Phone with a macro lens on still... well it is madding. I bought the macro lens to do stuff like this but no one warned me how difficult it would be. :facepalm:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.