Status
Not open for further replies.

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
Just got my Velocity from Slowtech.

All I can say is WOW!

Running dual 28ga spaced, 12 wraps, 2mm. Came out to 0.99 ohms., ~40 watts.

I hope these clouds don't condense and rain all over my computers!

Flavor is good, too, although I suspect that my current build isn't flavor-oriented. I'll try another build in the next few days.

Thanks to this thread and all who live here for the great info on the rda!

-Johntodd

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
Running a single coil 26ga twisted, 2.5mm ID, I think around 10 wraps or so? came out to 0.66 ohm. Built through the center of the posts. I had to drop power down to 40 watts with the current liquid I am using because it was super intense and making me cough every time. I have to say I am enjoying it quite a bit, flavor is quite good.

Coil needs to be cleaned and I singed the wick slightly when I was distracted and didn't drip before taking that last hit.(OUCH) , but here it is

d0c52bc8aea04f63acaa49cb8ea9dade.jpg

Last edited:

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Hey guys n gals. What's the lowest build one can do on the Velocity RDA? I have a Tobeco clone and believe I have just killed mine.

I attempted a parallel wrap for the first time and it read 0.13 oHms. The wires I used were a Clapton wire (Kanthal 28gax2+32ga) paralleled with Kanthal 24ga. I've never built this low, but out of curiosity I decided to proceed. Whilst trying to get my coils to heat up evenly, I had noticed the RDA was getting too hot. I then noticed that the positive post has raised up, along with the peak.

It looks like I've done something stupid :( I should've done more research.

Reactions: gadgetkeith

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
Hey guys n gals. What's the lowest build one can do on the Velocity RDA? I have a Tobeco clone and believe I have just killed mine.

I attempted a parallel wrap for the first time and it read 0.13 oHms. The wires I used were a Clapton wire (Kanthal 28gax2+32ga) paralleled with Kanthal 24ga. I've never built this low, but out of curiosity I decided to proceed. Whilst trying to get my coils to heat up evenly, I had noticed the RDA was getting too hot. I then noticed that the positive post has raised up, along with the peak.

It looks like I've done something stupid :( I should've done more research.

I have not had any issues like that, the only time my post/insulator has moved is when the center pin is adjusted. Tightening back down all the way made it sit back in place. Might want to double check it.
I run .11-.13 Nickel builds in mine often, never had issues.

I don't have any experience with using claptons as part of a parallel personally, but it probably generates an immense amount of heat. The insulator is supposed to be PEEK, so it can withstand a lot. Check as well for signs of damage.

Reactions: KayP

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
Playing with builds again. This is dual 26 ga N80 wire, about 10 wraps on 2.5mm. Came out to 0.24

Edit: Hits pretty nice, flavor is great, a bit too power hungry for my normal building, but fun to try out. I don't have a drill with me, so I had to hand twist it. LOL
I don't know that I really prefer it over simpler builds.

fa0a88e9cc53c3c0a2d894b9ff8636c7.jpg

sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
Edit: Hits pretty nice, flavor is great, a bit too power hungry for my normal building, but fun to try out. I don't have a drill with me, so I had to hand twist it. LOL
I don't know that I really prefer it over simpler builds.
sent using Tapatalk

I take it back, this is really doing wonderful for me. Maybe I just needed to break it in a bit and find a sweet spot. I am running at 74 watts and really loving it now.

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
also tried this build earlier but was kinda afraid to use it after a while, way too hungry for power
4D0d3O-cxjk.jpg
I absolutely loved my Velocity from the day I tried it, so much so I disassembled, cleaned and boxed all my other attys, but then one dreadful day I tried a cazy wire build (something akin to yours) and I ended up melting its insulator and damaging my 521 tab [emoji53]

A new Velocity is making its way to me.. Yay! I miss that smiling rda [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
What's the lowest build one can do on the Velocity RDA?
0.07Ω is the lowest I have gone on an authentic Velocity (lightly twisted 22/26g titanium) on a dual parallel. But this is where the Velocity V2 shines as its thicker top cap and repositioned indirect airflow holes support low builds with high coil mass far better than the original. I have taken the V2 down to 0.05Ω (lightly twisted 22g titanium) on a triple parallel with superb results.

Reactions: Tol and bsidb

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
0.07Ω is the lowest I have gone on an authentic Velocity (lightly twisted 22/26g titanium) on a dual parallel. But this is where the Velocity V2 shines as its thicker top cap and repositioned indirect airflow holes support low builds with high coil mass far better than the original. I have taken the V2 down to 0.05Ω (lightly twisted 22g titanium) on a triple parallel with superb results.
:eek: The V2's out?! Time for google-fu.

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
Anyone know the size of the hex screws and what size hex screwdriver to buy?

[edit] looked at the one avid was selling. Says 1.5mm so I assume it's that. If not I just wasted bucks on a hex screwdriver

That should be the right size for the authentic, might be slightly different on the clones, not sure on that. I use a clone and I replaced mine with the slotted screws avid sells and they work great

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
I absolutely loved my Velocity from the day I tried it, so much so I disassembled, cleaned and boxed all my other attys, but then one dreadful day I tried a cazy wire build (something akin to yours) and I ended up melting its insulator and damaging my 521 tab [emoji53]

A new Velocity is making its way to me.. Yay! I miss that smiling rda [emoji4]

Just in case you hadn't seen them, if you are using the Tobeco Velocity clone, Vaping Walrus has replacement decks for around $7. I might grab another when they come back in stock, just to have an extra deck to build as a backup to bring with me, all wicked and ready to roll.

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Just in case you hadn't seen them, if you are using the Tobeco Velocity clone, Vaping Walrus has replacement decks for around $7. I might grab another when they come back in stock, just to have an extra deck to build as a backup to bring with me, all wicked and ready to roll.
I'll check it out. Thanks dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread