Volcano issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quit4myKids

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
I feel obligated to share with the ECF community some information that I recently received from Volcano. I am having warranty issues with a LavaTube that I recently purchased from an indecently owned Volcano reseller from Tracy, CA. I contacted Volcano customer service, and was told that all warranty issues need to be handled through the reseller. When I informed them that this particular reseller was in the process of moving their business, and did not currently have an open location, they refused to do anything for me. :glare:

My issue btw, is very clearly a defective product. The variable voltage device flashes the indicator, and will only operate at 3V. In addition, the 510 connector at the top of the device has become loose, and wiggles. I anticipate that within a few weeks the LavaTube will become unusable. The device has not been subject to rough treatment, and has been very gently cared for, as I do with all my electronic devices. I do not carry my PV in my pocket, have never dropped it, and have tested multiple carts, atomizers and batteries to troubleshoot the problem.

Please be aware that this company will only honor warranties for products purchased directly from them. Even though I purchased from a location that had Volcano banners everywhere, and were exclusively selling Volcano products (they weren't selling anything without a Volcano logo), because I assumed the manufacturer would honor warranties on the products they manufactured, I'm out of luck until (and if) the owner opens the doors on their new location (which is much further from me).

Had I known this (and I searched their web site for anything indicating warranty differences based on place of purchase), I would have purchased directly instead of from their reseller (which I did not know was independently owned, rather than a franchise) mall kiosk. Buyer beware!

Quit4myKids

JoeInferno

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Honolulu, HI
www.volcanoecigs.com
As I said in the other post you made:

As the location in question is an Officially Licensed Distributor they handle all their own warranty issues as our CS has told you. Yes they are in the process of moving but they are still doing business. All you have to do is call the number (209)WOW-VAPE (969-8273) they will get you taken care of. As it is stated in their contact info
FREE Delivery for the month of June as we continue renovations! Please call for any orders!
Contact them through that number and they will help you with your warranty issues.

Quit4myKids

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
My point is simply this:
If you are not going to warranty products that weren't purchased online, you should divulge that info in the warranty area on your web site.

If I purchase a Sony portable DVD player while on vacation in Oregon from any store, Sony will honor the warranty at any directly. Most reputable electronic device manufacturers operate like this. Normally if I purchased a product online, an independent reseller of that product would not necessarily offer to replace it under warranty, but refer me to the manufacturer for warranty issues. I understand that Sears wouldn't give me a refund on a product that I purchased from Walmart.

However, Volcano manufactures the Lava Tube, and the fact that you won't warranty the product you manufacture regardless of the distribution chain it was provided through, is in my opinion unusual and an example of poor customer service. Nowhere on your website does it state this policy, the salesperson in the kiosk didn't inform me of this at the time of purchase, and I would never have made the purchase while I was traveling had I been aware of this policy. I did a great deal of research before making my purchase decision, and the fact that there was a reseller on my route made the purchase more convenient than ordering online. Certainly in my case I would have purchased your product online instead, and you would still have a repeat customer. Three of my coworkers were going to purchase products from you directly, and I advised them that the products (Lava Tube and Magma) are a good value, and even after this incident believe they are a good value. After seeing the problems I've had with my device, and my experience with trying to get the device repaired or replaced, they are holding off their purchase to see how my issue will be resolved. One of the three that was going to purchase a Magma kit with a bunch of extras and spares has already changed his mind and has to go with an Ego-C instead.

I have contacted the owner of the business where I made my purchase, and he told me to drive up and he would see what he could do. I'm not sure it's worth a half day of driving in a minivan at $4.24/gallon for gas to meet with the owner at a garden center someplace to maybe get my device replaced. The owner did tell me that there was no hurry, and that I could wait until his store opened, but he couldn't give me a target date. Certainly it would be more convenient and less expensive to just pay shipping costs to you, and you would have a defective device to perform a failure analysis. I'm guessing with the numerous posts here and on other forums about the connector, sticky buttons and end cap issues with Lava Tubes, you're probably aware of the problem.

Since you seem to be unwilling to take into consideration that you a) did not publish this warranty policy, b) the vendor is not near me, and c) the vendor did not disclose the warranty policy, perhaps it's better that I cut my losses and pick up a different PV. After all, if I did get my device replaced by this vendor, I would just have to make the drive again if/when it broke a second time. Too bad, I liked my Lava Tube while it was working. :(

If you change your mind and decide to do the right thing here, let me know.

Q4mK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread