Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Well if your patent goes through and I can't get a VV from anyone else, can you please atleast release your PVs on schedule :p

You WILL be able to get them from other suppliers !! they will have to negotiate with us once this patent issues .

I will try harder to get them out in time SORRY ! I am a one man design and development team so it takes a little longer .

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
it happened like this.
Back on the first half of 2009 a few people discussed the concept of variable voltage using a regulator and a pot.
Nuck comes out with the FISTPACK that is a variable with set voltages and uses a sliding switches.
Buzzkill/Notcigs introduces THE BUZZ and apply for a patent.
Now the V fever starts and everybody comes out with PV's using a regulator and pot.
PROVARI comes out! end of story!!!

I do not know BUT I believe the Provari uses a digital pot ???

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Release pv's on schedule?! Then where would the fun go while waiting weeks..months.. years for a PV to come out?:!

I like your sarcasm !! it is so TRUE even in my case .

It takes a lot of work and time to make one of these things ! lots of prototypes and $$ spent as well as some serious time .

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
So, does this mean that if the patent is granted that other companies will not be able to make VV devices without your permission?

A Patent does not bar products from being developed. It enables continuing development. A Patent holder has a few options when the patent is granted:

Option one... close the door on the competition: By closing the door on the competition the patent holder reserves the right to deny ANYBODY the right to produce the product other than the patent holder. If the Patent holder is a huge company with the ability to produce enough product to fully satisfy the market, they may choose to go down this path. This is generally reserved for REALLY big companies or REALLY stupid small companies...

Option two... License the technology to the marketplace This is the smart move... for a licensing fee, a manufacturer can manufacture a product that contains the core patentable content. The size of this fee is often a percentage of sales, but occasionally it is a fixed fee per unit produced. In either case, there is a negotiation that determines the fee and it makes no sense to charge a fee that cripples or limits the growth of the licensee... this is good business! MANY products you own contain patented technology that has been outlicensed, and it is invisible to you.

misterD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2009
worster - crappychusetts
Ya ya ya I know !! I am in process of upgrading all Notcigs Pv's to a new IC and the VVPV is right there with the Buss Pro and Infinity Pro , I am finalizing a side cover on the VVPV right now .
but WHEN??
Mr. Buzzetti! i thank you for making VV popular and push other people to do the same. If it was someone else they'll price it sky high and it wouldn't be as popular as it is today! In this way you sort of made a lil revolution on the PV underground world.
Please dont stop evolution! :)

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
A Patent does not bar products from being developed. It enables continuing development. A Patent holder has a few options when the patent is granted:

Option one... close the door on the competition: By closing the door on the competition the patent holder reserves the right to deny ANYBODY the right to produce the product other than the patent holder. If the Patent holder is a huge company with the ability to produce enough product to fully satisfy the market, they may choose to go down this path. This is generally reserved for REALLY big companies or REALLY stupid small companies...

Option two... License the technology to the marketplace This is the smart move... for a licensing fee, a manufacturer can manufacture a product that contains the core patentable content. The size of this fee is often a percentage of sales, but occasionally it is a fixed fee per unit produced. In either case, there is a negotiation that determines the fee and it makes no sense to charge a fee that cripples or limits the growth of the licensee... this is good business! MANY products you own contain patented technology that has been outlicensed, and it is invisible to you.

So, other companies can use VV but they have to pay you?

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Okay, I read the patent. IMO getting the patent is a waste of money and trying to defend the patent will be a bigger waste of money. Why? Because while you might get granted a patent on an obvious idea, it won't stand up in court. Let's look at a different example. The guy that developed and patented the weed eater didn't get royalties from all the companies that copied it. The reason is that when he tried to enforce the patent, he was taken to court and the court ruled that cutting stuff with a string was obvious and therefore the patent didn't stand.

You're on a lot more slippery ground here IMO. I'd say that once you start using a heating element to vaporize nic juice applying VV to that heating element is pretty darn obvious. So, there's nothing new there. The VV in the patent uses standard off the shelf components to apply the VV in a standard way. So, nothing new there.

Here's what will happen. The patent is granted. Some small shops get the notice that they are in violation and get out of the business. If they're cheap enough, some medium shops might decide to pay the royalties rather than fight. Somewhere along the line though someone is going to fight and that patent has very little chance of standing. I seriously doubt the money collected will cover the costs of obtaining and defending the patent. The only one that will get any money here is the patent lawyer and most of his fees will be paid by the party obtaining the patent.

There's only one reason to get a patent like this. If you're a small business and you don't get the patent, a big business might get the patent and put you under by taking you to court. However, that doesn't appear to be the motivation here.

I'll also mention that a small business can't afford to alienate it's customers. This move is likely to do just that. Look at the reaction in this thread.

Last edited:

VpnDrgn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Gulfport, MS.
A Utility Patent Hummm ? let me find a good description

Definition: Most patents fall into the utility patent category. Utility patents are subdivided into mechanical, electrical and chemical categories.
In general, a utility patent protects the way an invention is used and works. Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new and useful method, process, machine, device, manufactured item, or chemical compound - or any new and useful improvement to the same.

Utility literally means has purpose or useful function

Maybe I am being dense. You didn't invent the voltage regulator or the potentiometer ( I am sure someone has a patent on these ),
so how does your patent ( if granted ) prevent someone else from designing a device with these components?

alldayvape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Maryland
Can't corner the market with fail mods he is building.

lmao. Stownz go back to the hole you crawled out of. You're a mean person. You do not have any manners and it shows over and over again. You are not a contribution to the community, instead you'd rather further the divide. Grow up.

The Buzz is one kick ..., solid VV mod.

You're just mad you didn't think of patenting the VV PV's first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread