Status
Not open for further replies.

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Okay...Some test results are in.

I started to test some of the juices I mixed the other day. For this experiment I enlisted the help of the beautiful Mrs. Pinellaspete who had no idea what I was up to. I set-up 2 E-go 650mahs with some testing clearomizers a friend at work had made. They are regular clearomizers with a very short wick and a plug inside the tube so the juice stays near the top by the short wicks. All they need are 2 drops of juice and then they last about as long as 1 analog without refilling. These are really awesome for testing flavors and my friend does a very professional job in making them.

The juices we tested tonight are:

These are all 5ml mixes.

Tobacco/Pear
Control (0% Citrus juice or Vinegar)

Tobacco/Pear
Lemon Juice 4 drops

Tobacco/Pear
Lemon Juice 8 drops

First I loaded 1 PV with the Control and 1 PV with the 4 drops Lemon Juice mix. I put a very small white sticker on the 4 drop clearomizer so I would know which was which. I tested them for myself first, then hunted down Mrs. Pete and asked her to try them. I told her to try each one and tell me what she thought of each and if they tasted different or the same. I then took them in another room and loaded the 4 drops clearomizer with the 8 drops mix and then huffed and puffed though a couple of analogs worth to make sure the clearomizer was now primed with the 8 drop mix. I then floated (Yes I was feeling the Nic buzz!) back to Mrs. Pete and had her taste both again, the Control with zero Lemon Juice and the 8 drop Lemon Juice mix.

Here are Mrs. Pete's comments in regards to each mix:

Tobacco/Pear
Control (0% Citrus Juice or Vinegar)
Mrs. Pete: The flavor is kind of muted in this one. They taste the same but you can't taste the pear as much in this one.

Tobacco/Pear
Lemon Juice 4 drops
Mrs. Pete: This one is good! The flavor is great. You can really taste the pear. It tastes crisp!

Tobacco/Pear
Lemon Juice 8 drops
Mrs. Pete: This one is good but you added something extra. It just has a bit too much of something in it, but I don't know what it is. The pear flavor is definitely there but its just that something extra that is too much. I liked the other one better. (The 4 drops mix)

I agree with Mrs. Pete's comments. The mix with 4 drops of Concentrated Lemon Juice was the best mix. The Pear flavor tasted crisp and juicy. At 8 drops you could just start to taste the Lemon Juice and it seemed to take away a little something from the Pear flavor.

I'm pretty sure this will work with most fruit flavors. Add 4 drops per 5ml of "Real Lemon" lemon juice you can buy at the grocery store and you will be pleasantly surprised! (Real Lemon Juice is made from Citric Acid and the little plastic looking lemon it comes in has a pretty good built in dropper!)

I am going to keep all these flavors I made for this test and periodically test them. I think another benefit of adding these acids to our juices will be flavor stability, but that is still a theory at this point. Only time will tell.

Pete

Last edited:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I just added some LorAnn Tart and Sour to a couple of my fruit mixes and it really made them pop. On the label it says to use less for bringing out the sweet and more for a sour note. I just added 3 drops to 15ml but I may try more after it sits for awhile.

I gotta get some of that

I tried putting 1 Drop of Vinegar in 2ml of DIY Watermelon.

It seems to make the Flavor Richer and somewhat Fuller. Taste a little "Thicker" on the tounge.

Not bad at all.

I'm thinking of trying Vinegar in my DIY Cherry recipe that was never Fantastic. A Good Cherry DIY but Not Great.

Same thing i experience with the vinegar and lemon juice .

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I gotta get some of that

I started using LO's Tart & Sour right at the begining of my DIY and it makes a big difference with the fruit flavors. I have used it up to two drops per ml for the Jolly Rancher type flavors (My DW's all day). I purchase it locally at Hobby Lobby but have seen it in a grocery store just don't remember which one.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Hmmm.... not sure if it is psychological or not but I can taste a bit of the lemon in the RY4 I whipped up. Will have to look at the spreadsheet to see how many drops per 5ml I did. Although I have to say that it is very much in the background, and actually makes it a bit better than the original recipe I was using.

EDIT: Either psychologically tasting the lemon or got used to it cause not tasting it now (about 1/2 hour later).

Last edited:

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Okay...Tasted the Tobacco/French Vanilla mixes from the other night.

The 5ml batches we taste tested today were:

Tobacco/French Vanilla
Control (0% Citrus Juice or Vinegar)

Tobacco/French Vanilla
Apple Cider Vinegar 4 drops

Tobacco/French Vanilla
Apple Cider Vinegar 8 drops

Tobacco/French Vanilla
Malt Vinegar 4 drops

Tobacco/French Vanilla
Malt Vinegar 8 drops

These were Strong Tobacco with French Vanilla mixes. The results were the same as with the Pear from the other night. The 2 mixes that had 4 drops of Vinegar were the best. The vinegar mellowed the strong tobacco flavor and allowed more of the French Vanilla to come through. At 4 drops per 5ml you could NOT taste the vinegar. At 8 drops per 5ml you could just start tasting a hint of the vinegar and that started detracting from the overall taste. The 8 drops per 5ml still tasted better than the control mix without any vinegar.

There may have been a slight difference between the Apple Cider Vinegar and the Malt Vinegar but it was such a slight difference that I wouldn't bet money that I could tell which was which.

I will save these juices so I can periodically test them to see how they maintain their flavors.

I will be adding Lemon Juice or Vinegar to all my juices from here on out.

Still up to be tested is the Caramel Color. If you remember from past posts, Caramel Color is also highly acidic but has a taste of burnt sugar. I was just notified today that my order shipped so I might see it by Saturday.

Has anyone else tried Lemon Juice or Vinegar in your mixes? What were your results?

Pete

I had made up an experimental bottle of something akin to Adam's Apple for days just like today, where I have a sore throat and may be coming down with something. I popped a LR 306 atty on my SS ePower, slipped on the dripshield and 306 XL drip tip and put a few drops in. Kinda' perfumey.

It's a 30ml bottle, and I added 5 drops cider vinegar and shook vigorously. Put a few more drips on the atty, and wow, what a noticeable difference. Perfume aspect is gone, and really mellowed out the menthol.

Pete, I wonder what your results would be @ 2 drops per 5ml?

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I've been vaping the Strawberry Cheesecake today and can't put it down. Since I added the 4 drops of Tart & Sour to the 15mL bottle the strawberry not only pops but the flavor stays in my mouth longer and it's wonderful!..................................................... (cat on keyboard!) :laugh:

Awesome . I have to try some of that . Its pretty cheap too .

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Thank you so much pinellaspete! I have a friend that is unable to taste even the strongest mixes for long because of a cancer med that she takes. I have been racking my brains trying to figure out how to boost the flavors for her and this may be just the ticket! I am going to try it and I will report back.
You may have just helped my friend more than you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread