The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Video review: Johnson Creek "Kona Coffee"

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Reviews' started by Terraphon, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Terraphon

Terraphon Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    HOLY MY GOD THE PRICE OF PEABERRY HAS GONE DOWN

Time to order about 10 pounds!!

2. smokingclam

smokingclam Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2009
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    Hey Terra have you ever tried roasting your own beans? I buy the green beans and do them myself when funds permit. Nothing beats fresh roasted.:)

3. Terraphon

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I haven't no.

I'm not even sure one can get unroasted Kona...I'll have to check.

4. ejfan1977

ejfan1977 Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2009
    Kingston, Washington

Just an idea... Maybe some us of can help you out a little with the costs or donate some flavors of e-juice that you haven't reviewed yet. Hey, I would be willing to shell out a few bucks.:rolleyes: I know you are spending a lot of your time and money on this and I for one appreciate it. You are doing such a damned good job.:thumbs:

You may look into setting up a paypal account to receive donations for the cause.

Hey everybody what do you think? I know a lot of us are half broke because of our new obsession, but maybe a few bucks here and there can help Terraphon out so he can keep on pumpin' out the awesome reviews!:)

5. smokingclam

smokingclam Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2009
    Punta Gorda, Florida
  6. Doostin

Doostin Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    "please, please! I get a bigger throat hit off of a glass of water!" -Terraphon

Hahahah!!!

7. Terraphon

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I do have a basic paypal account but...As much as I appreciate the offer, I'm not sure I'd feel right taking money from the community...Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have my review bills taken care of, but I think the community as a whole is already up to its eyeballs in spending on atomizers, batteries, chargers, bottles, cartridges, liquid, etc...I'm in the same boat as everyone else and I'd honestly feel like a heel taking people's money to do reviews.

I would gladly accept samples from the manufacturers but, again, I don't think the community should pay for me or anyone else to do reviews.

8. ejfan1977

ejfan1977 Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2009
    Kingston, Washington
    Even after taking one for the team by reviewing the Kona Coffee?? I mean OMG! The fact that you did it without gagging was amazing! Well it was just an idea... I hope I didn't offend you with the offer. Keep up the good work!

9. Terraphon

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Oh, no, no offense at all believe me.

Like I said, I'd love to get the juice for my reviews without having to pay for it out of my own pocket but I just wouldn't feel right taking the money from the community.

I guess I feel like I'm doing this as a service to the community...that's something I enjoy; being able to contribute in a positive and meaningful manner...If I'm the one that has to take the hit to the wallet because I got some crappy juice then I'd rather it be me and not hundreds of others out there. It just seems to me that taking money from the community I'm trying to serve would be...dishonorable...That's the best way I can think to word it.

EDIT : Also, in comparison to JC's Original Tobacco, vaping this juice is like sipping a fine wine.

Trust me.

10. SSRob

SSRob Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2009
    Oklahoma! USA
    Tastes/smells like old vegetable oil to me. Sorry I bought 30ml of it now.

11. SSRob

SSRob Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2009
    Oklahoma! USA
    so far my favorite Coffee flavor is the one that SmokingEverywhere uses in their cartridges. Don't know where they get their juice but it's like a nice strong cappucino with sugar.

12. Terraphon

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
  13. Ron43

Ron43 Full Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2009
    U.S.
    Being a fellow coffee lover (and living on the Big Island of Hawaii) I have to say that your description of Kona is very good. I do, however, feel that freshly roasted peaberry has a pretty long finish with a residual flavor that lingers on the tongue due to the coffee oil that floats on the top. I'm making my own mouth water just thinking about it. Don't you just love the smell of those shiny beans when you first open the bag?

The reason I'm writing is to tell you that I have noticed a steady decline in the quality of the coffee here. I recently got some coffee from my wife's friend who has a farm in Kealakekua and noticed a decline in flavor which I believe was due to a freshness issue. Also, with many more growers and roasters, consistent quality has become a problem. Since you drink Kona regularly, you probably purchase from a proven seller but I just thought I'd mention what I have been seeing.

Ron

p.s. I appreciate your video reviews :D

14. Terraphon

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Thanks for the info, Ron. I just got a nice bag of Peaberry sent over and it's pretty good. I don't ever get "fresh" Kona, though, since I live on continent so I may not know the difference but...this stuff is damned good.

Yes, you're right...Peaberry, being a darker roast, is a heavier flavor...The darker roasts having more oils because of the longer cook time. I guess my point in that post I made was that the majority of the stuff we get on continent is the medium roast stuff and it's going to be rather mild.

Also, the chances of a coffee shop out here serving peaberry to its customers out here are slim enough...Make that for less than $10 a cup and it just won't happen. As it is, specialty shops are charging upwards of $5 for a cup of crappy Central American arabica that's been over-roasted so much it hardly resembles coffee any more...Throw some top grade Kona in there and they'll over-charge like mad.

So...Basically...There's no way the person I replied to has been drinking pure Kona, IMO.

Me? I just coarse ground a little batch that'll be cooked up in the morning before work. I need to get a new coffee press, though...This drip maker is for the birds.

15. Ron43

Ron43 Full Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2009
    U.S.
    Terraphon-

Oh I totally agree w/ you about Kona not being dark, heavy, or strong. It's all about the unique smooth flavor and aroma. Btw, sent you a pm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.