Video review: Johnson Creek "Kona Coffee"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejfan1977

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Kingston, Washington
Yeah...I had to do a full cleaning on my atomizer (like I was going to do a whole new review) to get the taste out of there.

Rotten.

And, no...it doesn't taste like coffee, at all. Tuna fish, all day. And I agree...if that had been my first vape...I'd still be on the Marlboros, methinks.

I gave it a 5, though, because it was better than the puke flavored stuff and I recon that SOME people may like it...I'm trying to stick with the idea that flavor is subjective.

And I'm glad you like my reviews...I plan on doing bunches more and I enjoy hearing that people are getting good information from them. The positive feedback I get is the primary reason I keep going on with them. If people weren't getting anything from them, I'd quit.

My next mission is to start reviewing e-cigs. Those will be slow going, though, because I don't feel like shelling out hundreds of dollars on hardware. If distributors were willing to send samples for review purposes I'd be cranking them out like there was no tomorrow but I can't even get them to do that with the liquids (Which I find odd...One would think that positive press would help them, if their product is any good) so...They'll happen as I can afford to make them happen.

Just an idea... Maybe some us of can help you out a little with the costs or donate some flavors of e-juice that you haven't reviewed yet. Hey, I would be willing to shell out a few bucks.:rolleyes: I know you are spending a lot of your time and money on this and I for one appreciate it. You are doing such a damned good job.:thumbs:

You may look into setting up a paypal account to receive donations for the cause.

Hey everybody what do you think? I know a lot of us are half broke because of our new obsession, but maybe a few bucks here and there can help Terraphon out so he can keep on pumpin' out the awesome reviews!:)

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Just an idea... Maybe some us of can help you out a little with the costs or donate some flavors of e-juice that you haven't reviewed yet. Hey, I would be willing to shell out a few bucks.:rolleyes: I know you are spending a lot of your time and money on this and I for one appreciate it. You are doing such a damned good job.:thumbs:

You may look into setting up a paypal account to receive donations for the cause.

Hey everybody what do you think? I know a lot of us are half broke because of our new obsession, but maybe a few bucks here and there can help Terraphon out so he can keep on pumpin' out the awesome reviews!:)

I do have a basic paypal account but...As much as I appreciate the offer, I'm not sure I'd feel right taking money from the community...Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have my review bills taken care of, but I think the community as a whole is already up to its eyeballs in spending on atomizers, batteries, chargers, bottles, cartridges, liquid, etc...I'm in the same boat as everyone else and I'd honestly feel like a heel taking people's money to do reviews.

I would gladly accept samples from the manufacturers but, again, I don't think the community should pay for me or anyone else to do reviews.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Even after taking one for the team by reviewing the Kona Coffee?? I mean OMG! The fact that you did it without gagging was amazing! Well it was just an idea... I hope I didn't offend you with the offer. Keep up the good work!

Oh, no, no offense at all believe me.

Like I said, I'd love to get the juice for my reviews without having to pay for it out of my own pocket but I just wouldn't feel right taking the money from the community.

I guess I feel like I'm doing this as a service to the community...that's something I enjoy; being able to contribute in a positive and meaningful manner...If I'm the one that has to take the hit to the wallet because I got some crappy juice then I'd rather it be me and not hundreds of others out there. It just seems to me that taking money from the community I'm trying to serve would be...dishonorable...That's the best way I can think to word it.

EDIT : Also, in comparison to JC's Original Tobacco, vaping this juice is like sipping a fine wine.

Trust me.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
coffeeserious.jpg

Ron43

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
U.S.
uhm..

I'll venture to say that you're NOT drinking real Kona if you think it's heavy and dark tasting. Based on what you've said here, you're likely drinking a "Kona Blend" which is typically only 10% Kona.

1) True Kona costs anywhere from $30 to $50 per pound for the medium roast stuff. When you get up to the dark roast stuff (like peaberry and extra fancy) you're going to chuck out a LOT of cash. I bought 1/3 pound of Peaberry a couple years back for $42 (as compared to regular, store-bought coffees which average $7 per pound)

2) Kona coffee is not acidic...it is known, world wide, for being of mild acidity, very bright in flavor, not dark at all.

3) Kona is known for having a light to medium body and NOT being heavy. It is a medium weight coffee with very little residual flavor. It rests light on the tongue and tends to finish very smooth.

4) Kona is, generally speaking, deceptively strong in caffiene but not in flavor. The flavor of Kona coffee varies WIDELY depending on the grade of the bean and which part of the mountain it grew on. The cheap stuff we get here on the main land (the medium roasts) are known to be light in flavor with nutty or buttery tones.

If you're drinking something that's dark, heavy, acidic and very, very strong, you're not drinking Kona coffee.

Make sure that the beans you're getting your coffee from are 100% government certified, 100% Kona coffee beans. I'm sure you're going to find that you're drinking something else (like an extra dark roast (French / Italian roast) arabica with a 10% kona grove #1 or emporium prime blend).

Trust me on this. I've been drinking 100% Kona for 15+ years and have had every recognized grade.

Being a fellow coffee lover (and living on the Big Island of Hawaii) I have to say that your description of Kona is very good. I do, however, feel that freshly roasted peaberry has a pretty long finish with a residual flavor that lingers on the tongue due to the coffee oil that floats on the top. I'm making my own mouth water just thinking about it. Don't you just love the smell of those shiny beans when you first open the bag?

The reason I'm writing is to tell you that I have noticed a steady decline in the quality of the coffee here. I recently got some coffee from my wife's friend who has a farm in Kealakekua and noticed a decline in flavor which I believe was due to a freshness issue. Also, with many more growers and roasters, consistent quality has become a problem. Since you drink Kona regularly, you probably purchase from a proven seller but I just thought I'd mention what I have been seeing.

Ron

p.s. I appreciate your video reviews :D

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Thanks for the info, Ron. I just got a nice bag of Peaberry sent over and it's pretty good. I don't ever get "fresh" Kona, though, since I live on continent so I may not know the difference but...this stuff is damned good.

Yes, you're right...Peaberry, being a darker roast, is a heavier flavor...The darker roasts having more oils because of the longer cook time. I guess my point in that post I made was that the majority of the stuff we get on continent is the medium roast stuff and it's going to be rather mild.

Also, the chances of a coffee shop out here serving peaberry to its customers out here are slim enough...Make that for less than $10 a cup and it just won't happen. As it is, specialty shops are charging upwards of $5 for a cup of crappy Central American arabica that's been over-roasted so much it hardly resembles coffee any more...Throw some top grade Kona in there and they'll over-charge like mad.

So...Basically...There's no way the person I replied to has been drinking pure Kona, IMO.

Me? I just coarse ground a little batch that'll be cooked up in the morning before work. I need to get a new coffee press, though...This drip maker is for the birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread