Vaporshark slashing prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. Have been for decades. But yeah...thanks for the "insight" :rolleyes:

NathanielFT expressed a fairly strong negative opinion about Vaporsharks and I was curious to know what experiences he's had that led him to that opinion. Hence the question.
My assumption would have to be the earlier dna 40 chips, throwing screen glitches. I haven't heard many bad reports about the newer batches though.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
The only "glitch" I had with Vaporshark was in actually getting my package to me. Got the tracking number and a week passed and nothing. The tracking never changed from "label created". Called Vaporshark and they said that the USPS most likely did not scan the package when the post office received it. Gave it a couple more days and still no package. Called Vaporshark again and they sent me another one which I got a week later. To this day I still don't know if the USPS lost the package, or if Vaporshark simply never sent the first one to me.

Reactions: Underwhelmed

jstrong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
Virginia
The newer dna 40 throws glitches. I have already addressed this. My POS V4 Hana had the glitch. My last VS with newest chip had a glitch. How would anybody know if the VS glitches. The screen is on the bottom...only way to know is if you watch yourself in the mirror. Yes I know what the response is..Mine hasn't glitched... When Evolv releases a 100% glitch free board that doesn't band aid the glitch with a reset while it is glitching and makes the board user upgrade able I would buy a DNA 40 product. Watch the Rip Trippers Video his newest DNA 40 glitched while doing the video. Here is a response straight from the horses mouth at Hana about the new boards
"Sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your MOD. The board has been updated by Evolv to ensure it does not get stuck in scramble screen mode. The screen may scramble but will reset itself after a few seconds. To have the unit go into left hand mode, please hold the button(s) for a few more seconds simultaneously. Please do not apply pressure to the battery door as it will reset the unit. If you have any further questions, please contact us. Thank you, Julie"

Until Evolv releases a glitch free board and user upgrade able firmware it will continue to be outsold by cheaper Temp Control devices and Yihi boarded mods.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Yep I bailed on this and just purchased the Evic kit in yellow. Black will be a fingerprint magnet, white is sexy no doubt but bright lol, so I said screw it and chose yellow.
Let us know how well it works. Not having to buy batteries and an external charger is a plus there too, so the real cost of an 18650 mod would go up for you. The only thing I'd worry about is warranty and returns if it does have some problems.... and you'll be a beta tester lol. Good luck man.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Let us know how well it works. Not having to buy batteries and an external charger is a plus there too, so the real cost of an 18650 mod would go up for you. The only thing I'd worry about is warranty and returns if it does have some problems.... and you'll be a beta tester lol. Good luck man.
For sure, it should be here Monday.

NathanielFT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Problem 1 was the poor quality finish that'll have marks and scratches within a few days unless you keep it in 'skin', but i don't like these.

Problem 2 is the jumpy ohm's which makes this thing impossible to get a consistent vape on. I'm aware this is a problem with Evolv more then VS, and the DNA40 V5 has the 'resistance lock' feature, not aware of any version of VS with a DNA40 v5 though.

Problem 3 is the 5 month warranty. If i'm spending what i'd call premium money, i'd expect at least a 1 year warranty.

Problem 4 is the price after considering all of the above is not even close to reasonable.

There are now a few superior alternatives with plenty more on the way - the SX mini M class is not much more but you get so much more for your money it's the best Temp control/regulated mod on the market right now IMO. The IPV4 is not much of a looker but again it works well and is a much fairer price then a VS, and the IPV D2 soon to drop is a beaut, as small as the cloupor mini but with YiHi guts and TC, and i'm betting on a great price too. The Evic VT is too new to comment on but Joyetech have been chucking out some winners recently, then you have the HCigar VT40, stunning device with a spring loaded 510 and a DNA40 V5 so no jumpy ohms.

This is just me though, I know there are plenty of people who say they're happy with their VS's

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
RE Problem 2, my rDNA40 has the atty lock feature.

RE Problem 3, the warranty now is only 4 months, but that is still longer than the warranty you get from any Chinese made mods.

RE Problem 4, they just lowered the price $60

SXmini has a one year warranty, as does the IPV4 IIRC.

NathanielFT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
RE Problem 2, my rDNA40 has the atty lock feature.

RE Problem 3, the warranty now is only 4 months, but that is still longer than the warranty you get from any Chinese made mods.

RE Problem 4, they just lowered the price $60

That's good newer versions have the atty lock feature, too bad for anyone who got the old one :/

Vaporshark might be designed in the US but it is a chinese made mod. And 4 months is less then almost any mod in the same price range which is typically 1 year - even Fasttech offer a 6 month warranty on their products, including their Vaporshark clones lol (now removed).

They have only lowered the price to what it should have been in the first place.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
That's good newer versions have the atty lock feature, too bad for anyone who got the old one :/

Vaporshark might be designed in the US but it is a chinese made mod. And 4 months is less then almost any mod in the same price range which is typically 1 year - even Fasttech offer a 6 month warranty on their products, including their Vaporshark clones lol (now removed).

They have only lowered the price to what it should have been in the first place.
So doesn't that mean the Chinese made SX Mini should only be $130 as well?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Vape mail! Been playing with my brand new rDNA40 since it came in, about an hour ago. Have only been using it down around 10-12 watts since I don't have anything good to top it with yet (wanted a Subtank, but needed something that would fire a Subtank before I bought one...at least this will work with my current toppers, even if it's only at the lower power settings; if I had bought the Subtank first, it wouldn't have worked at all with my ego batt.) Even after all the videos I had watched, I just was not prepared for how friggin' tiny this thing is! Shorter than my ego battery (650 mAh, twist) and just barely taller than my 510cc without the tank. And, small though it may be, it's certainly got quite a heft to it. It feels extremely heavy for its size. Holding this, after being used to an ego battery, is going to be like holding the ego battery after being used to regular cigarettes! My only complaint is something that has also been mentioned by others, and that's the buttons -- they don't exactly feel "cheap," but they are certainly a bit looser than I would like to see in a gadget that costs as much as this does. [Edit: Also, I suppose that I would like it if the fire button flashed like the ego does when coming in/out of lock mode, so I could know if it was successful without flipping it over to look at the screen. I do feel like this finish is gonna get marred up pretty easily, too. I guess I'd better get myself a shark skin to keep it looking nice.] Overall, though, I'm still pretty stoked about it. Hopefully even more so, after I get a decent tank to top it with.

Last edited:
Reactions: dems86

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Just wait until you have to charge it for the first time. I absolutely love the zip charging. The battery can down to the point where it will no longer fire, I plug it in and go cook and eat dinner and when I come back it is fully charged.
I've heard it's good for the battery if you drain it fully once before charging, is that right? I already chain-vaped off it for an hour or so and the battery meter is only down by like one pixel -- at this rate it's gonna take for-ever to drain it all the way down.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
The internal battery in my year and a half old MVP2 is down to about 6 hours, for me. Last summer I just happened to pick up the VS rDNA30 and I am grateful that I can replace the battery someday.

The rDNA40, at $130, is great but I just have to many mods. I really like my rDNA30. Because I have a bunch of mods, I notice peculiarities that I didn't realize when I bout them. The VS is a good mod.

NathanielFT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
So doesn't that mean the Chinese made SX Mini should only be $130 as well?

You get much more for money with an SX Mini M Class
  • Higher wattage capability
  • Brighter and clearer screen
  • Much more features (powerful/powerful+ settings are lovely)
  • 1 year warranty
  • upgradable chip
  • Capable of dual 18650 which also increases wattage capability
  • Resistance lock for TC
  • Displays the health of your 18650 cell
  • better looking (IMO)

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
You get much more for money with an SX Mini M Class
  • Higher wattage capability
  • Brighter and clearer screen
  • Much more features (powerful/powerful+ settings are lovely)
  • 1 year warranty
  • upgradable chip
  • Capable of dual 18650 which also increases wattage capability
  • Resistance lock for TC
  • Displays the health of your 18650 cell
  • better looking (IMO)
It's still Chinese though which is part of the argument. The Evolv chips are also DC-DC in temp mode while the SX350j is PWM and the newest DNA 40 chips also have resistance lock. The zip charging feature also gives you a full charge in 90 minutes. The power tests I have seen for both chips also show the DNA 40 as being more accurate.

I own both and use both pretty evenly. For both have their pros and cons. For people who don't need higher watts, the rDNA is a better purchase.

36e107be96d3eddd354a3f9aea6634c7.jpg

bea4504b67aec48f196a6b5131cec4c9.jpg

NathanielFT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
@Oberon75 Dude, each to their own - but no way are you gonna convince me a VS is more bang for buck, and NO WAY will you convince me the Evolv chip is more accurate then an SX350J lmao. Temp adjusts on the DNA40 in 10F increments, unlike the 1F increments on the SX350J. Apart from my comment on the looks, no other advantage i mentioned for the M Class is subjective, its fact.

Just Google search 'SX350J chip issue', then google 'Evolv DNA40 chip issue', see what happened? You only need to search 'DNA40 vs SX350J' to find the general consensus - of course individual opinion and preferences will differ, from mod makers and techy's to end users, they almost all tend to agree the SX350J board is by far superior in pretty much every way it can be. It took Evolv 5 DNA40 versions just to lock in nickel resistance.

Being china-made isn't part of the argument at all, I only highlighted VS being China made as many believe it is made in the USA - i've even seen the 'made in USA' tagline on vendor sites - which i believe is at least a contributing factor towards it's initial unholy price.

BTW in regards to the 'For people who don't need higher watts, the rDNA is a better purchase' comment, you do realize you can turn the power down to 5W/J on the SX Mini right?

Full charge in 90 mins is a great feature, but not fussed personally as 18650 will last me all day and my rotation ensures i've always got a charged battery for the following day

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread