Vladdin RE

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Also forgot to mention. I have had to tap many of them HARD on a rigid surface to "kick start" the coils again. I have no idea why this works. But it does. Usually 3 or 4 hard taps facing downward seems to do the truck.

I have one of these coming from China (won in comp) the kit and a pack of replacement pods...I hope mine work ok :yawn:

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2019
Asia-Pacific
Wow !
So many issues going around with those pods, may I compare the batch number which is on side of the box to see whether I have some of my bought stocks to test out ? @Slipstreem @kerubin

This is because I had stopped using it for while now but had stocked them up, just in case I couldnt find any better pod system.

be well,

Reactions: BillW50

Slipstreem

Aug 10, 2018
I threw away all the boxes as well. I have 2 left, but these may have got jumbled around a bit since I've ordered at least 7-8 batches of 4 packs each.
1.jpg
2.jpg

sycojt

Feb 6, 2019
Anyone have the issue of brown liquid(juice) appearing in the pipe in the middle where the vapour normally comes out of?
I'm wondering what it is and what causes it to appear, sometimes it disappears when putting the vape upright.
I'm trying to figure out what causes it to rise and is it toxic if it spits out onto your tongue, which is pretty often?

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Anyone have the issue of brown liquid(juice) appearing in the pipe in the middle where the vapour normally comes out of?
I'm wondering what it is and what causes it to appear, sometimes it disappears when putting the vape upright.
I'm trying to figure out what causes it to rise and is it toxic if it spits out onto your tongue, which is pretty often?
Hi - I use clear liquid so it's hard to tell, but I don't think so. There's been no obvious flooding or gurgling. How thin is your liquid (pg/vg)? I tend to use fairly thin stuff e.g. no more than 50% VG. Does it happen with pods you've been using for a while?

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2019
Asia-Pacific
I threw away all the boxes as well. I have 2 left, but these may have got jumbled around a bit since I've ordered at least 7-8 batches of 4 packs each. View attachment 799759 View attachment 799761
Thank you for the pictures, i will get to you once I checked out mine.

Yes, it appears to happen slighlty often. I had them too and I have seen some other members had it too. (I think from the thread someone had it mention)

Normally, I clean it from time to time to prevent gurgling and often the spit backs.

What I have done, is to use a tissue and round it up as small as the middle pipe and clean it up a bit, this helps me with the spit backs and get a smoother taste draw too.

Be well,

• Informative

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2019
Asia-Pacific
I threw away all the boxes as well. I have 2 left, but these may have got jumbled around a bit since I've ordered at least 7-8 batches of 4 packs each. View attachment 799759 View attachment 799761
Ok, i got them now.
Hmm, interesting, the batch number looks and starts different from mine and maybe a newer batch as I had mine just around 2 month. Additional, mine never had any issue or duds and was working 4-6 days until the weird tastes starts. Only a little bit of leaking if I let it soak or while inserting the liquid without putting the finger on the bottom airhole.

Only 1 that I burnt and flooded after the first use that actually came with the package.

About the tapping on a hard surface, could be that the wire is not proper connected to the gold plate maybe due to a low QC ?

Be well,

Attachments

• IMG_20190227_015045.jpg
    IMG_20190227_015045.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 19

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Here's a 2-week review from an experienced vaper.

I decided to buy a Vladdin so I would have something for stealth vaping, and to use while I'm doing maintenance on my sub-ohm mod. I've been a steady vaper for over six years and haven't used a "pod" system before.

I bought the Vladdin RE kit, and a box of 4 empty replacement pods (batch VSGV8880830). I also bought a bottle of 50/50 salt nic 50mg juice. Out of the box I was highly impressed with the flavor that came through. It's my first time trying salt nic and I was amazed by the satisfaction provided by even this low-wattage device. Was also astonished that this tiny tank of juice can last all day. My issues have all been with leaking.

1st pod that came with the device, used for the two weeks with about ten refills:
Carried the device around in my pocket during work shifts and vaped on breaks. Was great for the first week, but then I began to notice that by the end of the day that the contacts were moist with juice. Cleaned with a Q-tip inside the device to limit the possibility of excess juice from wicking down into the internal electronics. Was able to pinpoint the source of the leak with confidence to the air hole at the bottom of the pod. Apparently the no-leak seal failed. Possibly my fault since I was stress testing it and misusing it by blowing through it at times.

2nd pod, yesterday, from the replacement pack:
Leaked all its juice onto the table while it was left to saturate after the initial filling. Continued leaking heavily during use. Must have been defective.

3rd pod, yesterday, from the replacement pack:
Minor amounts of juice around the contacts after a day of use.

One issue I found common to all pods: After filling, the center chimney contains some juice that gurgles and leaks. Can be cleared by twisting a 1cm strip of tissue and pushing it down the chimney to soak it up. Alternatively, ignore it until it clears naturally. Instructions to fill at 45 degrees and to slowly insert the rubber gasket didn't help noticeably. Suspect this is a result of the pressure differential when the gasket is inserted causing juice to be forced out. Not much to be done about this—I've encountered post-filling leaks like this on numerous systems over the years.

Regarding juice in the internal electronics: I believe my concern was unwarranted. I'm unable to suck any air out of the thing with the pod removed, but I am able to suck air through the USB connector, which tells me that the contact chamber is sealed from the electronics compartment and a bit of juice in there isn't going to hurt anything. Good engineering by Vladdin.

Was initially disappointed about the lack of battery life indicator, but it turns out that battery lasts as long as a tank of juice, so I can just judge by the juice level. Nice window, by the way.

Am satisfied with the draw activation. Was able to adapt easily to not having a fire button; without one I don't have to worry about locking it to avoid accidental firing. The sensitivity is about right and draw is comfortably tight for mouth-to-lung use. Interestingly, there is no obvious external air hole to be seen. The external air actually enters through the small gap where the pod and device join, just below the clear window, around the entire circumference of the device. More good engineering.

Can vape on this thing continually with very consistent results. No dry hits ever and no noticeable reduction in satisfaction as the charge diminishes. Battery also recharges quickly. Read that it takes an hour but it's more like 30 minutes if it's not completely dead.

Conclusion: This device is growing on me. I might be able to justify paying for commercially manufactured juice again, since it seems a 30mL bottle will last at least a month. I am confident of the build quality of this unit with the exception of the one defective pod. It does not leak externally but does require daily internal cleaning with a Q-tip. It's compact and minimalist, which I like—fewer things to go wrong. Pod life seems to be at least 2 weeks. Most tellingly, there are times when I actually find myself preferring the Vladdin to my sub-ohm cloud maker. It'll take a few months to see whether this device holds up well, but I'm tentatively very pleased with it.

Startup Cost: $30 kit + $19 replacement pods + $22 juice = $71
Est. Ongoing Cost: $10/mo pods + $20/mo juice = $30/mo

Device - Copy.jpg

contact chamber - Copy.jpg

assembly - Copy.png

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
I have been vaping my RE now for two weeks and i'm still on the first pod. It doesn't really suit my style of vaping (bit too restrictive) but would agree with others that with high strength salts it's still very satisfying. I use homemade 36mg/ml.

Flavour is good but I found there was a break in period as my pod tasted unpleasant until about the 3rd fill up.

I've had absolutely no problems with any kind of leaking except occasionally when filling which is just user error. Unlike the above review I can draw through mine without the pod so presumably this means that the electronics aren't air tight and could suffer after a leaky pod.

Time will tell :)

• Agree

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I've had absolutely no problems with any kind of leaking except occasionally when filling which is just user error. Unlike the above review I can draw through mine without the pod so presumably this means that the electronics aren't air tight and could suffer after a leaky pod.

Not airtight eh? With such wide variance between reports I'm thinking QA is inadequate. Vladdin is pretty new to the scene and manufacturing processes may improve over time. Or it could be intended to be semi-disposable. That would be disappointing but not unexpected considering the low price. I bet you could seal the contact chamber with some JB Weld Plastic Bonder in the channels around the bottom edges of the chamber, if you wanted to put in that kind of effort, but you'd have to be sparing to avoid restricting the airflow.

It's very hard to find reliable and durable vaping products. Almost all of them seem to degrade or fail before a year is out, and planned obsolescence is everywhere.

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Not airtight eh? With such wide variance between reports I'm thinking QA is inadequate. Vladdin is pretty new to the scene and manufacturing processes may improve over time. Or it could be intended to be semi-disposable. That would be disappointing but not unexpected considering the low price. I bet you could seal the contact chamber with some JB Weld Plastic Bonder in the channels around the bottom edges of the chamber, if you wanted to put in that kind of effort, but you'd have to be sparing to avoid restricting the airflow.

It's very hard to find reliable and durable vaping products. Almost all of them seem to degrade or fail before a year is out, and planned obsolescence is everywhere.

I am going to have to withdraw that statement. I only tried it twice and I must have had my mouth open a crack letting some air in. Just tried again and it is airtight. It fires the mod though when you suck :)

I think the longevity problems are largely due to the integrated batteries. They all have a shelf life so there wouldn't be much point in spending a huge amount on longevity for the other components. Another issue is price.

I'll report back as time wares on with any negative experience.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I am going to have to withdraw that statement.

k good to hear that was a false alarm and that you haven't encountered any trouble yet.

It fires when you try to draw with the pod removed? How can you tell? If that's the case then the draw sensor is in the device not the pod and plugging it up with sealer would be a terrible idea lol.

In my experience longevity issues have very little to do with integrated batteries and everything to do with fragile components. Most vaping devices just aren't the same after the first time you drop them on the floor. The battery door gets loose. The 510 connector gets bent. Internal contacts go out of tolerance. And then it's never the same. Integrated batteries reduce the number of moving parts and extend longevity.

I can say that my Vladdin survived being dropped on concrete. The pod went flying out and the aluminum corner got dented but it didn't fail. That's why installed the rubber band for grip :D

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
k good to hear that was a false alarm and that you haven't encountered any trouble yet.

It fires when you try to draw with the pod removed? How can you tell? If that's the case then the draw sensor is in the device not the pod and plugging it up with sealer would be a terrible idea lol.

In my experience longevity issues have very little to do with integrated batteries and everything to do with fragile components. Most vaping devices just aren't the same after the first time you drop them on the floor. The battery door gets loose. The 510 connector gets bent. Internal contacts go out of tolerance. And then it's never the same. Integrated batteries reduce the number of moving parts and extend longevity.

I can say that my Vladdin survived being dropped on concrete. The pod went flying out and the aluminum corner got dented but it didn't fail. That's why installed the rubber band for grip :D

I can tell because it activates the light. If you think about it it can't be in the pod because you've got to trigger the power so it must be within the unit...if that makes sense :)

I agree that components could be better but that's the same with everything you buy. Not just vaping. A long time ago I read an interesting book about design and how designers are not given enough attempts to get a product right. Any designer will tell you that it takes at least 7 prototypes to get somewhere nearing good...they're normally only allowed 2 sometimes three tries and then it is simply tested in the market. If it sells they continue making it, if it doesn't it gets scrapped....that's what your up against....keeping costs down :)

Mine hasn't dropped yet but the elastic bands a good idea...good luck to you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread